1 year old Choc. Lab training problems
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 year old Choc. Lab training problems

JL185 is offline Junior Member

Default1 year old Choc. Lab training problems

Hello all,
    I have a one year old choc lab male that I am having a few problems with hoping someone with more experience can give me some guidance.

So some background 1st, upfront I never trained a retriever before, I had two GSD before this lab. So my lab comes from a pointing Labrador line mother and father are GMHR. Dog has great drive swims and finds birds great..etc

The issues I was having was when I toss the bumper he will chase it dive on it flip over then grab the bumper and run around with it and not bring it back. So i tried fixing this using a check cord and that didnt work he would just get to the bumper spin around get tangled in the cord and lay down and i get annoyed. So thats problem number 1 then a few weeks ago I took him to the field and planted some chucker for him. He was an absolute mad man! I couldnt control him didnt listen to whistle at all! So the breeder recommended I have an obedience problem and I collar condition him so I waited till xmas and got my collar and tried it put it on the lowest setting and worked on heeling with the choke chain and the e collar. I nicked him on the lowest setting and now he he scared to death to heel. I tried heeling him without the e collar even on and he just lays down and rolls over not wanting to do it. So now what? Did i ruin this dog? are these common problems ?I thought the e collar was just what I needed .but think i just made it worse!. I am going nuts bc everyone says start the training session throwing "happy" bumpers but when he doesn't even bring that back what am i suppose to do?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It sounds to me that your dog lacks the basic obedience necessary to understand what you are even asking of him. Does he really understand what "heel" means? Have you TAUGHT the concept? Most of us start having the dog wear the collar (it's off) while the dog is learning. The actual collar use comes AFTER the dog learns the commands, as is appropriately "conditioned" to learn to "turn off" the pressure/ collar. So it is only for compliance, not teaching.

I personally like the Evan Graham SmartWorks/ SmartFetch series as it lays out a program that is easy to follow. The whole FF program assumes a lot of obedience has already been done, the dog has a solid hold, etc. The recall part usually comes first w/ most of the trainers so therefore, the dog really does need to know what the word Come or Here means, and should respond to a whistle come imo as well. I use a lot of reward training from the time mine are babies to teach these concepts.

You may want to get on RTF (retriever training forum) and ask there, but I am pretty sure they will tell you to find a competent pro to work with on this issue. Good luck. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

PS, whoever told you to START with a fun bumper has it backwards! The dog should work first before getting such a treat. With a high drive dog, you may have to be very careful about fun bumper games in general. It sounds to me like your dog is terribly confused now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JL185 is offline Junior Member

Thanks anne thin your right I need to go back to basics with obedience. When you say use alot of reward training do you use treats? I havent used that bc I was told only use praise, but I am thinking that might not be enough with my boy. What do you think i should do with the e collar just have him wear it with it off for a while or just put it on the self for a while. Sorry for all the questions i havent been able to find a good pro in my area yet. Thanks again for the advice

HI sorry for the delay here (I had a surprise early whelping on Saturday / Sunday of *12* puppies 4 days early so may not be on much!).
    Yes, I'd take your pup to a GOOD obedience class that is well structured and balanced training methods. By balanced, that means both reward and correction-- so you send your dog a clear message of what you want. I use a lot of rewards/ treats in training concepts and wean off as quickly as possible, only rewarding "exceptional" work. Right now, you have to regain his confidence, so you will need to start at the beginning to let him know he is doing what you want. He can wear the collar, but it needs to be off until you can find someone experienced to help you read your dog, his readiness for the collar work, and how to do the actual process so the dog knows that electricity isn't just coming randomly from the ground.

If you've not already gotten logged onto RTF, I'd highly suggest it. There may be people in your area there on the board that are willing to help you. Best of luck! Anne

Mistet is offline Junior Member

Does the dog know the game tug? And if so have you played drop it where the game only continues when he lets go? I've played this game with my husky and now he knows I have to have the toy before the game continues. I'm a positive clicker trainer so not a fan of e collars, and if it only makes the dog nervous it might not be the road to go down. So start with tug/drop it, then move to tossing close by till you can achieve the distance you want. Little steps. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread