At what age should puppies leave the mother?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what age should puppies leave the mother?

Janika is offline Member

Default At what age should puppies leave the mother?

I seriously never gave it a thought before today, another question on my mind I forgot to research! I've spoken a bit on the forums now that I'm getting a puppy this Sat. She will be 6 weeks old. I've been reading around the net and generally most answers I'm finding are between 8-12weeks, and some ppl are saying that 6-7 weeks can be ok also, but not always recommended.

So what I can't find an answer for yet, is how will the puppy cope being separated at 6weeks? Will it be ok, safe?

The breeder I'm getting my puppy from is a really good friend of the family, ex-breeder actually, these pups were an accident. Anyway, I'm hoping it will be ok since they are all being picked up come Sat from several members of this family and friends.

imported_blacklab1973 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: At what age should puppies leave the mother?

I think you should wait until the puppy is at least eight weeks old. The first eight weeks the pup learns the most from its mother and litter mates. While you can get the pup sooner he is going to get far better socialization from its litter mates before 8 weeks. I know its hard to not want to just bring them home but I think it would be best to wait.

Janika is offline Member

Can't really wait any longer.....breeder wants them gone at six. My guess is since she stopped breeding, she doesn't want to pay for the other shots between 6-8 weeks. Might not have the money for them, still a very nice lady and the area they live in atm was extremely clean and well shaded/watered. Mom {age11} and Dad {age13} were both extremely healthy and very happy. She started weening them at week 4, and are already eating puppy food{sometimes still suckling mom.}

Sounds like she knows what shes doing well, I just never bothered to think about this question The other 2 dogs I had were adopted when they were almost fully grown so didn't think about it till now.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I think it is quite irresponsible of the breeder to INSIST they leave. She is responsible for bringing those pups into the world (even if it was an OOPS, yes OOPS happens but you then need to take FULL responsibility for it).

From 6-8wks they learn doggy behavior.

So to answer the question, the pup will be just fine and live a great life even if they leave at 6wks. But it will often set them back socially (might no play well at all with other dogs) and can lead to more difficulty in training (especially for things like bite inhibition).

Honestly there is just NO excuse. Having an unspayed gal is a responsibility and should not be taken lightly. You have to see things thru and do them right. It's putting the puppies at a disadvantage.

If she DOES know what she is doing that's even worse. KNOWINGLY giving the pups out earlier just cuz she doesn't want to deal with it is very low

ETA - the MOM WAS 11 YEARS OLD! You have to be kidding me!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Janika is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    ETA - the MOM WAS 11 YEARS OLD! You have to be kidding me!

KNOWINGLY giving the pups out earlier just cuz she doesn't want to deal with it is very low
    Nope she showed me all her papers on breeding, and the mom and dad were the ages I stated! ...and I'm not sure if that is the case, its just my speculation! However since I'm currently available 24/7, 3 of these pups are going home to friends just a few blocks away and our neighbors recently adopted a puppy, I have several options to let her mingle with siblings and others dogs quite frequently!

Now that I think about it, yeah some of it is wrong of the breeder, and not well managed. I did get to meet several other dogs she has sold to these friends that are now adults and doing extremely well.

Dani is offline Senior Member

You're getting a dog from a pretty shady breeder...did the dogs have any OFA clearances...even if it was an oops litter...I'm sure these dogs have been bred before.

6 weeks is hard. I got my first dog at 6 weeks and he was a handful....was mouthier longer, and in general is a very big velcro dog. I got Rookie at 8 weeks...huge difference. I'd never get another dog at 6 weeks again.

I can't imagine that paying $10 for a series of puppy vaccinations is that big of a deal. Jeese, at my rescue our puppies go out microchipped, neutered, wormed and with 2 sets of vaccinations at 8 weeks old for only $175. Most "breeders" (of the back yard kind) charge at least $300 for dogs. I can't imagine that she's losing money.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Are you in the U.S.? Some state laws mandate 8 wks. olice:

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is there no way you can back out of this? :-\

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Mom {age11} and Dad {age13} were both extremely healthy and very happy
    OMG!!!!! Wow I don't even know what to say... :-\ Mom is 11 years old... My Emma is 11 years and very healthy but there is no away, I mean noooooooo awaaaaay!!! I would even concider breeding on a dog that age no matter how healthy. This dog may be a healthy, happy old lady, but still it is a old lady! It's really sad.

But now to your question: No I would not buy a puppy @the age of 6 weeks. It's too early. As the others already said not before 8 weeks.

This "breeder" is NOT a serious breeder. I would recommend you go and look for another breeder, a serious one or go for a rescue.

Good Luck.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

CenTexLabs is offline Senior Member

Have you already paid her?

I am afraid that you may have bigger problems down the line if you stick with this "breeder". And I use this term very loosely.

I know all puppies need good homes, but you really need to get across to her that they need to stay for another 2 weeks. Offer to pay for the puppy shots yourself. It is critical for forming the social skills that are needed. I didn't get my boys until 9 weeks, and I am glad that I waited.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast