4H show - need some ideas

Thread: 4H show - need some ideas

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Default4H show - need some ideas

I was asked to judge the dog part of the the local 4H show (round robin), got this information about it:

>>They will be doing only a showmanship pattern and knowledge. So you’ll need to bring a pattern, a figure 8 would be fine, and a couple of general knowledge questions. We don’t use a score sheet, but I could give you one I used at the dog show if you’d like.<<

I showed 4H dog obedience and taught the dog 4H group several years, we didn't do showmanship. What on earth is this fair doing and how do I judge this?

Thanks!
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

If memory serves me right, in Showmanship it's the handler that is judged, not the dog. So I guess you're be looking at things like how well kept the dog looks (groomed, fed, etc), how the handler works with/handles the dog and answers your questions.

patm is offline Senior Member

Also - look up 4'H dog shows on the internet - you can look up your state in particular, but all states are similar in what they require. I've judged Rally and Agility for 4-H 3 years and found alot of helpful infomation on the net.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I agree with MicksMom, Showmanship is generally a class where the handler is judged on how well they handle the dog and answer the required questions. The questions normally range from anatomy to the history of the breed they are handling. Also, I don't know what your particular 4-H rules are, but I've never seen a figure 8 pattern performed in a Showmanship class. I have seen Ls, Ts, triangles, etc. Who knows, maybe 4-H Showmanship is different? Good luck!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

I judged the dog portion of round robin in my county this year. If it is the same kind of round robin as I think it is, you need to realize that most of the participants have never shown a dog before, and just met the dog they must show. Not sure how non-dog kids would know any general knowledge questions about dogs, do they have time to study beforehand?

Here is how it went in my county: Dogs were part of the "small animal" round robin, the grand champion fitting and showing winners from dog, poultry, rabbit, and pygmy goat projects (so four kids in total) each were given a dog (the dog kid kept her own) to show, the dogs were borrowed from other dog project kids. Because the kids had no opportunity to prepare the dogs and no choice in what show lead they used, I did not judge the grooming of the dogs or what "apparel" was used. I had them gait the dogs around the ring and then "stack" the dogs in a line up, very briefly examined each dog to see how well the kid would steady the dog, and had each do an out and back to see how straight a line they would make, whether they made sure to line the dog up with me, etc. Since they don't know dog specific stuff, I just looked at general ability to present any critter. I explained a little (like 3 minutes tops) about how to present a dog before we started, all of the non-dog kids picked up on what I said and followed it very well, in fact doing better than the dog kid.

I wouldn't ask them for an "L" if I were you, should be safe with an out and back or triangle though.

In Idaho, where I am at, showmanship is a requirement of completing the project. What state did you do 4-H in?

Here is the go to guide for 4-H showing and fitting, very complete. http://4h.wsu.edu/dog/showmanship09.pdf

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Thanks y'all! ThreeTs- that showmanship guide is perfect, thanks. I showed in Idaho but then - and this year too - we've never been required to do showmanship. We had to show at the fair in order to complete the project, but it was just obedience. I went to state a couple times and my 4H kids have gone to state and never had to enter the showmanship ring. Maybe we found a loophole? LOL.

I've never seen a figure 8 done in any conformation ring, think I'll stick with something that has straight lines. Thanks for the input. It's this Saturday so I have a couple days to figure out what I'm doing.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTs View Post
    Here is the go to guide for 4-H showing and fitting, very complete. http://4h.wsu.edu/dog/showmanship09.pdf
    That is a WONDERFUL guide to getting started- for any exhibitor and/or judge! Thanks so much for sharing it!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10