New pup this summer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pup this summer

sowa is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew pup this summer

I'm on a waiting list for a pup, hopefully by this summer.

My problem is up til now I've always been in a situation that someone was pretty much always home to let the dogs out while I was at work. I'm no longer in that situation, and I'm in school for 8 hours a day and my boyfriend works 8 hours a day and it's too far to come home at lunch. I have my mother stop by once a week right now to let my 4 year old lab out to pee, but she can only make it once a week.

I'm worried about having a new pup and this being too long to be away. I'm hoping to crate train her, or at least leave her in an x-pen until she's old enough to have free reign of the house. Clover is not put in a crate while I'm gone and is very well behaved. Does anyone else leave a new pup for 8 hours a day? What can I do? I can't really afford day care right now. I plan to walk them before and after school but 8 hours is a long day for a pup. I also plan to work over the summer, I'm hoping to get a job near by so I can go home for lunch but that's not something I can depend on and it's only for a few months before going back to school.

Any advice is welcome. I hope to be able to provide the best home for my new pup, I've just never been in this situation.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

My gut feeling as a breeder is that this is not the right time for a puppy. I'd encourage you to wait until finances and time are not at such a premium. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

sound too long to me. We were raising a puppy this summer, but I changed my work schedule so that I could be home early every day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

If it were me, I would find a reliable, trustworthy friend or neighbor to let the pup out midday or else wait until I could afford a reliable, trustworthy professional dog walker. Eight hours is too long for a pup. That's one of the many questions I ask about before allowing someone on my wait list, because it's so important to a pup's physical and mental well-being.

jertom is offline Senior Member

8 week old pup needs a bathroom break very 3 hours, and what about the need to socialize and play?
    how would you ever housebreak him?
    please reconsider.

I need to work for a living....as you saying everyone who gets a puppy no one works 8 hour days? I find that hard to believe....I was thinking of leaving it with my mom during the day or finding a way around it just curious what peoples suggestions are other then "don't get a puppy"

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

If you can't find a solution it may be best to wait or get an older dog. I am hoping to get a puppy and in my cost analysis I need to factor in a dog walker for a few months (daily) - with a few other options. But I would never get a puppy if I had to leave it for 8 hours 4 days of the week.

I was just curious what people themselves do with their pups. I will be getting the puppy. I never said I won't do what it takes to care for it. I'm a very responsible pet owner. I know now it can't be left alone for more then a couple hours at first so I've asked my family for help. Between my dad, mom and my boyfriends parents I'm sure I will be covered. As well if I get the job close by I plan to leave late, come back at "lunch" and have my boyfriend go to work early and be home early so if need be the puppy will not be alone for more then a couple hours. Like all my dogs, the puppy will go to puppy classes for socializing and training. I have a large fenced in yard for her and my older lab to play together (Clover has been lonely since my last dog passed away) I also live down the street from a dog park and lots of fields for exercise. I'm not concerned about the dog getting enough. I plan for an off leash run before and after work.

I was simply looking for advice on what to do. If anyone else has suggestions about what they did with their pups I'd love to hear it. How long before they can be left for longer? I was thinking by 1 year she would be ok to stay for longer periods at home in an X-Pen with me working regular hours and coming home at lunch.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

When mine are very young, I put an expen around the crate (with door open) and have someone (me or hubby or my dog walker) come midday and let them out for an hour. I try to work the timing so they have a chance to potty outside every 3-3.5 hours. As they get older they can go longer. Once teething/destruction is done, I leave them loose in my 'dog proof' part of the house (except for my grumpy non-lab that is only with the others when I'm there to supervise). That age varies depending on the dog. Even as adults, I still let them out mid day for a good run in the yard whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sowa View Post
    I was simply looking for advice on what to do. If anyone else has suggestions about what they did with their pups I'd love to hear it. How long before they can be left for longer? I was thinking by 1 year she would be ok to stay for longer periods at home in an X-Pen with me working regular hours and coming home at lunch.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I worked 8 hours a day, but I went home early and finished up at home. By 7 months they can be crated for a whole day at work, but you have to consider how fair is it to a pup with a lot of energy to spend 9 hours in the crate during the day and then 8 hours in the crate at night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast