"Pointed Out"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Pointed Out"

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Default"Pointed Out"

For the newbies who might be interested here's a little strategy to consider.
    I have a Lab that is "pointed out" that is to say that he has 12 points and ONE major. Max needs one major (AKC) to finish his championship.
    The game now becomes "Find a confirmation event that has the[I]potential[I] to offer enough Labs to make a major".
    Not as easy as it sounds..depending on where you live and how many Labs are being shown in the region, you might not find many opportunities for a major win.
    Showing a dog that is pointed out where NO major exists is not fair to the other competitors who might be working (showing) hard to get a few points on their dog.
    You cannot tell how many dogs are entered in a confirmation event until after the entries are closed.
    You are, essentially, gambling that enough entries have been made to assure a major.
    If the entries do not include enough dogs for a major, the fair thing to do is become an absentee for that show.
    The good news is that you can save the travel/handler expenses. The bad news is that you have paid entry fee/s that cannot be put to good use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Know what you speak of as this happens plenty of times to people showing rabbits. Trying to get legs (labs get points) and not having enough rabbits entered to be shown. I guess this is just a part of showing animals. With rabbits, there are mini-conventions held, which brings in lots of rabbits to show. Most breeders who are looking for legs go there instead of the smaller shows. Are there dog shows like that?

KAZ

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

But you also have to figure in that if you got BOB and the specials would put the points into a major, then you DON'T stay home.

Why not just send your dog with the handler to an area where the shows are typically larger. You can review entries over the past year and not even waste money entering if the show typically has a smaller entry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    But you also have to figure in that if you got BOB and the specials would put the points into a major, then you DON'T stay home.

Why not just send your dog with the handler to an area where the shows are typically larger. You can review entries over the past year and not even waste money entering if the show typically has a smaller entry.
    That is EXACTLY what I do. Review of past shows can only indicate what happened, 1,2 or 3 years ago...There is no guarantee that what happened before will happen again.
    Paying for a handler when there is no chance for a major is expensive and can deprive others of needed points.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

In my area the shows tend to repeat in the amount of entries. Granted some may fluctuate a bit but for the most part, if it was a major last year, it's not dropping to a 1 point show this year. Our summer shows are always big, our clusters are always big.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    In my area the shows tend to repeat in the amount of entries. Granted some may fluctuate a bit but for the most part, if it was a major last year, it's not dropping to a 1 point show this year. Our summer shows are always big, our clusters are always big.
    Yellowbelly, I am not that fortunate. My area (Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma) varies in attendance (Labs) from year to year. For example, Houston, this year had enough Labs for a major. Max won BOW but due to low attendance on the last day of the show he only got 2 points instead of the needed major.

nicole is offline Senior Member

It's "singled out" not pointed out

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    It's "singled out" not pointed out
    Beg Pardon, the handlers in my area call it pointed out. Singled out would indicate that all points other than majors were singles (1). In my case that would be incorrect. In another venue, singled out would indicate that a person/dog/item was selected for ridicule or some other exception to the norm.
    An AKC dog acquires points, not singles...

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Not sure where you live, but there is a Facebook group for people in the south to build majors. Maybe there's other groups in your area (if you're not in the south) They mostly just post 'who is going to such and such show' types of things, but it helps decide which shows are likely to have majors *before* entries close.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Just trying to help. "Pointed out" would indicate you don't need anymore points. "Singled out" means all the points that COULD be singles are earned, so the dog is looking for it's majors.

But what do I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast