Puppy and stairs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy and stairs

Default Puppy and stairs

Hello. I am a new owner of a chocolate lab (pics are coming) and i was wondering if someone could help me out. I have heard that because of there hips labrador pups should not be aloud up stairs for a at least there first 6 months. Can anyone let me know if this is true or just BS? Thanks so much.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Puppy and stares

Quote Originally Posted by Homicidalmaniac
    Hello. I am a new owner of a chocolate lab (pics are coming) and i was wondering if someone could help me out. I have heard that because of there hips labrador pups should not be aloud up stares for a at least there first 6 months. Can anyone let me know if this is true or just BS? Thanks so much.
    I'm a little skeered to answer a Homicidal Maniac but - - - that is nonsense. Puppies can be allowed up stairs for their first 6 months as long as they are big enough to scale them. Logically - would you be carrying a 50# 5 month old puppy in and out of the house whenever they need to pee?

Hopefully you carefully chose your puppy from a reputable kennel that screens their breeding stock for soundness in their hips and elbows, eyes and hearts - so your concern about the soundness of your puppy's hips will be minimal.

You should be feeding your puppy a quality large breed puppy food which will help them to grow slowly enough to allow proper development.
    Sharon

Hehe dont worry I am only homicidal to people who hate animals.....
    I am so glad to hear this is nonsense, i live in a large two story house and it was already becoming a hard thing to do.
    The breeder we brought our puppy from had her checked for everything and she was given the all clear how ever we think we will get her checked out by our own vet (booked for a weeks time) and get her to give a final say on the stares issue.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Our breeder recommended not letting Henry up or down stairs until he was about 3 months old, and big enough to negotiate them. Going up is pretty easy, but coming down is more difficult for them to learn, at least it was for him. I guess the rationale behind it was to prevent a very small puppy from missing stairs or jumping down a few at a time and possibly injuring themselves.

So yes, I carried him up and down the stairs both inside our house, and outside to potty.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Well ill admit that confuses me. There were stairs at the breeders home and i assume that the puppy learnt from watching mum. Even now she is going up and down the stairs like a pro, much to our annoyance. I still think i will get the final say from our vet, let a trusted person with a doctorate make the call... (ohh btw thanks for shpwing me how to spell stairs )

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The point that Henrysmom and I were trying to make was the "big enough to scale (climb) them". As with a human baby - we don't let 'em climb stairs until they are able to do so safely.

And on the clearance issue - the breeder is supposed to clear the parents for genetic disorders before breeding them. The puppies are supposed to have initial vaccines before leaving the breeder. 2 different things there.
    Sharon

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
    The point that Henrysmom and I were trying to make was the "big enough to scale (climb) them". As with a human baby - we don't let 'em climb stairs until they are able to do so safely.
    Yes, exactly. I'm sure that your breeder was not allowing the pups to run up and down the stairs willy-nilly and unsupervised.

If you're uncomfortable with your puppy going up and down the stairs, simply baby-gate them off so that she can't get at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Homicidalmaniac
    The breeder we brought our puppy from had her checked for everything and she was given the all clear how ever we think we will get her checked out by our own vet (booked for a weeks time) and get her to give a final say on the stares issue.
    It is an excellent idea to have your pup checked by your own vet. In fact, I would check the your breeder contract, as I *believe* that most breeders ask that the pup be seen by your own vet within 48 hours or so of him/her coming home.

Also, even though the parents of your pup may have OFA good or excellent hips, it does not preclude your pup from developing bad hips. Genetics plays a big part, certainly, however, there are environmental things that you can control to minimize risk of injury, eg. do not force your pup to exercise (ie. running/jogging with your pup), not allowing your young pup to jump up and down from heights (eg. in and out of the back of an SUV for eg.) or playing games like frisbee which might cause your pup to jump up and twist, before the age of 2 (or, whenever the growth plates have closed).

Good luck with your pup!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Walking up and down the steps in a controlled manner (ie; slowly and on a leash) should not be a problem. Problems can occur when puppies bomb up and down steps at 100mph.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Walking up and down the steps in a controlled manner (ie; slowly and on a leash) should not a problem. Problems can occur when puppies bomb up and down steps at 100mph.
    That's what I was going to say

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

That sounds fair enough so for now we will block of the stairs until she gets a little bigger and only let her up when we are close by to make sure everything is going great.

As for the breeder part, I will admit that we got dutchy from a friend of a friend who has Labradors as working dogs. She asked the vet to do a check for and genetic issues before she sold the puppies. Also i saw the mother and father dogs, who both had great temperaments and had never under gone any major surgery. I also saw the maternal grandmother, who is retired now, and she too is in great health.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast