nipping puppy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nipping puppy

Winston5614 is offline Junior Member

Defaultnipping puppy

Any ideas on how to get a 11 week old lab to stop nipping [biting] hands, arms, legs of chairs, etc. ?

Or, is it just the normal teething process? If i put a nylabone in his mouth he'll focus on that for a while, but if a hand is near his mouth he'll generally take a shot at it.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

very normal. keep trading. see the "our best advice" thread for more tips on nipping.

i highly recommend a puppy class for you and the puppy, this is one of the issues discussed if it's a good class.

Winston5614 is offline Junior Member

Thanks Dryfo.

He is scheduled to start puppy classes next Thursday, June 11 [for 6 weeks]. I also have him starting an additional class [8 weeks] the first week of July.

Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Puppies nip, google training methods and work through it. There is no magic about it.

sheila512 is offline Junior Member

Just takes time. My pup is 6 months old now but when we got her at 8 weeks old she was a biting machine. Those sharp puppy teeth drew blood a few times. She was literally the cutest thing in the world but you could not pet her unless she was sleeping. My daughter got the worst of it. She actually started to dislike the puppy! But then it was over. Find some good chewy treats. My pup loves bully sticks but they smell so bad I stopped buying them. However when she was in her super bitey phase I put up with the smell! Now she loves those Himalayan dog chews.
    It will pass eventually-good luck!

jacob21 is offline Junior Member

Whenever he's biting you, you can pinch him at his withers similar to what their mothers do.

You need to do this as soon as he thinks of biting you. You must be patient because it takes time for him to learn.

TT120 is offline Junior Member

Milo was a biting machine too. My arms and hands were torn up for a while. I had to do a lot of trading with bones and chews and of course, I yelped and withdrew my hands and stopped playing with him for a minute when he hurt me. He got the message and started to calm down. Once his adult teeth came in, the wounds on my arms healed up and he doesn't bite anymore. Now he just mouths me a little without hurting me.

+ Reply to Thread