New pup this summer - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New pup this summer

sowa is offline Junior Member

The good thing about the work I'm getting into is very flexible hours. Most places allow you to set your own hours and some work from home. If I have to I'll work later in the day and have pup exercised before work I'll figure it out.

As far as crate training goes....I've never done it. Do they have to spend the night in the crate to be used it for day time? When Clover was young we used to set her up next to our bed at night and close her off in a space. She'd sleep soundly through the night and not pee in her bed. I was hoping to do the same for the new pup but maybe that's confusing for her since she'd be in the crate during the day while no one is home? What do you think is best? I don't like having them in the crate if they don't need to be. Clover was about 1 or a little older before she was trusted in the house with no one home. I used to have a basement that I could block off as a "run" for her while she was in her chew everything phase. She's very well behaved now.

This is the bed area we had for Clover when she was young. She now has a proper (giant) bed in our room where she sleeps at night.

jertom is offline Senior Member

you don't have to use a crate. you've already proved that with Clover.
    the good thing about a crate is it becomes "their" place and you can move it around if/when you wish, they don't have to locked in it after being housebroke, you could place in the run area, add some blankets and toys, some will point out other pluses like being comfortable in a crate for boarding or staying overnight at the vet.
    at 14 months old Rocky doesn't use his anymore but I'm hopeful if it becomes necessary he won't be terrified of staying in one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SavvvyLu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by sowa View Post
    I'm on a waiting list for a pup, hopefully by this summer.

My problem is up til now I've always been in a situation that someone was pretty much always home to let the dogs out while I was at work. I'm no longer in that situation, and I'm in school for 8 hours a day and my boyfriend works 8 hours a day and it's too far to come home at lunch. I have my mother stop by once a week right now to let my 4 year old lab out to pee, but she can only make it once a week.

I'm worried about having a new pup and this being too long to be away. I'm hoping to crate train her, or at least leave her in an x-pen until she's old enough to have free reign of the house. Clover is not put in a crate while I'm gone and is very well behaved. Does anyone else leave a new pup for 8 hours a day? What can I do? I can't really afford day care right now. I plan to walk them before and after school but 8 hours is a long day for a pup. I also plan to work over the summer, I'm hoping to get a job near by so I can go home for lunch but that's not something I can depend on and it's only for a few months before going back to school.

Any advice is welcome. I hope to be able to provide the best home for my new pup, I've just never been in this situation.
    Don't get a pup yet. You're too busy and they need a lot of care and attention. We only got one last May Because my husband was home working. They can't be alone for 8 hours a day, pee pee breaks happen every few hours lol. My husband would also stay up very late for her last potty break and I was up at 5am for the first of the day potty break.

SavvvyLu is offline Member

The good thing about the work I'm getting into is very flexible hours. Most places allow you to set your own hours and some work from home. If I have to I'll work later in the day and have pup exercised before work I'll figure it out.

As far as crate training goes....I've never done it. Do they have to spend the night in the crate to be used it for day time? When Clover was young we used to set her up next to our bed at night and close her off in a space. She'd sleep soundly through the night and not pee in her bed. I was hoping to do the same for the new pup but maybe that's confusing for her since she'd be in the crate during the day while no one is home? What do you think is best? I don't like having them in the crate if they don't need to be. Clover was about 1 or a little older before she was trusted in the house with no one home. I used to have a basement that I could block off as a "run" for her while she was in her chew everything phase. She's very well behaved now.
    My first lab was three before he was good alone for long periods in the house. He was crated at night, and sometimes if we went out. We tried leaving him alone uncrated and he ripped up carpet...yep lol. My current lab, is on a crate schedule. Her personality cannot be trusted XD so it really depends on the dog. If Lucy is alone for five minutes she's chewing on something. I'd recommend a crate but that's my opinion. If they are good with out one, even better but I've only had that luck with an older adopted dog.

chorzel is offline Junior Member

A lot of kennels offer "day care" where you can drop the pup off and pick him up, maybe this would be an option?
    Definitely wait till he's a little older though (ask your vet...some point in time after the last round of shots).
    Hope this helps... BTW, there are lots of dogs that are in terrible situations in homes where people are home all the time...
    ie, chained to a tree, never let in the house, etc. It sounds like you would give this dog all the love he needs!

Quote Originally Posted by chorzel View Post
    A lot of kennels offer "day care" where you can drop the pup off and pick him up, maybe this would be an option?
    Definitely wait till he's a little older though (ask your vet...some point in time after the last round of shots).
    Hope this helps... BTW, there are lots of dogs that are in terrible situations in homes where people are home all the time...
    ie, chained to a tree, never let in the house, etc. It sounds like you would give this dog all the love he needs!
    Thank you. I love all my animals as if they were children. (I don't have children, and may never will). My dog and cats get all the love and attention an animal could ask for, I'm sure. I know I'm gone during the day, but I'd still do anything to make them happy. I'll look into the cost of day care for sure if my family is unable to help out. I worry about strangers watching my dog. I've seen a lot of stuff on facebook about people miscaring for animals. I also worked at a vet clinic once, brought my dog in for wart removal (he was old and cranky) so he he barked at the other dogs. The girl, didn't know he was my dog, grabbed him and threw him into a kennel and told him to shut up. I was really offended. He's just an old man and didn't like other dogs barking at him, no reason to be rough with him. Since then I've been un easy about leaving my dogs with people I don't know. Plus hearing about people getting their dogs groomed at places and having the dog be bloody when they get it back. It scares me. I want my dogs to be treated well. Never hit, or hurt. I would never do that to my dogs. I just find it hard to trust others with them. I trust my dad and my boyfriend 100% with Clover and that's it.

jertom is offline Senior Member

Others would mistreat or be mean to my dog only once.
    I believe in and follow the old adage- "I'll talk with my checkbook".

Thank you. I love all my animals as if they were children. (I don't have children, and may never will). My dog and cats get all the love and attention an animal could ask for, I'm sure. I know I'm gone during the day, but I'd still do anything to make them happy. I'll look into the cost of day care for sure if my family is unable to help out. I worry about strangers watching my dog. I've seen a lot of stuff on facebook about people miscaring for animals. I also worked at a vet clinic once, brought my dog in for wart removal (he was old and cranky) so he he barked at the other dogs. The girl, didn't know he was my dog, grabbed him and threw him into a kennel and told him to shut up. I was really offended. He's just an old man and didn't like other dogs barking at him, no reason to be rough with him. Since then I've been un easy about leaving my dogs with people I don't know. Plus hearing about people getting their dogs groomed at places and having the dog be bloody when they get it back. It scares me. I want my dogs to be treated well. Never hit, or hurt. I would never do that to my dogs. I just find it hard to trust others with them. I trust my dad and my boyfriend 100% with Clover and that's it.

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

I work 12 hour days. I left my pups in the kennel outside for the day until they were 3-4 months, then as the weather got colder I moved them into the crate. I make it home for lunch about half the time, the rest of the time my 6 month old pup is crated 10-12 hours during the day. She can hold her bladder about that long and no more so I'm pretty careful to make it home in the evening.

There's plenty of situations that aren't ideal - no one would have a dog if we waited for the "perfect" situation. However, you may find an older dog - many breeders have an extra pup that didn't find a home early on - is better at this point in your life. The first dog I bought after high school was a 9 month old Aussie my Junior year of college. It worked perfectly; any younger of a dog would have been incredibly difficult to manage.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

Thanks. I'm pretty confident I can make it work with a pup. As you said there is no perfect situation. I've actually been putting off this puppy for a few years now because it wasn't the right time. I feel now is as good as it will ever be. I will always be working there is nothing I can do about that. As of right now I have the support of family to help me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12