Breed a dudley Lab

Thread: Breed a dudley Lab

Devotion is offline Junior Member

DefaultBreed a dudley Lab

I have one a Dudley Lab bitch and I've got an information from senior Labrador from my country if a Dudley Lab can't be breed, specially in USA (is it true ?), hopefully some one over here can explain more about this.
    I already breed her for two time and never got another Dudley Lab and one of his puppy already got a good conformation result as BISS and BOB.
    From that I like to use her to be my foundation for my next generation.
    Please give your suggestion good or bad.

Thanks
    Last edited by Devotion; 03-11-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The idea is that you do not want to produce Dudleys as they do not meet the standard as far as showing goes. With proper attention to what colors the other parent carries when breeding, it's not uncommon to NOT produce any more Dudleys.

The other side to this is that most folks who are breeding are looking for a complete package stud to breed to their girls...pedigree, structure, temperament, looks, and many times titles. A Dudley will never have a Champion conformation title due to the fact that they can't be shown. So that might rule the dog out to many breeders. But if a breeder has a girl with the right color genetics to not produce more Dudleys and your boy has what that breeder wants in her prospective litter, I can't imagine it would be a problem.

Thanks Jen, maybe I'm not give a clear question. What I mean is I have a problem to use a Dudley bitch in my foundation specially for the future generation. My Dudley bitch have a good pedigree, structure, temperament and especially after trying to breed (I use a good import stud) she give a good show prospect puppies. But somebody told me if the puppies will bring a problem for the future, that is why breeder like from your country will not use a Dudley bitch for breeding.

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't understand what the problem WOULD be. If you are only using your Dudley bitch as your foundation and producing sound puppies of the correct color that meet the standard, the WORST thing (which isn't really a worst thing) is that you will have a dog that possibly carries all 3 colors and if that dog is later mated to another dog where the breeder doesn't know the colors it genetically carries, you could produce more Dudleys, which is something we try to avoid.

As far as what we do in the USA, if a Dudley is born, a good breeder typically will not keep that puppy, and sell it to a pet owner on a contract requiring it to be de-sexed. Most folks interested in conformation will not keep a Dudley around because the dog cannot be shown. However, many hunting breeders keep dogs and plan breedings on the basis of aptitude for hunting, and I have seen many Dudley bitches and dogs used in those type of breeding programs.

Oh, ok. I understand know why good breeder avoid to breed a Dudley bitch not because her produce but because they more like to keep a Labs who can be shown around them.
    I will try do it in the future, but now in my country still hard to get a good bitch for shown and in the same time can produce a good puppy (many corruption not improvement) even we use a male for stud dog from other country.
    I will keep learn and try to improve our labs, because I'm very love with this breed. Hopefully one day I can have a good labs like all of you here.

Thanks again Jen...

Paul

yogib is offline Junior Member

My Yogi is a dudley and I think they are a beautiful form of a labrador the more breeding of those kind of labs the better.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure how selectively breeding for a fault is better for the breed?????
    In any event, if I produced a Dudley (and yes, I could have as I bred a C to a Yc and the C could have carried yellow...BUT I thought the Yc dog was the right dog for her) and it was a wonderful bitch in everything but pigment, I would most definitely keep her and breed her because I would then know her genotype and could easily avoid producing another. Having said that, there are simple swab tests to prevent this and that is the best approach. I chose my Yc stud dog at the last minute and had no time for the coat colour test, otherwise I would have tested my bitch before taking her to a Yc.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous