How long does your puppy sleep at night?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does your puppy sleep at night?

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Default How long does your puppy sleep at night?

No matter what time we let Jonah out for his last time of the night (9:00 p.m. or 12 midnight) he wakes up between 6:00-6:15 am. It isn't the light waking him, as it is still dark. I'm wondering if your labs wake up early like that. Any suggestions for having him sleep in? I'd like to get to 7-7:30 if possible. I don't think he's waking to go to the bathroom, because on the nights we take him out later, he still gets up at that time. And when I take him out of his crate and let him go out, he doesn't rush to go, but rather sniffs around inside and outside before peeing (when he REALLY has to go, he rushes out and pees as soon as he hits grass).

I can't really ignore his whines, because he gets louder and louder and I don't want him to wake the kids up (they usually get up around 7-7:30). Am I setting myself up for him to forever getting up that early by not ignoring him, or is there anything else I can do?

By the way, Jonah was 13 weeks yesterday, sleeps in his kennel, and has been sleeping through the night for a week (the first 2 weeks he got up around 4 am, but would go back to bed, now when he gets up at 6, he won't go back to bed). I know he is still young, I just want to make sure I am not dooming myself for the next 15 years of waking up at 6:00 if I should be or could be doing something different now!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How long does your puppy sleep at night?

My guess, at 13 weeks there will be a lot of changes yet to come.
    Is your heat or air turned on automatically at that time?
    Is there any activity started at that time?
    Is your newspaper delivered at that time?
    Does your neighbor leave at that time?
    and on and on and on.
    Is his waking tied to his last meal before going to sleep? i.e. is he hungry? Try sliding the feed schedule an hour or two.

At 13 weeks and sleeping through the night, you don't have too much to complain about. But then my internal clock wakes me up at 5:00 everyday. weekday, weekend, holiday, vacation. This body getss up at 5. DW thinks I am nuts, but HK loves it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

We did push his feeding later, thinking the same thing, so he is now eating dinner at 7 instead of 6, with no change on that end. I think the newspaper comes earlier, but that may be what stirs him (it comes around 5:30ish usually), good thought. His kennel is in the front part of the house, so he could very well hear that car and possibly the paper hit. Don't think the neighbors usually leave that early, but I'm not sure. AC blows most of the night anyway on auto (we live in south Florida). Maybe I will try moving his kennel to a different spot in the house at night to see if that makes a difference if he is hearing something that early.

I know I can't complain at 13 weeks, and I don't really mind getting up with him for now. I just want to make sure I am not doing anything to set us up for that for the rest of his life. I finally got all 3 kids to sleep through the night and sleep in a little, and I went and got a puppy! But he's worth it! ;D
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

luv4labs is offline Member

Wish I could help, but Drake (6 mos. old now) gets up at 5:00 everyday and I can't seem to break him of that. We have gone to bed at all different times, tried everything. Most of the time he wants to eat right away. He heads towards the door and stops to see if there is anything in his food bowl. I don't remember Dakota doing this when he was a pup, but that was 14 years ago and my memory isn't so great. In Dakota's last years, he didn't get up until I did, no matter what time it was. Even some nights when I stay up late (1:00 in the morning or later) and I think, oh good, Drake will sleep in, he is awake and whining at 5:00. We have gotten better because it used to be 4:00, but I can't seem to get him past this 5:00 thing. I can't wait to see what responses you get. Good luck!
    &quot;My sunshine doesn&#39;t come from the skies,<br />It comes from the love in my dog&#39;s eyes.&quot;<br />

dolansdad is offline Junior Member

Dolan just turned 12 weeks, we walk him for the last time at 9:30, then he goes into the kennel. He wakes up between 2:00 and 3:30, I take him out, then he is up for the day at 5:00.

I'd be happy to eliminate the middle of the night walk.

BobLefty61 is offline Junior Member

Our 15-week old pup wakes up at 5AM every morning, whether she goes to bed at 9PM, 10PM or 11PM. The big reason for this is that both my daughter and I have to get up for school/work at around 5:15AM each weekday.

Until about a week ago, Rosie was also waking us at 2AM or 3AM, but that has stopped (hopefully for good). I can live with the 5AM "bugle call" for a while, but I'm hoping that she'll eventually make it to 6AM!
    Rosie (15 weeks) and Stormy (11 years)<br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunnylaz
    No matter what time we let Jonah out for his last time of the night (9:00 p.m. or 12 midnight) he wakes up between 6:00-6:15 am.
    This is the same for Baloo, and we don't have a paper boy!! Normally (during the week) I get up around that time anyways, so it works well. If it's a weekend or holiday and we want to sleep in, when he wakes @ 6 I'll take him out for a pee, and re-crate him until we are ready to get up. He sometimes whines a little, but gets over it pretty quick and goes back to sleep.

Maybe you could try having a frozen kong ready. When he gets up, take him out for a pee and put him back in the crate with the kong..? This way he'll start to think that good things happen when he goes back in the crate, it's not so bad at all!!

(And it'll probably keep him busy until around 7!! ;D)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

+ Reply to Thread