what do you think of Rambo?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you think of Rambo?

ajiteshverma is offline Senior Member

Questionwhat do you think of Rambo?

Hi all,

My boy Rambo is 5 months young. Our vet had detected weak pasterns (front paws) a month back and had recommended certain medicines and change in diet.
    I would love to know the expert opinion of you people about his over all growth and especially his legs. Clicked these pics today.
    Please do not hesitate to mention any kind of observation... it will help me to take better care of my darling.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'all you need is lab'

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Puppies can go down in the pasterns when cutting teeth as they need the extra calcium. I don't think your puppy is necessarily down in the pasterns, just long and that will make them a tad weak.
    All a part of growing
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

hey thanks Fallriver!
    Does that mean I can relax? Because I am giving him calcium supplements since last month anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriver View Post
    Puppies can go down in the pasterns when cutting teeth as they need the extra calcium. I don't think your puppy is necessarily down in the pasterns, just long and that will make them a tad weak.
    All a part of growing
    'all you need is lab'

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would be very wary of giving calcium supplements. Definitely linked to a higher risk of joint disease. A good food would be much better.
    Dana

- Anonymous

Hi Fallriver,

This calcium supplement has been prescribed by his vet himself... apart from that we feed Rambo Eukanuba Dog food for puppies- Large Breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallriver View Post
    I would be very wary of giving calcium supplements. Definitely linked to a higher risk of joint disease. A good food would be much better.
    'all you need is lab'

blacknyellow is offline Junior Member

Try raising his dishes off the floor so that he has to 'stand taller' to get his food. I also would be wary of giving calcium supplements. A good quality food should be sufficient. Sometimes it can be from teething, and will correct...But sometimes, I find if it is prevalent in a dogs bloodlines, it doesn't correct itself and won't be corrected.

I wouldn't raise his food dish as it increases the risk of bloat. There should be sufficient calcium in his food IMHO but you must do what you think best, he is your puppy. In general, excess calcium is a much higher risk to puppies than insufficient calcium and it's something we as breeders are very frightened of
    Dana

- Anonymous

I know you guys are trying to help me here but I must say am really confused. Not because of you... but because of similar disparity in the feedback.
    The 2 vets I showed Rambo to, prescribed him calcium powder to be mixed in his food... a Vitamin C and E syrup as well.
    On the other hand, all the responses on this forum and on other sites say that Calium supplement is a no-no... Phew!
    Am confused and worried for my darling...
    'all you need is lab'

Interestingly, Euk is below the AAFCO standard for calcium (all Iams foods are). SO, you might be OK to supplement with calcium, but then the question is how much and how much is bioavailable?
    IF IT WERE MY DOG, I would look for a food that is a little higher in calcium content and that would make me feel much more comfortable than supplementing with calcium.
    I am a raw feeder and I certainly don't expect you to feed raw. One of the reasons I feed raw is that when calcium is in the diet in a natural state, puppies can excrete the excess. So if you want to increase calcium and do it as safely as possible, you could add some yoghurt or cottage cheese to his diet. Or you could add some instant oats or bok choy. FOR ME, this would be a bit safer way to introduce more calcium into his diet. But you should be aware that the food you are feeding is below AAFCO standards for calcium (the minimum is 1.0% and Euk is 0.8%)
    Clear as mud?
    Dana

- Anonymous

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have read Vitamin C can help strengthen pastern issues. But I don't know if that really works. I also wouldn't supplement calicum. As long as you are on a good quality food...

I am also not sure about the evalated bowl issue. We have always used them. No bloat. I have read stories both ways, that it prevents and that it causes. We opted FOR them.

Dana, maybe you know this, what difference will it make if the dog is really down in the pasterns, I mean physically? I know it's not preferred for showing, but will it hurt the dog later on? I have seen plenty of pets out there slightly down and never noticed any issues, though it could be internal orthopedic? I can tell you that MY vet never looked at pasterns. Very odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast