What is "too much" exercise?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is "too much" exercise?

YellowBoom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat is "too much" exercise?

We usually walk 7 mo old Boomer every day around the block. It is a .6 mi. Sometimes we do it twice. He is usually ready to stop at 2x but wants more after 1x.

The othet day I rodemountain bike and he has trotted along side me. He does very well on a lead like this (and I am an advanced singletrack rider).

Today we went to a local park and he trotted all the way. On the way back I saw he slowed downand and was pooped when we got home. Turns out it was 1.5mi rt.

I realized I may have over did it and feel bad. I know its not good for him and the whole growth plate hip displasia thing.

What is too much and just right amount of exercise?

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Honestly I wouldn't do any biking with him until he's older. Walking around the block a few times should be fine as long as he is able to pace himself and stop here and there, but the continual trotting from biking, especially on a hard surface, should be avoided until his body is more mature.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

A "rule of thumb" that seemed reasonable to me was:

5 minutes of forced exercise per month of age allowed twice a day. Forced being anything on leash, hard surface, straight line, constant pace, and/or. Not to include running and allowances to be made for heat or cold. Free play off leash on soft surfaces (dirt, grass) unlimited since pup can vary time, speed and direction at will and rest as needed.

But I found I did have to impose limits on free play since Mr. Puppy had no idea when to stop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

it's not just a question of how much but WHAT KIND of exercise.

walks are good but not "exercise" at that age. I'd walk a good 30-45 mins with a dog that age (more than once a day if I could) but for EXERCISE off leash free play on preferably a softer surface (grass, dirt, sand) is great. free play is playing with other dogs, smelling and exploring, etc. it can be as long as the dog wants as they can start and stop as they please. Fetching is good but some dogs don't stop cuz they love it so you need to force breaks.

biking or running a dog on pavement can cause damange to their growing joints. Even if they are in shape and physically "able". remember they are still growing, growth plates are not closed yet. Keep to walks and off leash play for exercise.

But yes when you Do start biking make sure to work up to it, especially if the only exercise the dog gets is walks. You need to build up muscle and stamina.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

7 weeks old shouldn't even be away from his mom. and not having shots yet, shouldn't be walking all around the block but in a safe clean area, only.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
    7 weeks old shouldn't even be away from his mom. and not having shots yet, shouldn't be walking all around the block but in a safe clean area, only.
    OP said 7 mo, not weeks.
    I agree w/ Dryfo's response. Off lead on soft ground, w/ free ability to slow down, change pace/ direction etc is fine at that age. I did a little over a mile on lead mostly the other night with my almost 6mo old, accompanied by her almost 12 yo great grandma and that was fine (also on dirt/ grass trail w/ a swim stop at the turn around point). Otherwise mine have 5A to romp on at their pleasure.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

I for one an stumped by this very question.

Yesterday for example Ruby and I went for our off leash forest game trail run.
    It takes about an hour total to complete the circuit.

We came home had dinner and she a short nap and then behaved as if I had never taken her out at all.
    What used to be enough is now never enough.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby No! View Post
    I for one an stumped by this very question.

Yesterday for example Ruby and I went for our off leash forest game trail run.
    It takes about an hour total to complete the circuit.

We came home had dinner and she a short nap and then behaved as if I had never taken her out at all.
    What used to be enough is now never enough.
    Try some work that will make her think. A new trick or increasing ability in obedience or other dog sport. Remember how thinking tired you out at school? Works for most dogs too. (Well it did me. ) All fun exercise can make for a super fit dog most of us simply cannot keep up with. Too, we don't want to exercise our dog to the point it's exhausted the rest of the day. Some get up and go left is good as long as the dog is still controllable.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Totally agree w/ Dog Paddle. You, RubyNo, are just conditioning your lil' missy better than you know!

My Ruby (remember the muddy puppy pics?) is going to be 6mos old tomorrow, and has already completed her first Rally obedience class as of this week. Will compete on Sunday at our lab specialty if I can make it over there and if she isn't in some rotten stage. Obed/ rally and field work are staples here for my pups and I can sure tell when I'm not giving her daily training. Destroyed at least 3 microsprinklers this week already. Sigh.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

mauricio is offline Senior Member

Sorry- misread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast