Male or Female Puppy?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Male or Female Puppy?

lablover88 is offline Member

Default Male or Female Puppy?

Hello all-

I currently have a 4 year old yellow male and I plan to get a chocolate puppy in February. I've been planning on another male, but I was recently informed that it can be risky to get a male puppy when I already have an older male. My source said that two males might lead to unwanted dominance issues.

Whichever sex I choose, I want my older male to get along with the puppy and have a playmate. So, I want to make sure I'm bringing home a puppy that he will love just as much as I will! Any thoughts on the matter?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Male or Female Puppy?

If your male is of good temperament, it won't matter either way. Generally, you don't have to worry about same sex aggression with this breed. If you feel for whatever reason that your current boy would prefer the company of a bitch, go with your gut instinct. If he is very happy-go-lucky and won't care either way, go with a dog, if that is what you want.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Does he show any differences in play or other behaviors around either gender?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Trickster. I have a 8 year old male & got a 8 week old male. I was worried when I got the puppy that my older male would have problems, but so far no problems. They are best friends & are always playing.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

We have three males, 11, 10 and 2. The two older dogs are neutered. Jackson is not. Over the years we've had a couple of growling matches but we've never had a physical skirmish. They are best buds. I used to worry a little because the chessie (10) would like to be dominant but the oldest is the ruler (although he's absolutely silent about it and will allow the youngest to take bones from him etc.) but now Sage (chessie) has worse arthritis than Caleb and I don't think he'll try anything.
    Assuming a normal lab temperment I'd get what I want.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I have a male and all but one of my fosters has been male and I've never had any problems. If your boy does well playing with any other dog I wouldn't worry about the gender of the puppy one bit, and just get the pup with the personality that fits your household the best. I've dog sat female dogs while having my boy and a male foster and again, no problems (and it's a small space!)

My friend has three females in the house and no problems there either.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lablover88 is offline Member

Thanks all. That is very helpful! My boy has never exhibited any animosity towards other males, so hopefully the trend will continue with our new addition! I appreciate the thoughts.

+ Reply to Thread