Feeding my 7 month old Lab
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feeding my 7 month old Lab

Dean is offline Junior Member

Default Feeding my 7 month old Lab

I hope someone can help, I have read so many contraditions on how much to feed my Lab. At present he gets fed half a mug of dry food three times a day, this is sometimes substituted with some cooked rice, pasta, fresh chicken and fresh vegetables. I addition he gets treats when he is good, this gets subtracted from his overall daily allowance.

I am about to go down to two feeds a day and wanted to knwo whether he needs the same amount of food split into two feeds or more.

Thanks

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Default Re: Feeding my 7 month old Lab

What is a "mug"? More importantly, how does your dog look? Can you feel his ribs when you touch him lightly? Or does he have a big layer of fat over them? How does he look from the top (looking down)? Can you see a waistline? If you feel his ribs when you press in lightly and he has a waistline, then you are feeding the right amount and should just divide the total amount into two feedings. If not, you'll need to cut back.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What is a "mug"?
    My guess is a drinking mug...they hold about 100 grams of food when full.

What brand of food are you feeding? 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) a day does not sound like a lot of food for a 7 month old. Getting the amount of food correct is particularly important while he is still growing -- young pups need more food than adult dogs do.

My dogs were on 3-4 cups a day at that age. The amount I fed peaked at around 6 months and went down to what I feed now; either 3 cups of kibble, 1 1/2 cups of kibble and 1lb of raw or 2lbs of all raw.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I was thinking the same as Trickster. You can tell alot by looking at your dog as well as feeling his ribs. Tal is 5 months and I feed him 3 - 4 servings (3/4 cup of kibble) each day. You cannot see his ribs but i can feel them and he has a waistline. Likewise, any treats I give him I adjust his kible accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread