To Crate Or Not To Crate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Crate Or Not To Crate

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTo Crate Or Not To Crate

Okay I have to say first off I am pro crate. My Cocker Spaniel was crate trained and though she doesent use it anymore I beleive it helped with house training. Now I do beleive every dog is different and some can be house trained with out a crate. I mean it was only two years ago when I was actually introduced to the concept of using a crate to help house train a puppy.

I took away Sawyers food and water at about 7:30pm and he has been napping on and off ever since. Every time he wakes up I take him outside and he pee's multiple times and then goes poo once. We then come back inside and play and then he passes back out lol. He has been so good I have been debating with myself wether to crate him tonight or let him sleep in my room?

I guess I could just use tonight as a test. We will try it in my room and if it doesent work out he can be in the crate tomarow. Ahhh
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To Crate Or Not To Crate

CRATE!!

I don't know how people raise labs without a crate. I know I couldn't have.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    CRATE!!

I don't know how people raise labs without a crate. I know I couldn't have.
    Lol I honestly can't remember how I did it before I got my Cocker Spaniel lol. I just got up alot in the middle of the night I guess. Ugh im still so tempted to try lol.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

If you put them in the bed right off the bat you will make it ten times more difficult on your pup and you if you change your mind. I agree crate!!

imported_CHOCO4ME is offline Senior Member

Another vote for Crating. My puppy is now 4 months old. He was crated from the beginning. He is housebroken (I know I am going to regret saying that) and has now been allowed to sleep on the dog beds with the big dogs. I find the crate is a great housebreaking tool. I have found using the crate to make things progess much more quickly. Besides, you can look at it another way, it is good for them to be comfortable in a crate. It helps at any time they may need to be kenneled, like the vet, travelling and what have you.

Good luck!
    Jake, Blue and Ginger<br />

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Having two dogs that weren't crate trained and one that is...I later found out when I had to keep a dog quiet because of an injury that crate training was worth its weight in gold. The crate trained dog doesn't EVER use the crate on his own anymore but if I need to use it for any reason he's good about it. Trying to use it on the untrained dog resulted in having to buy a new crate and I dog that wasn't quiet by any means.
    I vote for crate training!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I vote crate also. It's so useful not just for potty training, or for confining a dog post-surgery, but like Lori said, if you ever plan on travelling with your pup and staying in hotels, flying with your pup, it's a godsend. It also provides them with a place to call their own. My 5 year old has been out of his crate during the day and at night for quite some time now, but he still likes to go into his crate to hang out.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

I vote for crate training as well. Honestly, I don't see how you can housebreak any dog without it. It seems like not using a crate would only prolong the process. Also, a crate can be necessary for things other than potty training. There may be times when you need your dog to be in his crate (guests are over, an injury like previous poster mentioned, etc.) and you will be glad that you decided to crate train him in the beginning.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Crate. If you have just got him, he is probably being 'quiet' (ie; not getting into trouble -- yet) for that very reason.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

A 10 wk old pup should not be roaming the house (or your bedroom, even) uncrated at night. Potty/mess issues aside, there are scads of safety concerns.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast