Help with determining purebred status

Thread: Help with determining purebred status

DinoMorrison is offline Junior Member

QuestionHelp with determining purebred status

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section!!

Second, I am interested in obtaining a chocolate labrador and I recently found some available via a humane society. Both parents are labs (one black, one brown I believe) but the female was taken in as a stray and its pedigree is not known. The father is a known purebreed however.

Also, the dam and sire are on the smaller side 55 and 66 respectively. Will I be able to rely on the pups being the same size or is there the possibility of a large difference in size?

I am not a stickler about purebreeds (I love all dogs the same!) but I would like to know if the pups are or not for health reasons and just so I don't have to wonder. Oh, and the chocolates have green eyes which I have read is normal when they are pups but most times the green turns to the normal brown/hazel. Thoughts on that?

Here are some low quality pics (I requested more via email earlier today):

Petfinder Pet Photo

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    DM
    Last edited by DinoMorrison; 03-22-2011 at 10:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

if the mother was taken in as a stray, there are no guarantees.

Labador is offline Junior Member

There also is a big difference from purebred versus well bred. If your not a stickler, then does it really matter I'm sure you will love one no matter what.
    Avery (aka Avery Marie)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Labador View Post
    There also is a big difference from purebred versus well bred. If your not a stickler, then does it really matter I'm sure you will love one no matter what.
    Definitely will! I am only curious and I already know I will love the critter like no other!
    I am also interested because of health issues which I know would be hard to determine even if I knew, but every bit helps (best to give any vet the most information that you know).

I appreciate all thoughts regarding the matter!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DinoMorrison View Post
    Definitely will! I am only curious and I already know I will love the critter like no other!
    I am also interested because of health issues which I know would be hard to determine even if I knew, but every bit helps (best to give any vet the most information that you know).

I appreciate all thoughts regarding the matter!
    Well, the pups are at least part Lab, so you can read up on health stuff related to Labs. I'm a little confused, tho- you said the mom was taken in as a stray, then mentioned the father. I'm assuming the dog you're calling the father was picked up with the mother. Chances are he is the father to the litter, but not always (which is why I said the pups are at least part Lab).

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Well, the pups are at least part Lab, so you can read up on health stuff related to Labs. I'm a little confused, tho- you said the mom was taken in as a stray, then mentioned the father. I'm assuming the dog you're calling the father was picked up with the mother. Chances are he is the father to the litter, but not always (which is why I said the pups are at least part Lab).
    The mother lab was picked up by the owner of the father lab (the father was/is not a stray and I am told is a purebred). And then they made babies at some point.

Sorry I wasn't clear! I will update the original post. Thank you!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DinoMorrison View Post
    The mother lab was picked up by the owner of the father lab (the father was/is not a stray and I am told is a purebred). And then they made babies at some point.

Sorry I wasn't clear! I will update the original post. Thank you!
    Aha- got it. Actually, that situation occured to me during the night. My first Lab came about in a similar situation, only it was his father who was the stray, and his mother was the purebred. We were never sure he was 100% Lab, but we knew he was at least 3/4s.

Oh- size of the pups. In general, they will most likely be roughly the same size as the parents (between 55 and 66 pounds). But, there is always the chance one or all of them will be bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Aha- got it. Actually, that situation occured to me during the night. My first Lab came about in a similar situation, only it was his father who was the stray, and his mother was the purebred. We were never sure he was 100% Lab, but we knew he was at least 3/4s.

Oh- size of the pups. In general, they will most likely be roughly the same size as the parents (between 55 and 66 pounds). But, there is always the chance one or all of them will be bigger.
    Thank you for the information! I appreciate it a lot! I am excited for the lab and I am just trying to get as much info as I can to make sure I am ready, able, and knowledgeable!

Thanks again!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Just because Dad is purebred, doesn't mean he's healthy. Purebred and healthy are two differing things.

You can assume these puppies are NOT purebred. Purebred is defined as having a known lineage, you don't know.

If it doesn't matter, get the puppy and love the crap out of it. Its a crap shoot.

If it does matter, go to a reputable breeder who does clearances and guarantees their puppies.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

If you want to rescue, rescue. You get what you get, and you end up with a loving pet.

If you want a purebred lab, buy a purebred lab from a reputable breeder.