Should I stop pup from eating leaves?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I stop pup from eating leaves?

YellowFurBaby is offline Senior Member

Default Should I stop pup from eating leaves?

Abbey LOVES to eat leaves, tree stumps, chew on sticks etc. (She always needs to have a stick in her mouth....is that a retriever thing?)

Should I be discouraging this behaviour while she's still young? What types of outside things should I watch for and stop her from eating/chewing on...things that might make her sick?
    ~~Lisa and Abbey 1/13/08<br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Should I stop pup from eating leaves?

I think it depends. Baloo won't just chew sticks, he will EAT them, and big chunks come out the other end. :glare:

So, I never allow him to have a stick in his mouth, as I don't want to take chances with perforations or obstructions. However, my friend has a doodle that will just carry the stick around for awhile, then lay down and meticulously strip it, not consuming any part at all. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sarah is offline Senior Member

we have quite a long backyard and our neighbours behind us have a HUGE tree in their backyard so the very back of our yard is always littered with leaves, sticks and bark.

We try to stop Milly from chewing them... especially the sticks because we don't want her to swallow a bit and then have obstruction issues but it's quite hard to sometimes. The leaves we aren't very worried about.. she just chews on them and then spits them out. Same with the bark... I think it's a puppy thing.... she's more interested in bark and leaves and empty soft drink bottles than the toys i've spent $$ on!!

At 4 months though it's not as much of an obsession than it was when she was 8 weeks... if that's any help with Abbey!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

rpliegos Guest

You have a Labra-goat instead of a Labrador me too!!

Misha is exactly the same as Baloo, she eats my yard (grass, leaves, roots, dirt rocks, sticks, you name it she eats it). Out in the mountain she will eat horse and sheep droppings when out of my sight. No matter how hard I yelled or tried to stop her, she just keeps doing it as soon as I turn my back on her.

Should you stop her, yes! but good luck. I do think itīs dangerous and something could get stuck in her digestive tract.

Thanks for the advice. The labra-goat reference is hilarious! She's really not outside long, just to do her business, (still waiting on her last set of shots) so she doesn't get away with too much eating. She tries to eat small twigs but will just hold a large stick in her mouth and stand "watch." Nosey dog syndrome.

It's so weird, for training we only use Abbey's kibble as rewards. I tried the cut wiener for "bigger" successes but she wouldn't eat it! She'd pick it up in her mouth, drop it on the floor and just walk away. Same thing at the vet. After her needle the vet gave her a heart shaped treat and she wouldn't eat it. YET...she'll eat dirt, sticks, leaves and hoover the kitchen floor for crumbs!

This is going to be a very difficult feat as we have many trees on the north side of our backyard. My boys might be doing some extra chores this summer.

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

WOW...and here we thought only Denali like to chew on leaves and or what ever else he finds in the back yard. So glad to hear its a puppy thing, but our problem is that we have a lot of wild turkeys that walk through the yard and sometimes I find him enjoying there left overs ..lol...strange though because in the house he has a bowl of food thats usually have eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by csully
    WOW...and here we thought only Denali like to chew on leaves and or what ever else he finds in the back yard. So glad to hear its a puppy thing, but our problem is that we have a lot of wild turkeys that walk through the yard and sometimes I find him enjoying there left overs ..lol...strange though because in the house he has a bowl of food thats usually have eaten.
    Eeek about the turkey droppings! :vomit: But I'm sure there are many dogs doing the same and eating worse!
    You're definitely not alone! And you should post more often! (Like I should be talking!)

Divino92 is offline Junior Member

Haylee is the same exact way! She eats anything she can find. Instead of playing fetch sometimes i will throw a stick, and then she brings it back, lays down and eats it. I always try and stop her but she just keeps doing it. She eats all of her toys to. instead of playing with them she chews them up. i am at a loss of what to do

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

We went through this more with Brooklyn than Remy. Sure, he's putting stuff in his mouth, but he's more chewing and spitting out than eating. And we've really been working on "drop it' so he will give up the leaf/stick/floor crud every time. Brooklyn devours grass. We literally have a designated grazing area for her that we let her visit a couple of times a day. We have to or our walks would be torture as she tries to consume our neighbors lawns. Our vet said not to worry about and she seems fine. We actually think its acting as extra fiber for her to keep her regular.

That being said I can tell you a couple things to watch out for:

1) really green new leaves (they keep telling me Spring is coming) - those will almost certainly cause diarrhea. Brooklyn is especially sensitive to maple
    2) leaves from plants and flowers that may be poisonous
    3) if your pup is getting a lot of dirt please be sure he's getting regular heart worm medication
    4) sticks can be dangerous. I usually clear what I can, but they are gonna chew sticks. The dangers of stick eating are possibly puncturing something in the digestion track, choking and damage to their gums. I'll let Brooklyn chew a stick for a little while...then I'll trade her for some kibble (you should see my stick collection - its very impressive!)

Also, don't take sticks and whatnot away from Abbey by force. We made this mistake with Brooklyn and then had to deprogram her resource guarding. Taking stuff away will just make them run from you - with everything - so always have treats that you can trade with on you. And again, we're training "Drop it" with Remy and its working wonders.

Best of luck!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

rpliegos Guest

"turkey droppings? Mmmm that sounds good".... Hey Misha, nobody asked for your opinion... "well, horse droppings and sheep droppings are really good, you havenīt noticed everytime you turn your head the other way from me at the mountains I eat those treats..."

I really understand your problem. Misha loves to eat horse and sheep droppings and Homer (gross) likes to eat his own :vomit: I have to check out and pick up as soon as he goes...

I havenīt been able to figure a way to stop them. I do yell at them and stop them from eating nasty things, but of course they have become experts in evading me... I really hope they grow out of this at some point and of course I keep dewormers as part of my regular dog medicines...

Labragoats! they are the new fad like labradoodles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast