Show Dog Worthy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show Dog Worthy?

Jaw
    Jaw is offline Junior Member

DefaultShow Dog Worthy?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is Gemma, my 4-month old lab, which we bought to get involved in conformation. Anyone who could give me a critique, it would greatly be appreciated. I know it's hard to tell from just pictures but I'm interested in hearing. Thanks.

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hayshakerlabs is offline Senior Member

First hing you do is put her away and let her be a puppy and mature. This is not the age to be looking at her. They are at goofy growth stages at this age. I think she is cute but she is a young and looks like she may have what it takes....but just let her pay and be a puppy right now.
    http://www.hayshakerlabs.com/

Sherry, Saedee, Shyloh, Izzy, Thelma, Natalie, Evon,, Gussa & Parody

LabbyAbbey is offline Member

She is a beautiful dog. I thought the breeder chose their pick at 8 weeks so why not say if she is "show worthy" now? She looks it to me! My sister got her second beloved Brittney at 10 weeks of age from an awesome breeder, and he has already won awards at shows I think while he was still one, he might be turning two soon. He is still very much a puppy. But very well behaved and a perfect example of his breed. At least the judges thought so. (seriously he is a doll though)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Actually breeders check before 8 weeks, 7 weeks is a good age to check them, and then they start growing wonky. Yes, there are puppy classes in conformation, and some puppies "hold together" better than others, but they all go through awkward stages where they don't look their best. I think your puppy looks pretty nice. If you just want to get some show experience, there is nothing wrong with showing her now, knowing that she probably win anything.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I've never shown a dog or had any desire to show a dog. But I do know a cute as heck pup when I see one. She's gorgeous.

nicole is offline Senior Member

If you bought the puppy with the intent of showing, I'm assuming the breeder is quite active in showing him/herself.... that's where I'd direct this question. They should know how she's coming along for their lines.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

And if you bought the dog from a breeder that does NOT show and gave you full registration, you could TRY to show her and maybe you'd do well, but you just never know. Labs are very competetive. You need alot to get points. She's cute, but the real test will be what she looks like at 6 months, 1 year, 2 years....

Jaw

Thanks for all the comments. The breeder sold her to me under limited registration and once i became interested in conformation showing, she told me she thought she'd do we'll, but with no more input than what's been posted here. Really looking for outside opinions before paying the additional money for the full registration. Thanks.

nicole is offline Senior Member

What is your "goal"? Are you looking at showing, getting involved in breed clubs, and developing a breeding program or just giving something new a whirl? Where are you located? What's your girls pedigree (mom & dad)?

As she is right now, you wouldn't be laughed out of the ring but how competitive she'd be would depend on who else is there

Jaw

Nicole - my goal right now is to get involved in the show ring with this dog and have my son become involved as well. He has expressed an interest but is 10 and that can change with the wind; yet after going to a show in Ft Worth his interest has increased. Beyond that, I have not thought of breeding. Sire: GCH CH Briarwood's Eye on the Prize. Dam: Sher-Mi Hearts Desire at Acornoak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast