Ring Bling and local "styles" in the show ring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring Bling and local "styles" in the show ring

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRing Bling and local "styles" in the show ring

Not sure what the latest styles are elsewhere in the country, but everyone seems to be really getting into "bling" here throughout California in the ring. Specifically, jeweled beads located along nylon or braided leather show leads, both slip leads at specialty shows and show leads with clips for show chains or nylon slip collars. I have found some fantastic sources if anyone is interested... one is a Cavalier breeder who does beautiful braided leather leads with "bling" (colors/choices are yours to decide) for $35-50... She supplies a local dog show vendor whose resale on these is $75-120! (BTW, let me know if you'd like contact information... she is a sweetheart and has wonderful colors!)

What are your more recent "styles" and "trends" where you compete?

I've also found that I've started dressing "up" more often- nice business type fitted jackets with a skirt... even at specialty shows. I figure I see the judges dressed up much more often than not, so I consider it more respectful than my usual jeans and a fun labrador vest/jacket in the specialty ring. I have also gotten far more compliments on my show jackets, how nice I look, and how well I show since I've started doing so. Always fun to get compliments and I love showing, so I think I'll continue this trend. LOL

What seems to work well for you?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I just got Nola a nice leather show lead with some beads on them. I may have gotten one for Ruby too

I always dress 'up' for the show ring. Its fun. I wear scrubs every day to work, so its nice to have an outing that I can dress up a little bit for!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

labby is offline Senior Member

I saw a lot of those leads when in BC. I just either use one of Saudjie's black slip leads or a plain black nylon collar and lead in the ring. I'm not a bling type of gal, plus IMO these are Labradors, not Poodles. They're not a blingy type of breed. Again, IMO.

I also dress casual. Capris/dress shorts and a nice top in the summer and slacks and a nice top/sweater in the winter. I don't own a skirt/dress.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Over the last few years, I've acquired a menagerie of different leads (through trial & error). I've seen the same used in the ring on any given day around here as well, and it doesn't seem to matter anymore if it's a Specialty or All Breed show. However, I do have 3 different "blingy" leads; one braided nylon & leather with a couple silver beads, one braided leather with several crystal, glass & silver beads, and one braided satiny nylon cord with several crystal & silver charms/beads. Of the three, I like the last one best. I never would have thought it was a strong as it is, but it's held up great and was, actually, the least expensive too. I like how nice it feels and it easily scrunches up in my hand (vs. having to work leather into being supple). The lady who makes them usually only sets up her booth at area UKC shows & larger AKC shows and she's willing to custom make them too. Cost is around $20. I have her information (phone number & email) if anyone is interested.

As far as my show apparel, I usually try to dress up too- with the exception of Performance and themed events (for example, a specialty I went to had an Independence Day theme, so I wore something a little more casual & festive vs. dressy). I just feel that it's a matter of respect. I have several dress suits, pant suits, and dresses as well as khakis and nice tops on stand-by for those "lazy days" (when I don't feel like struggling with pantyhose, lol).
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I like the bling collars and leads, but then again for the most part I do performance stuff. It has been years since I have been in the show ring, (hopefully in about 8 months I will be again though). I have show collars for Hoss and Kodi that were about $200.00 each. Once back into the show ring, I imagine I'll have a slitly blingy lead

As far as my attire, slacks and a nice shirt, I do not own a skirt or dress.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

patm is offline Senior Member

I think it depends somewhat if the show if indoors or outdoors. Alot of the dog shows I've been too (mostly as a spectator), are outside, and you have to dress somewhat for the weather. You can always tell the professional handlers from the owner handlers - they are always more dressed up. But when it is sleeting and the wind is blowing, it probably doesn't much matter what you are wearing under your coat and boots.

I hear ya, Laura. I have a whole mess of Saudjie's slip leads in my tack box in the van... usually I show in a lead the same color as the dog, slip always under a breeder-judge (even at Westminster), slip nylon collar/lead at all-breed shows. Virtually all of the "big-name" breeders here on the west coast are showing in nylon or leather slip leads with "bling" though now... rhinestone or other beads spaced apart along the lead portion, crimped on so that they also give you a bit of a "grip" if the lead is sliding through your hand. They are kind of fun, I must admit. If you didn't see them last year at the Potomac, you will probably see more and more this year, I'm guessing. LOL

I always laugh about styles... at least these are dogs. They aren't anywhere near the expense of competing with horses, that's for sure. When I was involved in showing in the Quarter Horse circuit, the style changes would mean $$$$- light oiled saddles one year, dark the next, lots of "chrome" then not so much, close-contact english saddles one year and then more of a jumper saddle the next... hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tack alone to keep up with the "politics" in the show ring (the trainers would always be telling everyone you won't win without this or that), and that wasn't even including the clothing, etc! Ugh.

In California, weather is usually a non-issue, except for trying to stay cool in the summertimes. Monty never did well showing in the heat (he wilts) so I basically stopped showing him in the heat of the summers early on (better for me, too... I hate the heat), and Rogue isn't great in the heat but does relatively well since they don't require all that much animation while stacked in line at all-breed shows (which is all we have in the summertime in CA). It can get pretty chilly in the winter time, though, and occasionally we can get rain during a show. I have a couple of really fun lab-themed rain jackets or wind-breakers/thigh-length coats for those types of days. I always prefer jeans, and most of my biggest wins in the specialty ring have been with jeans on (with a labrador jacket usually). I'm starting to dress up more though on hot days... I hate my legs so am not a big fan of skirts/dresses, but I do think dressing up (more like a handler) gives an edge in the all-breed ring (more "finished" picture) and being that dog shows are basically a little bit of a "game" anyhow, I'm still learning to "play." LOL

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Brette is offline Senior Member

I'm so jealous that you guys get to wear dressy stuff in the ring...kitten heels and pencil skirts. We just don't do that in obedience! Everyone looks like pages from an LL Bean catalog.

MeAndMyLabs is offline Member

I've been seeing a lot of those leads with beads on them around here as well. Not something I would use, beads just don't feel very comfortable when holding the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyLabs View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of those leads with beads on them around here as well. Not something I would use, beads just don't feel very comfortable when holding the lead.
    I'm not sure about all of them, but with my "bling" leads, the beads aren't in an area where I hold it when showing (even when folded up in my hand for gaiting). They aren't that big and do actually help if a dog tried to pull you around (they give you a bit of "traction" on an otherwise relatively thin lead).

At the specialty shows, I still show with Saudjie's leads... Show Lead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast