Bathing Ideas - Dry shampoo any good?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathing Ideas - Dry shampoo any good?

FLHunter3006 is offline Senior Member

Default Bathing Ideas - Dry shampoo any good?

My wife is dying to bathe our 8 week pup, but I keep telling her how you guys recommend against it.
    A neighbor recommeded "Four Paws - Magic Coat Dry Shampoo" Anybody has used it?
    What is your bathing schedule if any?and products used....

Thanks!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Bathing Ideas - Dry shampoo any good?

Try and convince your wife that your pup does NOT need to be bathed. Direct her to this thread if need be.

Labs are not the type of dog that need to be bathed regularly. Bathing strips the coat of its natural oils and can create problems like dry skin. Occasional bathing (1-3 times a year) won't hurt but again, unless there is some kind of smell problem (say the pup rolls in poop) it is not necessary. My dogs only get a bath when they have rolled in something disgusting. If they are just dirty I wash them with cold water but don't use shampoo.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Why does your wife want to bathe him? If your puppy smells try using a few squirts of the Listerine fast bath (recipe to follow). It will make a huge difference, and it doesn't take much! Usually the paws can be a source of odor -- but if it's the ears it may be another problem all together.

Listerine Fast Bath: Take any flavor of Listerine (we use the orange/citrus) and mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Just a few squirts will do. Save the extra.

My wife must thinks she is like a "human" baby, the pup does not smell bad, just a slight normal dog hair smell. I had read on previous postings about the Listerine and did actually buy the Citrus, but I am a little afraid on using it . Is it safe for an 8 weeks old?
    Any other ideas on grooming, like ears,nails,etc??
    Anyone has use the "dry shampoo"?

And YES .....I will show this thread to my wife later on....

Thanks

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If your wife is absolutely adamant and won't budge about the bathing situation I would look for a natural oatmeal based shampoo. This is will be easier on the pups sensitive skin but again, try and persuade her otherwise. It is really not necessary.

I don't know about other people but I don't bother messing with my dogs ears unless there is a problem. You probably don't want to be using any type of ear cleaner on a pup. Same for nails. They don't need to be clipped unless they are too long.

Gerties Mom is offline Member

Here's a little heads up on ears.
    My husband bathed our 9 week old black lab because of odor.
    I just got back from the vets with ear drops because of a yeast infection in his ear.
    If you need to bathe the puppy, stay clear of the head and don't get the ears wet.
    If you notice a foul odor, check the ears. What I though may have been mites was a yeast infection.

Very glad to hear about the ear problems!
    Thanks for all the responses!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

IF you DO get an oatmeal based shampoo PLEASE be SURE to get one especially* formulated for dogs -- NOT one formulated for human adults or babies.

Many people think that by using a human baby shampoo they are insuring that they're using a really gentle shampoo on their puppy.

WRONG!!

Human skin is many times more acidic than puppy's and dog's skin in pH* *(the measurement of how alkaline or acidic something is).* That which feels "neutral" to humans* does not feel that way to dogs. Because all human shampoo -- including baby shampoos -- have a pH formulated for humans, NOT dogs.

Using baby shampoo on dogs or puppies will be very irritating to their skin and cause shedding, dandruff, itching, etc.

IF YOUR WIFE IS DISAPPOINTED WITHOUT THE BATHING EXPERIENCE -- I suggest she go ahead and bathe the pup BUT DO NOT USE SHAMPOO -- JUST LUKE WARM WATER* and make it a play time.* It'll provide a good introduction of the pup to water -- and for being dried off afterwards (my Puff likes that part the best).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

tmurphy171 is offline Junior Member

I wash my 10 month old Lab once about every 2 months due to her rolling in the smelly stuff, after awhile it builds up. When I bath her I am amazed at the water color, the water is dark brown from all the dirt that’s on her. For the people who live with their dogs in their home and do not bath their dogs ever, my question is why not? They seem (from my experience) to get filthy after a period of time. How do you remove the dirt from them on a regular basis if you don't bathe?

I understand the concern removing of "oils" from their skin, but in reality for a dog without skin issues (other then being dirty) how bad is it to wash your dog now and then.

tmurphy171 is offline Junior Member

And to the person who posted about their dog getting an ear infection - great point - dry their eas after a bath or swim.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast