Indoor/Outdoor Dogs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor/Outdoor Dogs

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

DefaultIndoor/Outdoor Dogs

Have a question for anyone that has their dog indoors & outdoors:* We just got Bailey this past week, so she's been inside (kitchen) since we brought her home (sleeping on her kennel in the kitchen at night), but eventually when she's bigger we will be putting her in an outside kennel run while we are at work during the day so she has more room to play then in the house.*

Just wondering how other's made the transition from inside to outside & any good tips in doing it.* We're planning on playing with her out there to get her used to it awhile before we actually keep her in there, but any other tips would be apprciated!!*

Thnx!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Indoor/Outdoor Dogs

Hate to say this but dog's don't "play" when they are outside. THey don't entertain themselves. They get bored. I have never understood the philosophy to leave a dog outdoors when it's going to sleep anyways.

But my dog does enjoy being outside...mainly when I am outside. Otherwise, he want's to be where ever I am.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Most people on this forum, me included, believe that Labs, as people dogs, should be inside in most circumstances. There are allways exceptions of course.

Go into LabChat and read the post about stolen labs. Outside dogs are just not safe in my opinion... from a crummy neighbor who throws poison into your yard (it's happend, not to me but people I know) to the doggy-napping... and just there is more oportunity for your dog to get into trouble... find a way to get loose and get hit by a car etc.
    ~Lindsay

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Sorry but if you banish your dog to a kennel she will be very miserable. Labradors are people dogs and do not cope well with being alone even with all the play time in the world. Like pretty much all dogs they hate being isolated from their packs. You are better off crating her inside the house. At least then you know she is safe.

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

Good question! I am with the others Tasman is an inside dog and when he is old enough, (read better behaved ) he will be our shop-dog.

The reason I wanted a dog is to have a buddy that's always there and he can go with my husband and do deliveries etc. I would like him with me 24/7 only my husband does not want to have him sleeping next to the bed so he is in the lounge.. (untill I convince him otherwise of course LOL)

<br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Most people on this forum, me included, believe that Labs, as people dogs, should be inside in most circumstances.* There are allways exceptions of course.

Go into LabChat and read the post about stolen labs.* Outside dogs are just not safe in my opinion... from a crummy neighbor who throws poison into your yard (it's happend, not to me but people I know) to the doggy-napping... and just there is more oportunity for your dog to get into trouble... find a way to get loose and get hit by a car etc.
    I'm with ya there. Inside you'll know your dog is in the safest possible place. They can dig under fences, be stolen or some idiot playing a very cruel joke can either torment your pet or kill them. The tormenting part happened to my cocker spaniel when i was a kid. Until we caught the perpetrators and by then it was too late. One of them was one of my "friends' who I went and beat the crap out of.

Keep your dog inside when you cannot supervise. You and they will be glad you did.

Thanks all for your opions & advice. Didn't think about some of those things happening when we're gone; I just figured it'd give her more room to run. We'll have to re-think our plans for when she's bigger.
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

LovingMyLabsLori is offline Senior Member

I have to say that I agree with everyone here. Labs that are left outside too much begin to cause trouble when they are inside....I know that people say don't put a human emotion on these animals but that is very hard to do when you have grown up with them (more than 35 years with Labs!). I have found that when I left my labs outside alone too much they were very difficult to control when they came inside in the evening.

But, there are more important reasons why you really should re-think an outside run.....We had a lab stolen while I was at home; the recent thread that spoke of theft said that it occurred while the family was inside eating dinner. It is just best to keep them inside when you are not home.

Having said that...we are putting in a run for occassional use..such as when I am mowing the lawn and the dogs are louder from inside the house than the mower ! Or when we have visitors that don't love our labs the way that we do, especially lying on their feet under the picnic table!
    ** * * <br /><br />Grandquest Itza Callie at Davlo Farm AKC YF 1/2006<br />Majestic Murphy of Davlo Farm*NR BM Rescued 1/2004<br />Black Baby Indio&nbsp; AKC BM* Rescued 9/2004

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I'm with the pack on this one.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Quote Originally Posted by LovingMyLabsLori

Having said that...we are putting in a run for occassional use..such as when I am mowing the lawn and the dogs are louder from inside the house than the mower !* Or when we have visitors that don't love our labs the way that we do, especially lying on their feet under the picnic table!
    After reading all your comments, that's what we'll be using our kennel run for too!! Thanks again all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast