HI i'm new here, need some advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HI i'm new here, need some advice

imported_111@@@ is offline Senior Member

Default HI i'm new here, need some advice

OK so i have a black her name is Lola. OK now i wanna ask you guys for your opinion. OK i use a prong collar on her and its awesome and works. is it bad for her to have it on. cause i was at petsmart the other day and i had it on her and a guy walked up to me and said i shouldn't use it, it could cause damage to her neck now i didn't want to be rude so i just was like yea OK thanks. now i don't use it all the time only for walks because when i walk her with it its like a miracle. i can tell you I've never pulled it to choke her if anything i just tug on it. now when i walk her with the prong collar shes fine. now when i take to a pet store and she has it and shes sees other dogs she pulls and doesn't care that shes has it on and i feel bad for her. is there any other way to just keep her calm and not be so jumpy when shes see other dogs

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: HI i'm new here, need some advice

Obedience training!

Also, Petsmart is very anti-prong. When used correctly, they are safer than most collars. When used incorrectly, they are as dangerous as other collars (ie, choke chains).
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

DFWLab is offline Senior Member

i've been backed into a corner at Petsmart with a double teamed sales pitch to buy a $26 gentle leader from them cause i was "doing serious damage to my dogs trachea" the way he was "pulling" on the leash. : (not to say that can't happen, it just was a high pressure sales tactic in this scenario)

Mybabymambo Guest

I agree, petsmart is all about pushing the gentle leader. I was told I was abusing my dog because of this.

ok so its not just me. yea cause i was kinda in a debate about it ever since he told me something. i have a choke collar but i hate it, its just something about it that i don't like her to wear it. so do you guys think i should keep using the prong collar? the only time i use it is for walk or going places but when shes home i take it off.

so what about her getting excited about seeing other dogs. i know its normal but is there some way to stop it.

since i'm in here i wanted to ask if you guys thought using PetSafe® Big Dog Remote Training System. was ok to use. when i bought it i tried it on myself first to see how it felt. now i use this only for her digging well to stop it before she diggs. now i only use it if i see her in the dirt and i give her the warning before shes about to go in. do you think this will stop the digging?

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Hi 111@@@ reading your post brings back lots of memories when SASKA was a puppy, I also hated the choke collar, I used the Gentle Leader for a long while and have now changed to a harness which works really well now she is 16 months old.
    Also the getting excited seeing other dogs does subside as they get older, now when we meet them all in the park all she is interested in is her ball.. life does get easier the older they get honest.

cool thanks for the help everyone. you will be seeing me alot on here

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

so what about her getting excited about seeing other dogs. i know its normal but is there some way to stop it.
    There is one danger behind prong collars that many people don't consider. When your dog is excited about seeing other dogs, they get stimulated and they pull on leash, and either they self correct or you correct with the prong. Soon, dog greetings become a mix of hyped emotion and irritation, which can be a bad combination in some dogs. The problem is, they associated these feelings of tension and excitement with the presence of the other dog, and over time, some dogs can develop what is called Barrier or Leash Frustration and may begin to lash out at other dogs in an attempt to stop the anxiety.
    Labs are generally affable dogs, but barrier frustration can and will happen even in this breed.

Having said that, this is one reason why we should not rely on collars of any type to control our dogs. They are safety tethers but using them as training tools can carry a backlash.

When you meet other dogs and she begins to put tension on the leash, stop and remain that distance away from the dog and wait until she eases pressure off the leash. When she does, mark the behaviour, reward her, then slowly move closer, praising and rewarding her for looking at you or being beside you. If she doesn't, you are too close to the other dog and she is too stimulated to learn, so simply move back a bit. You will slowly be able to get her closer and closer and when she is controlling herself well and paying attention to you, then release her with 'OK, go play' to let her know she can go and visit the dog.

The rules are simple:
    If she pulls on the leash, you will stop and she will not be able to procede toward the other dog.
    If she remains with you, not only does she get good stuff and praise from you, she gets to move closer to the other dog.

It's that simple and it will be simple to her ONLY IF YOU ARE 100% CONSISTENT WITH THESE RULES olice:

If you turn the rules on and off to suit your mood or time schedule, she will not learn this and you will both be frustrated. If you are in too much of a hurry to play by the rules, loop her leash under her tummy to make a quick no-pull harness, save the training for another day, and feel good knowing you did not sabotage your training.

By teaching your dog that being with you pays off, you will soon find you won't even need to worry about which collar to use because she will never pull on it again 8)
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

wow thank you that will really help a lot. but the thing is its hard because we are at the store and i not sure if the owner would be okay with it if i let her jump on there dog. but its strage beause when we go on walks and she sees dogs barking she doesn't get that excited where she pulling. but i'll try and see maybe my g/f dads dog will help train her

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

She doesn't have to jump on the other dog...a nice polite sniff will do
    I simply mean Go Play as telling the dog that they have earned the reward of visiting the other dog with their good behaviour.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast