PLEASE HELP!! My lab puppy won"t listen AT ALL - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP!! My lab puppy won"t listen AT ALL

tessa_s212 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! My lab puppy won"t listen AT ALL

This isn't a dominance issue. NOT at all. This is a PUPPY issue. He isn't dominant, he is a normal, untrained, difficult puppy.

Like someone else said, he is toooo young for choke chain. He is a puppy and there is no need for such (coercive) tools at his age.

Trickster said it best and I can only reiterate her advice.

lilbritgirl78 is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for all your great advise.
    To answer a few questions that you all had. This is our first puppy so we are definitely new to training and we have been switching around a lot to see which technique works best when he's biting. The water bottle worked for about a week...the can of coins about 3 days...today I tried walking away and turning my back and it definitely calmed him down and he tried to sit if front of me and i made sure I made no eye contact....I'm hoping this technique will work. I even tried the tucking the lip under and gently pushing until he whimpered but he just got even worse and tried to bite us more.

When we walk I just have a regular nylon collar and leash. Should I have something else? He does pull hard and gets to the point where he's wheezing from the strain.

I believe the biting is purely playful and not aggressive he never growls or shows teeth but I really think we need help learning our "ALPHA" role in the house..

Sarah

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a "dominant" or "aggressive" behaviour!! :surprise: He's 11 weeks old!! :whatever:

This is a mouthy puppy, also known as a "labrador".

If you watch puppies playing with each other, especially lab puppies, they play ROUGH. When we take them into our homes, we basically have to teach them that how they've been playing up until this point is inappropriate with people, and teach them other ways to play. Some catch on easier than others. Also, you got your pup at 7 weeks (instead of the recommended eight or more), so he didn't get the full "bite inhibition" training/socialization that he would have gotten from his siblings and Mom.

Rosie (Trickster) had some great suggestions, I would try those. What worked for us was the jowl-against-the-canine method (pressing puppies lip into his canine tooth when he bit us). Also, most definitely join a class, it will help tremendously.

ETA: Make sure it's an appropriate class, that uses positive methods. Ask for references and if you can, try to observe a class before you sign up, to make sure that you agree with how the trainer works.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

lilbritgirl78 is offline Junior Member

Well the turning my back and ignoring him trick isnt really working. Not only is he biting at my heels and calfs when I turn around he goes and does something naughty to get my attention again. I'm fighting a losing battle I think. Its so frustrating. Gently putting him in his crate seems to be the only thing that calms him down (and gets him away from me)
    I have noticed that when Bauer is tired he's even WORSE until he naps...how often should a 11 week old puppy sleep???? I think sometimes he fights the sleep to stay awake with us and he turns into a little demon...

Please help!!

Sarah

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd use a tether for a puppy like this. Set up a training session - tether him to the baseboard or something immovable. sit on the floor with a toy nearby, and offer both the toy and your hand. If he grabs your hand, immediately squeal, stand up and walk out of reach. Wait for a short time, then repeat. If he takes the toy, play gently with him.

Be consistent, and be patient - none of these are going to give you a quick overnight fix, and there's a chance that this might get worse before it gets better (extinction burst, technical term - or temper tantrum, nontechnically... ))

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilbritgirl78

I have noticed that when Bauer is tired he's even WORSE until he naps...how often should a 11 week old puppy sleep???? I think sometimes he fights the sleep to stay awake with us and he turns into a little demon...

Please help!!

Sarah
    you've had lots of good advice (and some bad BAD advice like choke chain for a baby) - read Tricksters post very carefully as she says nearly everything I'd say too

but yes your observation he worse when tired is quite likely - human babies are the same way - when they are aroused and exhausted at the same time its a BAD combo- if he's getting tired tether him to you or pop him in a crate so he has no chance to get over wrought

a gentle quiet time out in a crate will teach him to self soothe and fall asleep an 11 week old puppy sleeps a LOT of the day and night - up for intense and crazy activity, eating drinking and alittle playing again then back to flake out

you mind find structuring his awake time and keeping him BUSY may help him go back to sleep

I do think you need to develop a plan and STICK to it - trying every different technique in rapid succession is only going to confuse him
    (tho I understand wanting a quick fix). Think of it this way - it's taken him 3 weeks to get to here (presuming you brought him home at 8 weeks) so expect to spend 6 weeks to fix the issue (and understand that other issues will pop up in that same time!)

hang in there - many of us who have lived with puppies have lived with this

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by lilbritgirl78
    but I really think we need help learning our "ALPHA" role in the house..
    Who eats first in your house? the humans or the dog?. If you're feeding the dog first, you are telling him that he's higher up in the pecking order than you & that needs to stop. Don't feed him until the humans have finished & that includes clearing off the table & doing the dishes. Only then, should you feed him.

I recommend you get a copy of this book. It's an ideal book for the 1st time dog owner & only cost $16.95. It also includes a basic training DVD in the back cover. I bought mine from Barnes & Noble in Chico CA when I was over there recently. It covers everything from the breed history, through to training & health.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ador+retriever

Garth is offline Registered Users

I also suggest you Google dog psychology & find some sites from there that can help you understand how a dogs mind works. Also go to youtube & use search words like dog training or dog behavior. There might be something useful there also.

As I said earlier, I still think you need to find a reputable trainer.

Good luck.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

An 11 week old puppy should be sleeping for most of the day.

When we walk I just have a regular nylon collar and leash. Should I have something else? He does pull hard and gets to the point where he's wheezing from the strain.
    A regular collar and leash is fine for a puppy. Training aids (harnesses, Gentle Leaders, etc.) are designed with adult dogs in mind. At 11 weeks, they are small enough to physically control, which is why you should install basic manners and training as soon as possible. If you train them successfully while they are young, you will probably NOT have to resort to training aids. This is where training classes come in. I assure you that they are not a waste of time, and they are more for your benefit as a handler then Bauer's. Good training classes train YOU just as much as they train the dog. Improper handling skills lead to confusion on the dogs part which further leads to frustration and undesirable behaviours. Dogs perform best when they know exactly what is required from them, and that comes from proper direction and handling skills. Your handling skills won't develop overnight but they are essentially the key to success in training your dog.

Who eats first in your house? the humans or the dog?. If you're feeding the dog first, you are telling him that he's higher up in the pecking order than you & that needs to stop. Don't feed him until the humans have finished & that includes clearing off the table & doing the dishes. Only then, should you feed him.
    ]
    Dogs do not think along these terms. "Alpha" theories came from studies of captive wolf packs and are generally considered to be severely outdated in the dog training world. A dog does not repsect its handler because he/she eats first, or walks through doorways before them, or any of that nonsense. Many of the behaviours that are labeled as "dominance" stem from a pure lack of training. A dog walks through a doorway before its owner -- dominance? nope, that dog has simply not been trained and told otherwise. A dog pulls on the leash -- dominance? nope. Again, a lack of training and direction. It is easy to place the blame on so called "dominance" as the cause of simple misbehaviours, and sadly that is why Average Joes dog is so poorly behaved. It is easier to blame dominance than it is to actually make an effort to train.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    I also suggest you Google dog psychology & find some sites from there that can help you understand how a dogs mind works. Also go to youtube & use search words like dog training or dog behavior. There might be something useful there also.

As I said earlier, I still think you need to find a reputable trainer.

Good luck.
    Or you could pick up a copy of Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash and see why all the internet/television talk about "dog psychology" and "dominance" and "pecking order" is all a bunch of boloney. Especially with regard to an 11 week old puppy. :whatever:

Don't worry about when you feed the dog. Don't worry about him sitting around plotting a hostile take over. He's a baby that doesn't understand what's expected of him. Keep that in mind and go from there.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast