Puppy Food Suggestions? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy Food Suggestions?

lovingly1 is offline Member

Puddles, piles of grass dug up by the snow plow, dirt, soggy brown leaves, yes she has a varied diet but she is a taster. She kindly drops stuff most of the time.

Thanks re tick, its upsetting. We know what Lyme can do and actually one of our dogs was diagnosed with anaplasmosis at one point. He was ok but we learned how serious it can be.

One thing that I've wanted to ask about re food. I read somewhere that the manufacturers of dog food over estimate the amount of food that a puppy should get. He said cut that back as its always too high. We had a big German Shepherd, the older genetics, about 110 lbs and big boned. When he was about a year old he had a problem with too much protein and suffered a mild limp. Fortunately it was temporary. His breeder said we should mix the high test food, the expensive variety, with a lesser quality food with less protein. We cut the dog back and he felt better almost immediately. So the question of over feeding is very serious.

Our puppy was just over 10 lbs when we brought him home about eight days ago. We've transitioned him to Wellness but note that the formulation calls for less food, 1 1/2 cups per day. We break it into three feedings. Should we reduce this? All thoughts appreciated.

Want to protect him from dysplasia and/or ACL injury.

jertom is offline Senior Member

here's what I read before Rocky came home: feed him all he'll eat in 15-20 minutes twice a day, then pick it up. (I save it for next meal)
    perhaps I've just been lucky but it's worked for me. I've heard some say their lab won't stop eating.
    I watch his weight and ask the vets opinion every time we're there.
    Rocky also gets people food (in moderation) with his dog food; chicken,pork, beef, oatmeal, waffles, whatever I'm eating. If he doesn't want it, he'll leave it. (eggs, green beans)
    certainly not saying anyone should do that as it tends to spoil them.
    dysplasia/acl?
    what's this?
    are you worried about your puppy eating too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingly1 View Post
    Puddles, piles of grass dug up by the snow plow, dirt, soggy brown leaves, yes she has a varied diet but she is a taster. She kindly drops stuff most of the time.

Thanks re tick, its upsetting. We know what Lyme can do and actually one of our dogs was diagnosed with anaplasmosis at one point. He was ok but we learned how serious it can be.

One thing that I've wanted to ask about re food. I read somewhere that the manufacturers of dog food over estimate the amount of food that a puppy should get. He said cut that back as its always too high. We had a big German Shepherd, the older genetics, about 110 lbs and big boned. When he was about a year old he had a problem with too much protein and suffered a mild limp. Fortunately it was temporary. His breeder said we should mix the high test food, the expensive variety, with a lesser quality food with less protein. We cut the dog back and he felt better almost immediately. So the question of over feeding is very serious.

Our puppy was just over 10 lbs when we brought him home about eight days ago. We've transitioned him to Wellness but note that the formulation calls for less food, 1 1/2 cups per day. We break it into three feedings. Should we reduce this? All thoughts appreciated.

Want to protect him from dysplasia and/or ACL injury.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12