Toilet training
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toilet training

Sunny2015 is offline Junior Member

DefaultToilet training

Hi from Australia

I have a 5 month old male lab called Sunny and he poops everywhere in my yard. I would like to get him going to the toilet in just one spot. I was wondering if setting up a puppy pad in one spot and getting him to go there and then eventually taking it away would work? He is a destructive boy and anything i leave outside he destroys... so i am not even sure this will work.

He is outside most of the time, and comes inside to snuggle on the couch/hang out and sometimes sleeps inside next to my bed. So if anyone has any other suggestions, i'd love to hear them. It's hard picking up the poop when its spread all across the yard.

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

I have the same problem. I have an adopted 2 year old dog, he would just poo and pee everywhere. I don't know how to train to poo and pee outside. Some advise please!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Begin by taking him out in the morning to the place you want him to potty. I have a field... and an area w/ bark mulch which I use w/ the younger ones. After awhile, they figure out where I want them to go (not in the yard!), but it takes diligence on your part. I potty train my litters to a pellet pool, so often send home some of that material w/ pup owners to spread where they want puppy to potty. I normally suggest the area be under a pine tree etc, where grass doesn't want to grow anyhow.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

agree with the above, if you want them pooping in a spot take them out there on leash when they "should" need to go. I prefer mine to poop on walks to keep the yard clean

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rupertsilva10 View Post
    I have the same problem. I have an adopted 2 year old dog, he would just poo and pee everywhere. I don't know how to train to poo and pee outside. Some advise please!
    You need to train the dog as though they were a puppy. They should have limited movement in the house (either use closed doors or baby gates or tether them to you on a leash) so that they are with you at all times. Crate them if you cannot supervise.

Go outside OFTEN, reward big big big time and praise and treat when they go outside.

Clean all accidents in the house with an appropriate odour neutralizing product (household cleaners do not work).

Accidents happen when humans are not paying attention. You have to be on the ball when the dog is loose. Crate train them and keep them in the crate when you are out of the house or cannot supervise directly.

theiss is offline Junior Member

I agree with Dryfo - you should treat him like a puppy.

I got my puppy when she's 10wks old.
    She came already semi-crate trained. At the time she still had accidents in her crate in the night.
    I took her out to the yard often to relieve herself, and everytime I took her out, I put the leash on her and lead her to the area where I wanted her to eliminate.
    I did this for over 10 days, I don't exactly remember.
    She's 15 weeks now and she now eliminates in that same general area, although sometimes I catch her trying to eliminate in the middle of the yard - which I scold her for it and try to catch her collar and lead her to the general area.
    I keep my puppy indoors at night - there are black bears in my area especially during spring/summer season.
    And she's been trained to ring the bell to signal that she needs to go outside to eliminate at night.
    I still don't take a chance at night and always put the leash on her and lead her to the general area.
    I think repetition works best.

Hope that Helps.

T

markcerv is offline Junior Member

DefaultTell us more about the bell ringing to go potty!

And she's been trained to ring the bell to signal that she needs to go outside to eliminate at night.
    OK. That got me intrigued. How exactly did you accomplish this? (besides repetition and treat giving)

jertom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by markcerv View Post
    OK. That got me intrigued. How exactly did you accomplish this? (besides repetition and treat giving)
    you ring the bell every time you take the dog out,
    I got one for Rocky, he thought it was silly and wouldn't use it, he let's me ring it.
    for sale: dog bell, like new.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

If the dog is outside most of the time, I think you'll find it harder to teach them to potty in one spot.

theiss is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by markcerv View Post
    From my experience,
    1. I trained my lab to "touch" my open palm - this was in the obedience/agility class I attended.
    2. I trained my lab to "touch" the bear bell (it's a bell that you carry to "scare off" the bear while hiking).
    3. I hung the bear bell at her crate door, and every morning when I led her to her potty spot, I ask her to "ring the bell" (that is the term I use instead of using "touch"). She didn't get it at first, but eventually she understood that she needs to ring the bell to be let out of her crate to eliminate.
    4. I have two bells now, one at the crate door and another at the door. She rings the bell if she wants to be let out of her crate - to do anything in the house. And she rings the bell at the door to be let out in the yard (usually to eliminate, but sometimes because she just wanted to be let out in the yard. Her dog bones are outside, and she'll chew on them for 15-20 min before she'll come right back inside).

patience and repetition when training the pup; Start out slow.
    Even when she "nudge" at the bell and the bell didn't ring loudly, I let her out of the crate and straight to the potty spot.
    When I did it, I got to teach her the specific spot I wanted her to go, and to let me know when she needed to go.

Hope that helps.

T

+ Reply to Thread