6 1/2 month old puppy- peeing everywhere!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 1/2 month old puppy- peeing everywhere!

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

Default 6 1/2 month old puppy- peeing everywhere!

We have a 6 1/2 month old male, who in recent weeks has been peeing everywhere. He is not neutered, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. When we catch him in the act he gets a good swat with a newspaper and is sent outside to "go peepee"... but often we just find it afterwards!

I will admit to spoiling both the puppy and the older sister (who is 1 1/2 years old) who never had any problems being housetrained. Their are full siblings, so I figured they would be housetrained by the same mark- not even close!

During the day, the little puppy is kept in the laundry room, and frequently has accidents. We have started leaving a small piece of newspaper, to help the puddle soak up a little. I'm sure that is partly to blame for the confusion on not being allowed to go in the house.

However, when Bo is going in the house (with us home or not) it is not just by the front door, it is on the couch or on our bed! I know, I know don't let them up there. So I guess I need help in both areas!

Anyone who can help- please do!! I'm tired of going to the drycleaners and deep cleaning the couch!

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: 6 1/2 month old puppy- peeing everywhere!

I don't think being an intact male has anything to do with the peeing problem.

Have you had him since he was a wee puppy, say 8 weeks or so? Or did you just get him recently?

First, please don't swat him with a newspaper. I don't think that serves any purpose. I know you must be frustrated; I would be too. But swatting him with a paper isn't doing anything useful for him.

How much time is he alone during the day? Is someone there to take him out at regular intervals, or is everyone gone to work?

Do you have a crate? My suggestion would be to crate train him, just as you would a new puppy. That might be the quickest way to get him housetrained. If he's in a laundry room, he has room to pee and then go to another area of the room.

You might want to have him checked by the vet to make sure there's no physical problem that would be causing him to pee in the house. If there's no problem with that, go back to square one and use a crate, if he's alone during the day.

Other people will give more, and maybe better, advice.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

Yikes! Don't swat him with the newspaper. That just teaches him that relieving himself is a bad thing and he will hide this from you. Imagine the places you will find the puddles now!!!

A puppy needs to be taken out often. Every time he relieves himself outside, praise, praise, praise!! When he pees outside, say the word Potty and reward him for going.

When he goes inside, just clean the mess up, but do not scold him for it. You need to clean it up with a product like "Nature's Miracle". That will eliminate any kind of residual odor which may be causing him to pee in the same place again and again.

Crate training helps alot in these situations. Dogs are reluctant to urinate/defecate in their "dens".

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

He may have a urinary tract infection. You need to go to the vet to check that out first.

Never hit a dog. It's abusive and unkind whether you do it with a 2 by 4 or a newspaper.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

YIKES!! No newspaper!! All that will teach him is not to do it in front of you. (that's the only connection he'll make. not "I should go outside", not "going in the house is bad", only "Don't be near that person when I go potty". thats it, thats all)

Also, retrievers are VERY sensitive to the moods and attitudes of their "people".... If there is a lot of tension in the house, the dog is more often than not neurotic, a lot of stress, and the dog/s will pick up on that... not a great learning environment!

I would see a vet, if they can't find anything wrong, keep him crated or on a leash attached to your waist in the house, and PROPERLY housetrain. (many good books available, I won't reiterate it all here, would take waaay too much room.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

soulmindfist is offline Member

Yeah, hitting the puppy is no good, the puppy isn't the one who made the mistake, maybe alittle more attention 2 detail on your part will help, first, remember dogs will naturally (tend) do their thing in any area of the house that they have already eliminated at before, now what needs to happen is u need to recognize these areas and clean the (crap) out of them with an enzyme cleaner, which will eliminate the previous odor, so your puppy doesn't (cant) smell his previous eliminations anymore. Second, u need to watch him more carefully, recognize his/her behavior's, you know ..sniffing the floor/carpet,walking in circles, wandering off, doing back-flips, that sorta stuff, these signs maybe how your puppy is trying to tell you..."Mom? Dad?...it's time!" Third thing, when you catch her/him showing these signs,(I say "NO" in my best deep voice) pick her/him up (or lead) outside, and say it, (I say,"GO DO YOUR DUTY") never ever rub your puppy's nose in it, (not saying you did or anything, just saying.) one note though: A good way to recognize these signs are to be aware after every feeding, dogs experience, just like newborn baby's.... gastrocolic reflex, this means approx. 30 minutes after feeding, your pup is gonna wanna take a dump, so you can better perceive what it is your pups signs may be. Hope this helps you. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.

Chrissy is offline Member

I agree with what others have said.
    No paper...makes him do it away from you in secret (which is why you are finding it later). No yelling. They do not understand. :-[
    Take him to the Vet for a UTI check and such.
    I would start again with the basics:
    Crate when not watching(or small area like the laundry room), take outside, praise. I would use the crate since the laundry room must be too big. He would not want to soil his smaller "den".
    If found in the act just swoop him up and take outside.
    Do not let him see you cleaning the "mess".
    Use Nature's Miracle or Vinegar/Water mix.
    Confine him to a small area of the house that is easily cleaned. Do not let him roam freely anymore.
    I am puppy training now so this is reallt fresh in my mind-LOL
    <br />Belle at 4 months

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

Thank you to those of you who have offered advice! I have taken it all in- and we have GREATLY reevaluated how we have been training (or lack there of) our little Bo.

We have acknowledged the fact that being our second puppy, we have slacked in the training department and are now going back to reminding ourselves of how young he is (although he is now bigger than the older one)!

Thanks again- hopefully I will have progress to report soon!

Lostinadams is offline Junior Member

My six month old lab used to pee just out side. Now without warning he relives himself in our living room or kitchen. He does not poop inside ( thankfully) but he does pee. He sleeps all night uncreated without peeing a drop but during the day he does it. I was letting him out side and I could not even get the door open and he peed right there. It's driving me crazy. When I do take him out, he does nothing.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinadams View Post
    My six month old lab used to pee just out side. Now without warning he relives himself in our living room or kitchen. He does not poop inside ( thankfully) but he does pee. He sleeps all night uncreated without peeing a drop but during the day he does it. I was letting him out side and I could not even get the door open and he peed right there. It's driving me crazy. When I do take him out, he does nothing.
    bring in a urine sample to check for UTI.

If he is clear, back to basic potty training. Clean all accidents with odour neutralizing product, keep him tethered to you or otherwise limit his movements in the h ouse so you can watch him (crate him when you cannot). Bring him outside regularly for potty breaks, reward when he goes. Just like he was a baby.

Note that the original post is from 2007, while it is great to read up past discussions on the topic to find out info you can try but it can be confusing as most people may miss your post and answer the original question.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast