Going to buy a male, need help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to buy a male, need help!

DoingAll4HisGlory is offline Junior Member

DefaultGoing to buy a male, need help!

I are looking at a couple different males to purchase. One of them, has CH RIDGEVIEW HEARTLAND HIT MAN. He was Best of Breed Westminster 1997,#1 Labrador in US 1997 & 1998 (all breed), and has 169 Best of Breeds.The other dosn't have quite as impressive a pedigree, but it's still good. They both have CH> Dickendall Arnald and CH> dickendall Ruffy SH in their pedigree. So, I guess the question is, if you were looking for a show dog, what would you look for in the pedigree and with the dog? Oh, both parents are OFA'd Good, Elbows normal and EIC testing is not in yet. Oh, sorry, one more thing, would you get his pre-lims done before you got him or after?

Thanks for all your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Um i only rescue no experience with breeders or show dogs but i would say the one with the best pedigrees.sorry that i cant be of much help.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

If I was looking for a show dog, I would find one whose breeder is willing and able to mentor you through the entire process until which time as the dog was titled on the front end in the manner in which you and the breeder intended.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

How far down the line are those Ch dogs? Are they on both sides of the pedigree? How old is the dog? If the pedigree is good on both sides, I would look at the dog that you are getting (and look at them at 8 weeks old). What does the breeder think of the dog? Do they know you want to show? Are they willing to sell you a "show potential" and leave him intact? What is the 3 generation pedigree?

This is His Great Grandfather. Yes, he has CH. on both sides of the pedigree. They are both 14 months. They kept them back and were training them in Obedience, but decided to cut down on the number of dogs. They love both of them and they have show potential, it's just a matter of the number of dogs that they have. The 3 generation pedigree has 9 CH. in both I think. They have 5 generation peds on both. On one there are 29, and the other has about the same. They have a few Canadian and English imports in there lines as well. They are both good looking boys with great pigment. When we get some pictures of them, I'll post them so you can tell me what you think.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Depending on the pedigree, great grandfather could mean little to nothing for the actual dog....who are his parents and what have THEY done?

I would recommend you go to shows and see what dogs/pedigrees you are drawn to. Maybe start taking handling classes with the puppy you keep from your current litter and give the show thing a whirl to see if you even like it.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I don't know enough to comment. We just got lucky with our two boys (one a Canadian Champion and both boys pointed) but it seems like an exciting opportunity to me.

One of the males that we are most interested in is about 23.5 inches tall and weighs about 70 lbs. He's 14 months old. Do you think he's too tall? Our girls are on the small side. About 20.5 and 21.5. We are thinking about going to visit him before we purchase him, as they live about 4 1/2 hours away. Any help would be great!

nicole is offline Senior Member

I think there are a number here willing to help, but you're not really answering our questions...in either of your posts.

23.5" isn't too tall (standard is 22.5-24.5 for dogs), but that height at 70lbs at 14mo, I'd probably question the bone the dog has. What are your plans for the dog? You talk about # of champions in the pedigree (both with him and your dogs on your site)...that really doesn't impress anyone who has a clue. When you're breeding dogs, you should say what THEY have done, not ride the coattails of others. If you're buying a 14mo old with the intention of showing, I'd ideally want to know how HE has done in the ring...has he been shown?? If not, what have the parents done? Have they produced dogs who have also done well in the ring?

I don't mean to come across harsh, but again from your site and the questions you ask, it sounds like you're simply looking for a stud dog to breed to your girls and want to be able to brag about generations back to attract puppy buyers.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Seriously. If the dog's parent's aren't actively showing, it doesn't matter how big the males are. It doesn't matter about the pedigree...nothing. And a breeder who is willing to sell you a show potential without you really knowing anything and them needing to simply get rid of numbers basically tells me that there really isn't a lot to these dogs.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast