Puppy still peeing every 1/2 hour
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puppy still peeing every 1/2 hour

graciesmom is offline Junior Member

Default Puppy still peeing every 1/2 hour

???
    New to the site. Thanks for all the help. My Gracie is almost 13 weeks old and is still peeing every 30 minutes. I either take her out and she pees or she'll have an accident in the house if I can't get to her. She mainly has accidents in the house if she is just walking around, which we let her do a lot. She only gets crated if we go out and at nighttime and she never pees in the crate or if we are holding her.

I have to say she only pees about a 2 tablespoons of urine inside and outside. We take her water away at 6 pm per the breeders instructions.

I started puppy pads and newspaper in all the rooms in the house when we brought her home at 8 weeks, but she just started chewing them up and dragging them around.

She's definitely trainable because if I say "want a treat" she'll come flying toward me at 60 miles an hour! Any suggestions.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Puppy still peeing every 1/2 hour

It might be that she has a UTI... not uncommon. I'd take her to the vet personally.
    ~Lindsay

Allie is offline Senior Member

Does she drink from the water bowl frequently? *She is still young, and she may still be having trouble knowing when she has to "go". *Have you tried limiting her access to water? *Maybe only offer it to her once an hour or hour and a half? *If you are busy at home and can't watch her for a few minutes, I would crate her if you know she'll probably have an accident. *That may help her learn to hold herself more during the day as well. *

If limiting her access to water/crating doesn't work in a week or so, I would investigate for a UTI as well.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would check for a UTI first. Most likely you won't have to take your dog in, just bring take a fresh sample in to your vet. The easiest way to do this is to use a disposable gladware type of container that has about a 1" side. Just slide it under your puppy -- from the back -- when she's peeing. By the time she realizes what's happening, you'll have your sample. ;D

Also, the puppy pee pads send confusing signals -- I wouldn't recommend those. I would limit her water -- just offer it every 2 hours or so, unless of course she is panting heavily or is outside in the heat. And take her outside frequently. When you go outside make sure you say "go potty" (or your choice of words). When she pees outside you need to get REALLY excited -- I mean practically throw a ticker-tape parade. Make sure you give her a treat and say "good potty" as soon as she goes. By doing this you will teach her to potty on command, which is really handy.

The key here is to set her up for success -- that means being outside when she potties and praising her to high heavens. By doing so she'll learn that outside is where she is rewarded and praised and that's where she is supposed to go.

I'd also recommend bell training ... it really comes in handy later on.

soccer_wam is offline Junior Member

is there any discharge after the puppy pees? i heard about giving them unsweetened cranberry juice. just a little like 1 to 2 ounces. has anyone else heard of this? and does it work?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soccer_wam
    is there any discharge after the puppy pees? i heard about giving them unsweetened cranberry juice. just a little like 1 to 2 ounces. has anyone else heard of this? and does it work?
    Most dogs aren't going to drink cranberry juice. You can use cranberry pills such as Cranactin. HOWEVER we are talking about a very young puppy here. In this case the poster needs to first determine if there is a UTI, and second, get the vet's approval & dosage recommendations for a puppy this age. I had my girl on Cranactin for months after her UTI. It was the only one she ever had -- can't say that it was the Cranactin, but I don't think it hurt. I stopped only because she's on an very restricted, elimination diet and it's one of things I eliminated .

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

You still have a very young puppy. At 13 wks, having to pee every 30 minute while awake and moving sounds pretty normal to me. Keep a better eye on her in house and get rid of the potty pads/newspapers
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

We don't allow Tasman access to the whole house, just kitchen and lounge so I can keep
    a good eye on him. If I cannot keep my eye on him a 100% I crate him. After that outside, chant "hurry up", he wee's, BIG PRAISE and TREATS (at least 3pcs). Obviously all this after you have made sure she does not have an UTI.

Good luck!
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I think every 30 min is alot. I'd have the vet check him out.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

hmm Buck used to do that at that age. When he'd be out of his crate he'd run to the door to go out and pee every 30-40 mins. I'd have to hurry up and let him out because I knew he couldn't hold it too long.He wouldn't pee a whole lot but he'd pee and then he'd be back in playing again or if the weather was nice outside he'd run around outside. Now he asks to go out at much longer intervals and if he is busy playing he will hold it as long as possible before he asks to be let out.

I was told by my breeder not to try the paper or pee pad method of training because it just confuses the puppies and also makes it harder and longer to housebreak them. So, since day one Buck was taken outside to go potty and also is kept to a limited area of the house where it's easy to clean up incase of accidents and also easy for us to keep an eye on. He is 4.5 months old now and we are slowly letting him into other areas of the house.

But if you feel like something is wrong it definitely does not hurt to take a sample to the doctor and check for UTI. Better safe than sorry

+ Reply to Thread