How many times a day do you feed your puppy?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many times a day do you feed your puppy?

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Default How many times a day do you feed your puppy?

Jonah will be 12 weeks tomorrow. I currently feed him 3/4 cups of Wellness puppy 3 times a day. I'm wondering at what age should I switch to feeding 2 times a day?
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How many times a day do you feed your puppy?

6 months
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Janika is offline Member

Was wondering that also, thx for info!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would ask your breeder.

Tucker. is offline Senior Member

My breeder recommended sticking with the 2 meals per day that they started them with.

Janika is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I would ask your breeder.
    Good point, hard to keep all the most important questions on my mind. Trying but theres just so much to do to prepare for a new doggie; I'm losing track of some things!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I stopped feeding 3x a day with both pups when I picked them up from the breeder...they never really ate the lunch meal so it never was necessary. Talk to your breeder and also asses your dog.

I don't think that 6 months true...I think each dog is different.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I switched Breezy to twice a day at around 5 and a half months. Switched to Adult food at 7 months old. She eats one and half cups dry kibble twice a day, for a total of 3 cups per day. She gets some treats every day, and a stuffed Kong about every other day. I try not to give biscuits too much, so I'll give her raw baby carrots and/or fresh string beans if I feel she is having too many biscuits.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When I said "6 months," I was relying on memory of Giffin & Carlson's recommendations in "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" which was the same as that of our vet at K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. The vet is now at Auburn and I can't ask her. But in G&C (3rd edition) it says:

"Puppies should be fed at least three times a day from weaning to six months of age. After six months, puppies can be fed twice a day. Do not feed puppies table scraps or snacks between meals, as this will unbalance the diet." (p. 281)

"If you own a large breed puppy, you may want to feed somewhat less than the amount recommended on the package.... Special formulas that are lower in calories, fat and calcium are available...." (p. 281)

"To promote socialization and avoid behavior problems, feed puppies together until they are at least six weeks old. Allow puppies to eat as much as they want in 20 minutes and then pick up the dish. Puppies should be fed at least three times a day from weaning to six months of age..." (p. 459)

But, despite my memory, my vet and G&C being in agreement (Wow!! ;D), to show there's not a rigid 6 month rule, from the "UC-Davis Book of Dogs" in the section on Nutrition, Ch. 9, "Feeding Dogs" by Vincent Biourge, DVM, PhD & Claudia Kirk, DVM:

"Daily energy intake should be divided into four daily meals just after weaning, with the frequency reduced to one or two daily meals by adulthood...." (p. 162)

And, "The Complete Idiots Guide to Labrador Retrievers" by Walton (Lab breeder & trainer) and Adamson (writer) says:

"How often should you feed your ravenous little puppy? We don't recommend...[free feeding]....(F)eed your puppy three times per day for the first three or four months. Then, you can usually switch to a twice-a-day diet." (p. 101)

So choose your expert and take your choice.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo's been fed twice a day since I brought him home. He has done well with it. He probably would have eaten the lunch meal, but then I think if I let him he would just eat all day long. No joke. :-\ :-X

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

+ Reply to Thread