Puppy Food Suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food Suggestions?

ARS1985 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Food Suggestions?

My husband and I will be getting our 2 month chocolate lab puppy on Saturday and we have been trying to research the best foods for her. The breeder said she is currently feeding her SportMix. We plan to buy some of this to at least start with and then slowly introduce her to another food. I've read both good and bad about SportMix. Does anyone have any good suggestions that worked for their lab? I've seen good things about Orijen and Royal Canin but they are more expensive. We are willing to pay the higher cost if they actually are better for her. Any input or advice is appreciated!

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I've had the best results with Pro Plan puppy.

ARS1985 is offline Junior Member

Awesome, Thank you!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lovingly1 is offline Member

After some purchases that we later regretted, found the food had eggs in it... we settled on Wellness for now. She does seem to be slightly constipated but we are encouraging more water. Probably due to food change.

We'll watch her carefully. Meanwhile trying to find a thread to ask a question about the TICK we found on our yellow lab puppy. She's so young. Is there a product that we can safely introduce here? It was warm Sunday and she got the tick while outside doing her business. She went from grassy spot to grassy spot of course... We saw no others on her but we worry about the tiniest ones that are hardest to see. So far no symptoms, and no other ticks.

jertom is offline Senior Member

You should feed a puppy food, which is lower in protein, what brand is up to you. I settled on Orijen.
    Do a search here, much has been discussed on this topic.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

My labs have always done great on ProPlan puppy and later ProPlan Sport.

Mistet is offline Junior Member

We feed our dogs Natural Balance because the meat comes from New Zealand and it's just better quality protein.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Ruby gets Canidae - lamb and rice. 1 1/2 cups morning and night.
    When she was a pup, 1 cup

She's lean enough, very shiny black coat and spunky.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

lovingly1 is offline Member

Thanks so much everybody for those great suggestions. They sell almost all of these varieties at local stores. We liked the Wellness based on the amounts of key ingredients. Will look into the others suggested though.

Agreed on the lower protein. That is another thing we liked about Wellness. At 28% protein it is lower than Merrick at 30% though not by that much. Complete Health Puppy Deboned Chicken, Oatmeal & Salmon Meal The company guarantees its analysis and ingredients. We like that though we shall see over time how we do. She adjusted to it well in terms of how she is doing with her uh ins and outs.. We like the idea of Oatmeal as a grain given that they use deboned chicken and whitefish as well as salmon meal. We knew the name from feeding rescued cats in the neighborhood. They did well on it and kittens got a good start.

Puppy | Orijen We decided not to give her the Merrick we purchased after learning that it has eggs in it. Orjen also does so we will pass on that one for now, but thanks. It's probably just a needless worry but we'd rather not have it. Want to know for sure that if the puppy has symptoms its probably not her food and some issue with eggs. Who knows if this is really important. Just a peace of mind thing for us.

So far so good. She is typical 8 week plus dog, follows well, runs her heart out to return to us outside, loves praise, and stands stretched out when curious like a Labrador, pretty as a picture. We are having a great time with her and facing the usual baby dog issues with the grabbies, the wiggles, and the ooopsies. A series of snow storms has been undermining best laid plans for her house training. Sooooo glad we bought a cage and a puppy 'play' pen for indoors. Place puppy in one while cleaning other, avoid the grabbies altogether. What a funny little thing. She loves her toys so very much and most especially a pillow we had for years that had never really been used. It's abouot six inches by four inches and made of tough material that she won't be able to tear until she gets older. She sleeps holding it, head on it, etc. Got to get our camera set up so we can capture this very sweet behavior.

jertom is offline Senior Member

some, like me, research over and over to find the best food for our pup, then they go outside; eat horse manure and drink from a month old water puddle.
    tick? I would do nothing or check with the vet, doubt any of the tick meds are recommended for a pup that young.
    Rocky has a squeaky toy he got when he first came home, been thru the washer many times, still hanging in there.
    good luck,
    picture?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast