PLEASE HELP!! My lab puppy won"t listen AT ALL - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP!! My lab puppy won"t listen AT ALL

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! My lab puppy won"t listen AT ALL

Heres my suggestion: buy a good pair of leather working gloves

With some dogs bitter lime is very good - spray it in your hands before playing with him and when he bites, touch his tongue... since you taste horrible he might leave you. It workes with some dogs and others just dont care... It worked wonders with my friends ferret, Id touch his tongue and he gave his funniest YUCKY face and start rolling over to "clean himself" it cracked me up

Try to find other games and distractions for your pup to learn that he can play other things. check if he likes to retrieve (99% of labs are genetically fixed to retrieve), throw kibble around so he can run and grab it, etc.

I did all these things with Misha and they did work to teach her other games, and now shes a master, but she still was mouthy whenever I tried to pet her or rub her belly, she just grew up from the behavior and I ended up just tolerating it as long as she didnt bit too hard.

Perhaps hes getting very anxious because hes crated and gets all excited when he sees you. the crate is great if you leave him alone in a calm place but if he can see you, I can understand him getting anxious and excited

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with Trickster's advice in her 2 posts and in Baloo's comments.

Almost ALL Lab puppies chew and bite.

This isn't a dominant, aggressive puppy --this is a young puppy eager to know his world. Puppies don't have hands so they use their mouths to learn about the world -- how it tastes, how soft or hard it is, what happens when you bite it or lick it, etc., and to relieve boredom and/or get some interactions started.

My approach to dealing with this and other undesired behavior at this puppy stage is to distract & substitute.

When Puff was a young toddler pup with puppy teeth, she frequently chewed on my hands, ankles, socks, chair legs, etc.

I bought a package of Hartz Mountain chewsticks. These are cigarillo sized sticks composed of fine pieces of pigskin (or =) molded in to shape by a flavored, edible glue. At that time, those by HM were made in the USA and their packages had a satisfaction guarantee and a toll free number to call if there were any questions.

Whenever Puff wanted to chew on me or some other No-No, I distracted her with a chewstick, let her chew on that a bit, and then usually substituted some activivity.

I think pet stores sell "Buster Cubes" or similar products -- a rolling device into which you put kibbles so, as it gets rolled over the floor, an occasional kibble comes out.

I made our own. I put bits of kibble into a clean, empty 2 liter carbonated beverage bottle and let Puff bat that around. As she became more expert at releasing the kibble, I'd pinch the mouth a little tighter with pliers to make the game harder. Since she'd often chew on the mouth, I'd have to keep watch to trim off any shards that she might chew off and swallow (I'm retired so am around to monitor her).

This worked well for us. I ALWAYS made sure to keep a few chewsticks in a pocket so one was instantlly available. I felt about my chewsticks just as the slogan for American Express once advertised it's card and 'I didn't go anyplace without them.'

At the time the HM chewsticks worked for us, there were also many other much cheaper, similar packages available, usually made in Asia. None had a factory name, address, or any way of contacting the manufacturer.

Since almost everything now is made in Asia, if you DO try these, I recommend you make absolutely sure that the package has:
    -- a manufacturer's name AND address,
    -- a toll free customer service phone number, and
    -- a guarantee of satisfaction.

Some people have reported that their puppies have gotten upset stomachs from eating such products.

I don't doubt it -- the processing of the animal hides and granulating them could sometimes use chemicals that aren't healthy to pups. When there's no company address, guarantee, or way of contacting them you have no recourse and whatever company can change its name and package appearance monthly and still sell cheap, inferior, unhealthy product.

At any rate, that approach worked quite well for us.

Believe me, it gets much better after puppy teeth are lost and replaced by adult teeth,

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilbritgirl78
    Well the turning my back and ignoring him trick isnt really working. Not only is he biting at my heels and calfs when I turn around he goes and does something naughty to get my attention again. I'm fighting a losing battle I think.
    You have to commit to a technique or nothing is going to be successful for you. Like Kaytris said - tether him and he will have fewer options to act up.

I have noticed that when Bauer is tired he's even WORSE until he naps...how often should a 11 week old puppy sleep???? I think sometimes he fights the sleep to stay awake with us and he turns into a little demon...
    You might want to file this bit of learning away for when you have kids. Toddlers do the exact same thing.
    Sharon

suej Guest

Hi
    Well I just posted about this and my advice was not recieved well. We had very similar problems with our yellow lab. Our vet said this is very normal puppy behavior. He actually said if the puppies were still with their mom the mom would bite back and the puppy would learn this was not acceptable behavior. When our dog gets nippy we have toys ready to stick in his mouth. Some times it works and some times the dog just wants to chew on us! We then walk him over to his crate give him a toy and leave him in there for a little while. We got one of the toys that you can put a food treat in and they have to bite an sniff it out. We also got a hollow bone that we put peanut butter in and froze. He will go at that for a long time. Every week they get a little better, hang in there and good luck.

lilbritgirl78 is offline Junior Member

Well yesterday I spoke to a dog trainer and i explained the problem with biting to her and she informed me that in her opinion Bauer isnt getting enough sleep and he cranky. She told me labs need 18-20 hours of sleep a day (including nighttime sleep) at 11 weeks old. She said if he sleeps more we should notice a different puppy, and since labs are so human oriented they fight the sleep to be with you...

Also this morning was tough. I think after a nights sleep he wakes up hungry and maybe his teeth hurt as he is REALLY BAD first thing in the morning (even after he's eaten)...he is starting to lunge at my face and he wants nothing to do with any toy, chew, rawhide thing....he goes right for my hands EVERYTIME and this morning he broke my skin...if i put my hands behind my back he goes for my hair or my stomach or legs...and those nips hurt so bad I have a hard time not losing my cool...

I don't like this lunging at the face...if I was a small child I would be terrified.

It still doesnt seem aggressive biting but it is definitely HARD and he id determined to bite skin...

Any suggestions?

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is he on your lap or in bed with you when he is going for your face? I am not sure how he is able to get to your face/hair.

Does he have any commands?
    He should be sitting on command by now and you should work on a stay command.

Do you have a consistent routine for him in the morning? Up, out, pee, eat, out, poop, walk, in, play, sleep?
    (Dogs LOVE routine. If you make a routine and stick with it he will get with the program faster).

Are you vocally correcting him firmly when he acts up and rewarding him for the behavior you want him to exhibit?
    (Dogs want to please - particularly this breed and he will quickly learn what he has to do to gain positive responses from you)

Honestly - you really need to be in a puppy class. It will help you learn how to train your dog to make him into the pet you wish to own. Use the very good advice you have gotten here - but look for a class as well.
    Sharon

Garth is offline Registered Users

That doesn't sound normal. I think I'd take him to the vet & get a thorough exam. Is it possible he has some internal injury?. Has anyone dropped or walked on him accidentally?. In other words, when you pick him up, MAYBE he's in pain?.

I'm running out of ideas.

lilbritgirl78 is offline Junior Member

He is up on the couch with me but if he starts to bite he gets down....his routing is up, out, eat, play a little, out and then in his crate as I go to work.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Maybe I didn't make myself very clear. I'm trying to establish what causes him to try & bite you in the face.

In other words, when you pick him up, MAYBE he's in pain?.
    Just wondering if this happens when you pick him up?. IF so, you might want to see a vet because MAYBE he has some kind of internal injury?.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Well yesterday I spoke to a dog trainer and i explained the problem with biting to her and she informed me that in her opinion Bauer isnt getting enough sleep and he cranky. She told me labs need 18-20 hours of sleep a day (including nighttime sleep) at 11 weeks old. She said if he sleeps more we should notice a different puppy, and since labs are so human oriented they fight the sleep to be with you...

Also this morning was tough. I think after a nights sleep he wakes up hungry and maybe his teeth hurt as he is REALLY BAD first thing in the morning (even after he's eaten)...he is starting to lunge at my face and he wants nothing to do with any toy, chew, rawhide thing....he goes right for my hands EVERYTIME and this morning he broke my skin...if i put my hands behind my back he goes for my hair or my stomach or legs...and those nips hurt so bad I have a hard time not losing my cool...

I don't like this lunging at the face...if I was a small child I would be terrified.

It still doesn't seem aggressive biting but it is definitely HARD and he id determined to bite skin...

Any suggestions?
    He is up on the couch with me but if he starts to bite he gets down....his routing is up, out, eat, play a little, out and then in his crate as I go to work.
    Keep him off the couch. Being allowed on the couch is a privilege and not a right. If he can't behave while on it, don't allow him on it.

He behaves worse in the mornings because he is full of pent up energy. If he has been crated all night, he will be raring to go by the morning. As mentioned above, try to solidify your routine so that you are in control. When you open the door to his crate in the morning, clip his leash on before he gets out of the crate. Then take him out into your yard to relieve himself. Bring him back in (leashed if he is likely to bite), have him 'sit', and give him is food. If you don't give him the opportunity to bite you and get hysterical, he won't.

Your trainer is probably right about him not getting enough sleep. Don't hesitate to crate him now and then during the day.

Have you thought about the classes yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast