My Lab Keeps Licking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lab Keeps Licking

Idoporsche is offline Junior Member

Default My Lab Keeps Licking

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. My five year old Lab. Daisy keeps licking. She licks my arms, legs, clothing etc., My question is: How can I train her not to lick this way? When company is over, this can be very embarassing.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Default Re: My Lab Keeps Licking

Quote Originally Posted by Idoporsche
    Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. My five year old Lab. Daisy keeps licking. She licks my arms, legs, clothing etc., My question is: How can I train her not to lick this way? When company is over, this can be very embarassing.
    At 5 this is pretty ingrained behavior. How have you reacted in the past when she does this?

I am not a big fan of being licked (I know where those lips have been) and I have always discouraged my dogs by turning away from kisses. They get it pretty quick and neither of mine lick me - - - much. She'll just keep on licking you if you keep on allowing it.
    Sharon

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I had a tag made for Puff:

GENUINE OFFICIAL
    STATE LICKER
    LICENSE

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I have had Daisy for about three months now. The previous owner had her over weight. What I have done in the past when she does lick, I have tapped her on the nose and repeated no licking several times. She continues to lick.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Idoporsche
    I have had Daisy for about three months now. The previous owner had her over weight. What I have done in the past when she does lick, I have tapped her on the nose and repeated no licking several times. She continues to lick.
    She is probably not going to get that.

I would move away from her or gently push her away when she is licking. If she is going to change, she will ultimately understand that positive attention from you stops when she is licking. But, at her age it will be hard to change, IMO.

Nice car, BTW. I used to own a 365 SC many moons ago. Thinking about buying myself another little bathtub.
    Sharon

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

I would get up and walk away. Every. Single. Time.

sarah is offline Senior Member

we have a licker too......... argh!

I've been attempting to control the situation when we have visitors by putting a finger under her collar when she starts licking them and gently directing her away and saying "Milly No LICK!" ........... she'll (without fail!) go back and try again... so I repeat. She'll then sometimes go back for a third attempt and I direct her away "Milly... NO LICK" and then direct her either to get a toy to play with or to her crate.

I don't know whether it's sinking in or not....... but I do know that as she gets bigger people are getting less tolerant of it so I try and stop it straight away. More often than not she'll give up after the 2nd attempt and go find a toy to show the visitor without me having to tell her to...

She seems to get the idea on so many other things I direct her on SO QUICKLY but when it comes to a specific interaction with a human that she loves doing... such as licking... it REALLY takes work.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Garth is offline Registered Users

It sounds to me as if she might be lacking something in her diet & is making up for it with the licking - maybe yours too Sarah? I've heard of cases like this before.

Have a talk to your vet & tell him / her EVERYTHING you're feeding her. It might be as simple as adding a supplement to their diet.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    It sounds to me as if she might be lacking something in her diet & is making up for it with the licking - maybe yours too Sarah? I've heard of cases like this before.

Have a talk to your vet & tell him / her EVERYTHING you're feeding her. It might be as simple as adding a supplement to their diet.
    maybe Garth but Milly is more like "oh wow a new human... i want to lick their hands and feet cause they smell and taste good" it's not clothing really - just peoples hands and feet.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Thanks for the compliment on my Porsche. I restore these great cars as a hobby. Daisy my lab gives me support by getting in my face and wondering what I'm doing under the car. She moves along the shop sometimes getting grease or paint on her :no:

Sarah, I don't really know if Daisy is also understanding...she keeps coming back to lick. My wife thinks that it's her way of expressing love since she does not know how to kiss :-*

I will keep training as BigBrownDog suggest. It's frustrating when I'm in my business clothing and she starts licking my nice pressed clothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast