"Our Best Advice" -- suggestions for the new owner - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Our Best Advice" -- suggestions for the new owner

Nate is offline Member

KIDS -n- DOGS

You're going to need to work on BOTH ends of this equation, with your children AND your dog.

We went thru this when we got Wesley -- our girls were 7, 3 and prenatal. It is one of the most rewarding and bonding experiences a kid can go thru, but it requires work-work-work, especially initially as things are being sorted out.

Before the puppy comes home: Make sure the kids understand that you're now sharing your home and lives with a living, breathing animal. This isn't a Barbie doll, nor a tricycle. The dog will bark, run, pee, poop, eat, sleep. He'll want to be left alone at times, and he'll want to be included at others. Your kids will need to know that his tail is not for pulling, his ears are not for biting, and his tummy is not for every stray Cheerio that they may want to get rid of.

ESSENTIAL TO ALL THIS is a crate and a leash. And then there's the equipment for the dog. J/K. But seriously, the crate will be a place that the pup can go to get away from it all; have the kids respect that, especially if he's sleeping.

TRAINING MANNERS will be vital. Dog will quickly need to learn OFF, LEAVE IT, DOWN, SIT, HEEL, QUIET, KENNEL-UP, and POTTY. The earlier you can train these, the better. Use short sessions that remain fun, especially early on. Your dog has a lot to learn and the attention span of a flea with which to learn it.

GET OVER FOOD AGGRESSION ISSUES EARLY!! Our breeder recommended this from day one, and it worked fantastic. At every feeding, put the bowl down. Then, after a few bites, pick it up. Wait a moment and put it down again. Have your kids play with the kibble while pup is eating. Get their hands in there and have them sift through it.

The idea from the very start is to teach the dog that there's nothing you can't give that you can't also take away. And the same goes for the kids. You'll want to be careful of the games you play, too. For instance, many dogs love tug, but they can get out of hand w/it. If you're playing tug, make sure you 'win' more than you lose.
    Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Fetch?
    http://www.4pawsu.com/fetch.htm

Debunking the Dominance Myth
    http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti.../Debunking.pdf

http://www.4pawsu.com/pmdominance.htm

Animal Trainer's Introduction to Operant and Classical Conditioning
    http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/

Confusing Consequences
    http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/DrP2.htm

The Social Organization of the Domestic Dog: A Longitudinal Study of Domestic Canine
    http://www.nonlineardogs.com/files/S...g_Jay_.art.pdf

Alpha Status, Dominance and Division of Labor in Wolf Packs
    http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/m...stat/index.htm Here are two good links:
    1)Free download book by Dr. Ian Dunbar- "Before You Get Your Puppy"
    http://www.jamesandkenneth.com/new_puppy.html
    2)Some free videos for puppy training (Scroll down for previews- these are just to get an idea of what Dr. Dunbar's videos contain)
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/all/videos

Hope this helps any new perspective puppy owners. On waking early:

Is it starting to get light in the mornings where you are?? It may be the Internal Hunting Clock -- the one that says the dog must get up at sunrise and go-go-go all day long -- starting to ring. We face this every Spring, as Wesley is very in tune with his IHC and feels the need to tell me a couple times a morning that dawn is, indeed, breaking... "Dad? DAD!! DAWN!!!"

If that's the case, teach the SETTLE command. It has been our savior.

And know that next fall, when you're waking him, the shoe will be on the other foot.
    W/guidance, the Pinch collar can be your salvation (it sure was ours!).

1) It must fit correctly. Meaning it must be snug so's not to fall down around the dog's chest, but not too snug that it pinches 100% of the time.

2) It must be worn UP around the ears. Also, be careful putting it on and taking it off. Use the same ring every time (mark it w/a piece of electical tape) so that it becomes easier. And I would not use the breakaway pinch collars, as they tend to, well, breakaway, even when you don't want them to.

3) Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use a Pinch collar w/out you or someone responsible on the other end of the leash.

4) THE LEASH/LIVE RING MUST BE KEPT LOOSE INBETWEEN CORRECTIONS.

5) Pincher collar is a goodcop/badcop training tool, meaning the collar is badcop, You MUST be goodcop. When teaching, be sure to PRAISE the good stuff while the collar corrects the bad stuff!

6) Unlike a G/L or Halti, Pinch can be used to teach more than heel. In fact, it's pretty good at helping you teach the auto-sit, down, etc. etc.

BUT!!!!!!

7) A Pinch collar isn't a way of life. When your dog has learned what you wanted him to learn, graduate back to a buckle collar (maybe a choke chain first, THEN to a buckle) and retire the pinch to the bottom of your training bag.

Alhough it may look like a midevil torture device, it is not. And although your dog may yelp when it corrects, he's not being hurt. It gains their attention 100%. It's then up to you what you do w/that attention...

Good luck!
    It is presented as it is a wonder-tool ... And it is presented that's it not a way of life .. Well, a lot of dogs do live their life with such horribel tools around their neck, so i wont suggest this 'thing' as a solution. There are many other positive ways, to teach a Labrador (who we all love!) to walk gently near you on the daily walk ...

With positive reinforcement, and a good training (realy some dogs have a lack of training!) you could achive more, then using such 'collars' ...

That's why there's a ban for those collars on almost evry european dogschool, because they are often and regular missused, and do more dammage then good ...

So, spent a few bucks on a proper training, and let these colars in the petstore's, and dont put the level on training in the begining to high, often people wants a quick result with using such colars as a endup ...

After being for several years a dogtrainer, i could say that i achived more in just one single day without such collar, and ending up with a dog who has leash manners as if he was a member of the royal family
    Last edited by Bob Pr.; 01-23-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultWHATEVER THE WEATHER, PROPER CLOTHES, DOG GAMES

A further advantage of our giving daily exercise to a Lab is that it also gives us daily exercise. Several recent medical studies have shown that people who give their dogs daily exercise have fewer health problems and longer lives.

For rainy weather get a rain suit and a golfer's umbrella. On rain suits, avoid cheap ones that say "waterproof" and look like they're made of plastic or have a rubberized/PVC coating (often $25 or less). Instead, at a minimum, buy one with a jacket that has lots of ways to vent moisture (perspiration) from within (not as important for pants) but preferrably is listed as "breathable." Among USA sources for rain suits are sometimes www.llbean.com , www.rei.com , www.campmor.com , Sam's Clubs & Costco. Goretex fabric is best but usually quite $$$$. Other fabrics are also breathable if not quite as good (see Frogg Togs). Adequate breathable suits comfortable on walks are available for about $40-$200. You might search for rain suits in http://froogle.google.com A golfer's umbrella has plastic (not metal) ribs and shaft which doesn't attract lightning. They're usually a little larger and I prefer those with double (overlapping) canopies that lets wind gusts vent out. Sam's Club & Costco are often good sources for all the above.

For cold weather clothing, LL Bean, REI and REI-Outlet have quality merchandise. Get some polar polypro long johns, insulating socks, insulated ski bibs (or any insulated bibs; e.g., KEY has some insulated bib work overalls that are quite reasonable in price), down parka, winter hat or muffs, scarf, and insulated mittens. Learn to not over insulate (so you sweat) or under insulate (so you shiver).

For snowy weather, consider getting some XC-skis, poles, and boots -- or snow shoes if it's that deep. LL Bean, REI & REI-Outlet have these and the cheapest time to buy is in the late winter/spring as the snow season is ending. For your Lab, buy and use "Musher's Secret" on his/her paws (www.kvvet.com has it cheapest). For finding Training Dummies that can bury in soft, fresh snow, I buy several bright colors of 1/4" ribbon (about 3 ft long) and tie the middle of them through the grommet hole of the TD so there are at least 2 tails for each ribbon tied. After they land, the ribbons stay on top of the snow's surface so your Lab (or you) can locate them. (I prefer the vinyl TDs by "Lucky Dog" brand, 2" x 12", as sold by http://www.gundogsupply.com and many others.)

For walking on icy surfaces, I prefer Yak-Trax. They're sold at many stores or you can Google to find online sources. http://www.yaktrax.com/productspro.aspx Also, using ski poles or hiking poles often helps when walking on slippery surfaces.

For indoor games and retrieving (e.g, when there are tornados or lightning in your area) you might get a duck or pheasant hunter to give you, say, a dozen wings. You can hide these throughout your home and then send your Lab to find them. (Start with easily found places and then, as s/he gets better, make them harder to find.)

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 03-07-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

DefaultAVOIDING YELLOW SPOTS IN GRASS CAUSED BY DOG URINE

Some people feed their dogs special supplements hoping to avoid the yellow spots in their grass caused by dog urine.

These do not work. Read the advice of an expert at Purdue University on how to handle this problem:

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/do..._problems.html

What works very well for us is to keep a one gallon milk jug filled with water by the door as Puff goes out to pee. Pour half of that over any pee spot (ASAP) and your grass will flourish. The dog urine is actually a good fertilizer -- just not in the industrial strength concentration coming from the tap. Diluted, it helps; full strength it burns.

I also heard that if you can bottle up your dog's pee and mix it with water it works wonders as a fertilizer. I haven't tried it but I'm tempted. I'd just have to find a way to bottle it directly from the source.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nate is offline Member

Hiya all - we recently updated the justlabradors.com homepage

We thought that this thread would be an amazing addition to the articles on the page and would be extremely helpful to all new Lab owners! We included an article with all of this information and titled it "best advice from the Just Labradors community" and have left everyone that contributed on the post to give full credit.

We hope that everyone who contributed is ok with us sharing this information, we did so with good intentions in mind however, if anyone has an issue with having their tips or having their member id included, please let us know and we will remove your section.

Thanks so much in advance and we hope that this great advice is used and shared with many!

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

This is such a wonderful thread - I loved the 'I am a puppy' especially. If I ever needed to thank anything and everything for being allowed to make our truly exceptional puppy part of lives - that post said it all! I will certainly ask my vet tomorrow (when Dinozzo goes for a check up) about feeding a more specific food for his type (at present he's on 'Bakers Puppy' - but I don't suppose you'll have heard of it) and I will certainly try putting the nylbone in his food to (try) to slow him down...though the last one didn't survive after being chewed and eaten But 'Kong' toys...they're brilliant and stand up to his attentions with only teeth marks on them (so far)
    We walk daily - he's pretty good on his harness except when he sees one of his 'friends' - a group of young mums (not that i'm a young mum, I'm an old granny) who let their dogs play in the park after dropping their children off at school...when he pulls quite a bit...but he is only 6 months old...and I think he's doing very well. I'm so proud of him.
    The garden problem, well as one of the other dogwalkers said to me - "You can either have a beautiful garden or a dog...you can't have both. And I know which I'd rather have, doesn't matter how many flowers you have, they can never return love 1,000%". I have battled severe depression for most of my adult life - February was always the worst month. Since Dinozzo came into our family, I haven't needed single antidepressant and February...well I know we're through it as my birthday on the 27th but the usual intense SAD - didn't happen. I owe him so much.

I have battled severe depression for most of my adult life - February was always the worst month. Since Dinozzo came into our family, I haven't needed single antidepressant and February...well I know we're through it as my birthday on the 27th but the usual intense SAD - didn't happen. I owe him so much.
    GREAT!!! I hope you've found your long-term solution!!!

creatism is offline Senior Member

my only advice is what ever you do WHAT EVER YOU DO. do not leave a long line attached to the prong collar and do recals. it will catch on something eventually and then you have to spend the next 6 months to a yr retraining your recall

creatism is offline Senior Member

i lied one more thing, it is better to skip training for a day or 2, then train when your heads not into it. basically if you had a crap day and your a stones throw from killing some, thats probly not the best time to train your dog. usually thats the day they wont listen, just feed them in their crate and take them for a walk and be done with it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

When we got Kassy from the breeder she told us the best advice I had. Never go to your dog. Make the dog come to you.

Most of all enjoy your dog. The love, patience and training you put into the early years pays off double and more.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

dweck is offline Senior Member

A piece of advice, if you will, from someone who's been there....

The loss of Clint -- atop Wesley and Taffy and Fudge and Emma and Joe M's heartdog and others that, to my shame, I can't even recall right now -- is compelling this post.

Those of you with seniors. Those of you with junior-seniors. Heck, even those of you with puppers.

Heed --

I'm telling you. From experience: HAVE NO REGRETS.

When it comes to your dogs and your relationship with him/her and your goals and activities and achievements and plans.... HAVE NO REGRETS.

In other words, If you've been planning ***something*** with/for/concerning your dog. Please. Do it now. Today. Don't let the weekend go by without acting on it.

Because you never know.

With Wesley, I had been saying for YEARS that I wanted to take him for a professional photo. Him and me. Outside if possible. Or in a studio. Didn't matter. Him and me.

And now........ well..... I can't.

BIG REGRET.

A thousand stupid things got in the way: The calendar. The constraints of the checkbook. Etc. etc. etc.

And the opportunity has passed.

So please:

If you've always wanted to take your dog for a professional photo -- DO IT NOW
    If you've always wanted a CGC title -- EARN IT NOW
    If you've always wanted to try conf/rally/obed/agility/flyball/therapy work -- ENROLL TODAY
    If you've always wanted to take your dog swimming in the ocean, or climbing the Applachians, or skydiving, or whatever -- GET THEE TO IT
    If you've put off buying that new collar, the new leash, the coolio dog tag, the frivolous toy -- BUY IT NOW
    If you've always wanted to dress your dog in a santa hat/easter bunny ears/great punkin face/leprechaun whiskers -- HAUL OUT THE COSTUMES TODAY AND SNAP TO IT
    If you regret not taking your dog for more walks -- GET OUTSIDE
    If you put off treating your dog to ice cream -- GRAB A CONE

And most important:

Love them. Every day. With kisses and hugs. Love them so tightly that they'll never doubt -- even for a second -- that they're adored.

Because time is short.

So, so short.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast