To Crate Or Not To Crate - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Crate Or Not To Crate

GTownPride is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To Crate Or Not To Crate

I'd crate him also, if not for the help housebreaking then definitely for the peace of mind. There are a ton of things that you may perceive as harmless that he could get into while you are asleep that could cause serious issues.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My 2 year old is still crated when we are out as he likes to shred magazines and owners manuals. He is happy in his crate and goes into it on his own when he sees us getting ready to leave.

As long as you do not frame the crate as a punishment, your dog will be fine with it.

I have an older dog we were not able to crate train and if I needed to confine her for whatever reason, we would be very hard pressed.
    Sharon

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

You just got the puppy...he'll change

I do crate train my puppies from the get-go. At night, as soon as they show they're sleeping through the night consistantly, I let them sleep on a dog bed in my room instead of their crate. Bono was on his dog bed by 9 or 10wks.

They're still crated while I'm gone or can't supervise them for some time.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We crate the boys at night. They are way too creative in finding stuff to tear up, unless EVERY door in the house is shut, and I need them open for air circulation (no AC)! Sometimes they seem very good, and I am tempted to leave them out or take one on the bed with me, but it's best they just be crated. It's good for them.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Years ago before crating was popular I raised two labs without the crates. If someone is home and can pay attention 24 hours a day, you might have some success. I would never raise a pup without a crate ever again.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Kassy is offline Junior Member

is it too late to crate train the 8 months old lab?

soccerchick88 is offline Junior Member

Kassy- We recently adopted a 7-month-old (now 8 months) lab and he crate trained in 2 days, so it's not too late. He came from a home where he had a large outdoor kennel run and yard. He sleeps in the crate at night and during the day we alternate between outside time (in a large fenced yard), inside in the crate, or loose inside with constant supervision.

Kassy is offline Junior Member

Hi, thanks for the good advise. As a starter, should I place my crate in the house and then slowly move it outside after my doggie crate trained? My intention is to put her at the car porch (outside the house) eventually. I let her roam in my kitchen since she was 2 months old whenever I am away.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kassy View Post
    Hi, thanks for the good advise. As a starter, should I place my crate in the house and then slowly move it outside after my doggie crate trained? My intention is to put her at the car porch (outside the house) eventually. I let her roam in my kitchen since she was 2 months old whenever I am away.
    a dog should never be crated outside. it would be very unsafe. Crates are meant to keep a dog safe INDOORS.

Why do you want to keep the dog in the car porch? If she is crate trained she can happily just be crated indoors and it will be a spot she can go in and out of anytime.

Robsball is offline Junior Member

I decided not to crate train my puppy. At night I put him in bed with me and he sleeps throughout the night with me without incident or accident from the very beginning. He was about 10 weeks when I got him. In the morning I get good snuggles with him and its been a very rewarding bond. During the day while I am at work, I baby gate block the doorway in the kitchen. He has full access to the doggy door and room in the kitchen to move around. This has not been an issue either. Now to get him to stop nipping at me with those sharp puppy teeth and all his sass back when I tell him NO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast