"Our Best Advice" -- suggestions for the new owner - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Our Best Advice" -- suggestions for the new owner

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I would like to contribute to this thread if I may....

some may have been covered above, but if so, it only reinforces the importance

WHILE FEEDING: touch your puppy, pet her. Add a high value treat to her bowl while eating. Take the bowl away while eating, add a high value treat and replace bowl on the floor. this will teach your puppy that the bowl is *yours*. Yours to do with what you wish, at any time. It will teach non-food aggression.

(on how it relates to Zoe: I am able to do whatever I wish with her food, while she is eating. I can pet her, pull her tail, get in her face. This is what little children may do.)

WHILE CHEWING ON BONES, ETC.: teach to give it, teach to drop it. Again, pet her and get close up and personal. hold on to the bone. If comfortable, have people who come over take the bone away from her. GIVE the bone back. they will learn that it can be taken away, but they will get it back...sometimes. : )

(on how it relates to Zoe: anyone coming into our home, humans as well as dogs, are able to take ANYTHING away from Zoe at.any.time.)

BODY TOUCHING: Your vet will love you. Check her ears, check her mouth. You should be able to swipe her mouth too in case of foreign objects. Check her eyes (like you would check yours if you had an eyelash irritating them). Touch her bum (I do it with toilet tissue) Pull her tail. Pull her ears. Check paws, check all over. Again, your vet will love you.

as for the pulling of tail and ears...little children tend to do this. Get your dog used to being touched by anyone and everyone.

These few things were recommended by our behaviorist/trainer.

if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by zoesmom; 04-07-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

vamsi is offline Member

woowwwwwwww...that was just an amazing information for new bees like me

vivekvaid is offline Junior Member

Why is my 4 month lab Ignoring me .... i can back after 18 days and he is not coming to me - infact moves away from me

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"vivekvaid," please post questions like this in either "Lab Chat" or in a NEW (separate) thread in this "Training Tips & Puppy Advice" forum. THIS thread is for posting advice, not for raising questions to be answered. Those other 2 forums are for raising questions to get comments.

FWIW, my very strong opinion (having gone through this with my previous Lab, Bess) is that being away that long from that young a puppy probably provoked a temporary psychotic or depressed reaction in your pup. It trusted you and then, "poof" -- you were gone for what seemed like an eternity.

My suggestion -- accept its distancing, do NOT try to break through it with force (e.g., picking it up and holding it when it's squirming to run away). Instead, try to find those things in which the 2 of you can interact in ways that are fun for your pup -- rolling a ball to chase and catch, holding a Teddy bear for your pup to tug at, etc., -- anything that will be viewed as a fun game by your pup. Doing this will very quickly (in a day or 2) break down its reserve and distancing and a cuddly puppy will re-emerge.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

bionec is offline Banned

Hi................
    Really its very useful.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by bionec; 11-05-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Garth is offline Registered Users

titanthelabadorpuppy is offline Junior Member

I know I'm new here but I want to add something to a future person who may read this. well a few things as I've only had my puppy for a short while but have learned what seems like a lot of new things.

ok are you ready ?

1. if you are moving out of the sight of the puppy Use a crate.
    the crate is your best friend it will keep the puppy from chewing up those 200.00 pair of shoes or that xbox controller your boyfriend/husband/you may have accidently left out on the floor. if you are going to sleep or leaving the room trust me the the crate is your best friend.

2. Don't loose your cool.
    As with all babies puppies require a bit on patience. Yes the puppy is going to have accidents EVERYWHERE bed, sofa, floor, ect. (EVERYWHERE) the best thing for you to do when this happens and you find yourself getting annoyed, frustrated,ect is to let the puppy go outside to finish its business, put puppy in the crate for a little bit ( 5 mins) and take a deep deep breath and remember that just like you the puppy is still learning.

3. The Kong is your bestfriend ( I use this for Crate only if I'm leaving the house)

The kong is one of the most wonderful dog toys on the planet not only is it durable it makes for a wonderful food puzzle. here is a list ( this is for first time dog owners) of healthy wonderful low cost treats that can go in the kong.

A. peanutbutter
    B.apples.
    C. bananas
    D. Yogurt (PLAIN LOW FAT)
    E. Cheese ( Again LOW FAT)
    F. carrots (uncooked)

Most dogs love this treats experiment see what your lil guy likes and doesn't like most dogs take to the yogurt and peanutbutter easily.

Well I think i'm done I hope that I helped you out a bit.

Titans Momma

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Dog Training Lessons The beauty of KONGS
    Kongs and similar thick, solid rubber toys. These multifunctional, super-durable toys are ideal for chewing, games of catch, toss and retrieve, and other forms of play. They are appropriate for dogs of all breeds and sizes. These toys come in various sizes and weights, but all use a rubber that "gives" a little, minimizing the risk of tooth damage. The hollow varieties are extremely versatile and functional: they can be stuffed with soft foods, kibble and biscuit bits for a long-lasting distraction. They can even be used in place of a food bowl at mealtime. These are extremely durable, long-lasting toys even for strong, dedicated chewers.

Why Stuff a Kong?
    Dogs are animals that are genetically programmed to hunt for their food. Part of
    the reason there is such a prevalence of behavior problems in pet dogs is that they
    have so little mental challenge or work to do: their food is given to them for free.
    Zoos have had some success in decreasing behavior problems and improving the
    quality of life of many of their predator and primate species by giving them
    problems to solve in order to obtain their food. This same environmental
    enrichment concept can be applied to domestic dogs, who thoroughly enjoy finding
    hidden food and unpacking stuffed chew toys.

Stuffing Suggestions

Many people„´s Kong stuffing efforts consist of inserting a few dog cookies. This is
    scratching the surface of the creative food acquisition challenges you can cook up
    for your dog. Here are a few pointers and principles to bump your Kong stuffing
    prowess up to the next level:
    ¬‘ The level of difficulty should be appropriate to the dog„´s level of experience
    and temperament „¬ is he persevering or a „giver-upper. Any increases in level
    of difficulty should be done gradually, so the dog succeeds while developing
    perseverance. In other words, start easy and then make it tougher
    ¬‘ Easy stuffings are: loose and incorporate small, easy-to-fall-out pieces
    ¬‘ More difficult stuffings are: tighter, with some big pieces that take concerted
    effort and hole-squishing to get in (and thus will be difficult to extract)
    ¬‘ You can employ a matrix (peanut butter, cream cheese, canned food, toddler
    food) to hold the smaller bits in and give the dog side-polishing challenges
    ¬‘ You can wrap a stuffed Kong in an old cloth diaper or clean rag and/or enclose it
    in an old margarine or other container (try Quaker oatmeal cardboard
    containers!) to increase the level of difficulty through „nesting
    ¬‘ Hide regular stuffed or nested Kongs around the house so the dog has to hunt
    around to find them before unpacking them
    ¬‘ Give him all of his food this way, especially if he is a particularly „busy dog
    ¬‘ Stuff meat, mashed potatoes etc. in it and freeze. Or, plug the small hole with
    peanut butter and fill the cavity with broth, then freeze this to make a
    „Kongsicle (note: this can be messy „¬ best to give it to your dog outside!)
    ¬‘ Stuff cheese cubes in and then microwave it briefly to nicely coat the insides
    ¬‘ Clean your Kongs regularly with a bottle brush and/or in the dishwasher

The Kong manufacturer makes an easy-to-use edible Stuffin'. Of course, you can make your own stuffings with healthy and tasty items you may already keep at home. For example: combine kibble with peanut butter...cottage cheese...low-fat plain yogurt...low-fat cream cheese...mashed white or sweet potatoes...steamed carrots cut in bits and mixed with one of the above, or even mashed...mushy brown rice...moist dog food...raw foods diet...whatever healthy foods your dog likes

Recipe Examples

Tight (more advanced) Stuffing
    Layer 1 (deepest): roasted unsalted cashews, mild cheese chunks, freeze dried liver
    bits
    Layer 2: dog kibble, cookies or Liver Biscotti, Cheerios, sugar-free/salt-free peanut
    butter, dried banana chips
    Layer 3: baby carrot stick(s), turkey and/or leftover ravioli or tortellini, dried
    apples, dried apricots
    Pack as tightly as possible. The last item in should be a dried apricot or piece of
    ravioli, presenting a smooth „finish under the main hole.
    „Lite Version
    For cashews, substitute crumbled rice cake; for freeze-dried liver, substitute
    Caesar croutons; for peanut butter substitute fat-free cream cheese
    Yogurt- fill and freeze for a great way to cool off, or if the dog needs to be kept quiet- ie after a surgery,
    or for mouth injuries this is a great way to get cold on the area.
    Ice chips
    Excellent articles on appropriate dog toys
    Than you for Sharing these ideas for the Kong!

~Paul

kyle_stallworth is offline Junior Member

I read all the suggestions and comments here in the forum and I learned a lot from the different experience of all the members here. I want to learn more and I'm sure I will get a lot of information, tips and advices about dogs in this forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123