How does she look?

Thread: How does she look?

Harleys Momma is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow does she look?

Im just wondering how my lab compares to purebred labs. I always assumed she was a mix because of her size then I found out I was thinking more about 'show' labs as opposed to a working/feild lab. So would you guys say she looks more like a mix or closer to a true lab? She isnt registered, shes a rescue so I know you cant tell for sure but conformation wise whats everyones opinion?

Forgve the weight, I was not part of her gaining weight but have finally decided enough is enough for the poor dog and have put my foot down and am now working on getting her in proper shape and on a proper diet. Shes about a 60lb max dog who currently weights 77lbs... I have my work cut out for me but I also have a lot of help.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think she is "pet-bred" - neither show nor field. Many Labs in the US are pet bred. My Diesel looks a lot like her - he is just taller. FWIW - she does not look all that tubby to me - certainly not 17# overweight. A picture from above showing the aerial view of her body may be more telling.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would assume she is purebred. Probably pet-bred with field dogs in the pedigree. She looks lot like our Maddy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She is most definitely over weight. lol Shes built very small and has absolutly no waist at all. Straight line from shoulders to hips. I do not personally like fat dogs. My pit bull is in great shape at 61lbs and Indy is a touch shorter in both height and length than him so she shouldnt be more than him for sure (Ive had many opinions agree that 60lbs looks about a good weight for her, but of course if it isnt I will adjust accordingly as we get the lbs off) Shes got a very narrow, small head (people laugh because shes so fat with such a small head she looks like 2 dogs stuck together) and is built so small all around. The shading on her sides of her coat is what I think makes her look ok from the side (someone else also thought she didnt look to horrible from the side, the above shot shows it though), let me dig up the above shot and you can see just how huge she is.

This is a general idea of what she looked like before she gained so much weight (sorry its a cell picture, only one I have left of her before she got fat after accidentally deleting a bunch :/) this was abuot a year and a half ago:

Thank you for your opinions!
    Last edited by Harleys Momma; 08-24-2010 at 02:35 PM.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

She is cute no matter what.

Oh yeah - she is a keg on legs. Sorry I doubted you! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Oh yeah - she is a keg on legs. Sorry I doubted you! LOL!
    No worries! Someone else did the same thing with that side shot. I think it has to be the way her coat is lighter in just the right places on her side.. makes it look like she goes in at her 'waist' when she doesnt. And shes got some nice muscle definition in her back legs which add to the illusion. Carring an extra 20lbs around mixed with more activity is giving those legs some nice definition.

I just found a place where they can swim, though she didnt go in past her chest and she would only go in when my pit bull was near her, when my husband went to run along the shore with him she came right out untill Harley was back, then she went back in to her chest again with him. It was both of their first times in water and my fearless Harley loved it after a couple minutes of walking around, Indys always been slower, likes to check things out before she decides if she likes it. So next time Im going to have a longer leash, some tennis balls, (which she loves) treats (and a camera!) and Harley of course and see if we can get her actually out swimming with Harley. I dont think it will be to hard once Harley is out swimming around, espically if I thow a ball for them, she cant ever let him out do her with fetch lol. Its one thing she can always beat him at (she tracks the rope we have from my hand to where it lands... while Harley is left still staring at my hand wondering where the rope suddenly went, then Indy comes up behind him and sticks it in his face to get him to play tug. The look of confusion on his face everytime is priceless)
    Sorry, got off topic, just excited over being able to get my pups swimming. Ive been wishing I could to help Indys weight loss and my pit bull has bad hips so now that I can Im very excited!

swimming sounds perfect for them both! Good luck!

Thank you. Im excited to say we have a teeny bit more waist and a teeny bit of a tuck going on now and as of last friday she was down approx 1.5lbs. Im not the most observant when it comes to weight loss but I was able to notice it (which caused me to weigh her and find out if I was right) and a friend of mine whos been coming once a week to help me with her (I cannot walk her myself because of her redirecting, I dont trust her being that close to my son whos only 2) noticed the difference. Im very excited that shes on the right path.