Xpost Tiptoeing

Thread: Xpost Tiptoeing

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultXpost Tiptoeing

I entered my dog in his first conformation. One of the comments I got, was he seems to Tip Toe on his back feet. Is there any exercises I can do to correct this problem? He had his hips and elbows checked, and his hips were good.

We have another show in 2 wks, wanted to see if I can work on stretching him out some. With 2 1/2 foot of snow, I can't actually be throwing a ball outside for him, or really do too much running with him. Any other tricks?

On a side note, he really didn't do too bad for his first show. Besides for freaking out over tape that held the rugs down, I felt he did well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Don't know what you mean by "tip toeing" but what you may want to do is get to the ring a bit early next time and see if you can ask a seasoned lab person to spend a few moments with you and gait the dog for this person. They might be able to give you some advice on what's happening....IF anything is happening at all. It could also be a matter of you not gaiting at the proper speed to best show off the dog.

I've had folks tell me that one dog or another seemed to be off in the gait, like limping, and no one else noticed it. Remember comments are just one person's observations.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I myself wasn't showing him, he had a handler. There was someone from my club who mentioned it. More or less he seems very dainty on his hindend. Doesn't seem to want to push off on his hind. So it seems as if he is walking on his toes.

I will be talking to the handler later this week to discuss upcoming shows. I thought I would check with her to see what she thinks. This was his first show, so he is new to it and all. He has another show in 2 wks, hopefully it is just a fluke, and it will work itself out.

-Shannon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wonder if playing and working in the snow might help strenghten the hind end?
    Spartacus

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Soft frisbees work really well for snow retrieving, if he likes frisbees. For us april - october/november are "ball" months, the rest of the year we use frisbees because of the snow.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

If this was his first outing, it could be he didn't like the feel of the matting on his feet. I would get him out to a class to get him used to the matting and/or get some Show Foot to spray on his feet for traction and see how that goes before you worry about structural issues/exercises and the like.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous