Pedigree help (sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Thread: Pedigree help (sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Legend85 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPedigree help (sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Hi all I am new here and havn't really been active in the lab community for the past 10 years or so. I am however currently looking for a puppy and excited about the possibility of bringing in an english import!

Still very much a student of the breed and always learning as much as I can. I used to keep all of my pedigree information in a software database which was lost on my old computer. I am a bit challenged when it comes to keeping things organized and since I am a bit of a pedigree nut I was just looking for advice/tips on how people organize and keep pedigrees. I have binders with printed pedigrees/photos of old dogs i'm just not sure how to organize them.

Also any tips on tracing a pedigree back several generations beyond the normal 5 generations. I think the furthest i traced my boy was 18 generations and then just got lost in the amount of paperwork.

I hope i am making sense, my twin nephews keep interrupting me.
    Any thoughts/tips/advice would be much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I started tracing Caleb's pedigree by Googling the last names in the 5 generation one I had. I've also found a couple of pedigree sites that can be helpful (sometimes not. LOL) This has been the most helpful: Labrador Retriever Pedigree Search

As far as organizing- I use a kind of low key program called InstaPed. For "hard copies", I find it's easier to put info on the computer from one. So I print out the pedigree from the research site (not a breeders) and keep them in file folders in a rolling plastic file cabinet. I've found it's easier to have a file for Caleb, his father and his mother. I also have one that says "entered" and "not entered" for what has or hasn't been put on the computer. "Official" pedigree- I have a 5 generation one from the AKC in Caleb's "baby book" (a 3 ring binder with sheet protecters).