Need ALOT of help...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ALOT of help...

AshleyLivinLife is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed ALOT of help...

I recently got my first dog (at 35 yrs old lol) and she is a 3 yr old purebred brindle lab we were told (waiting on papers, got her from a friend and from all the pictures I looked up on brindle labs she seems to be genuine). We were also told she was walked often, well trained, knew her basic commands, etc. So here is my problem: she doesnt walk well on a collar or harness and pulls ALOT, she IS house broken which is a plus but as far as commands she listens to sit (when she feels like it or knows she will get time out usually) but not much else. To call her to you it usually takes a few times and in a harsh manner. She is pretty hyper (especially compared to our 14 yr old English black lab who is so chill and well mannered). She only seems to listen to commands if a treat is involved and I know that is NO WAY to train a dog by bribing them. She steals food if you are not watching it very closely but is fed regularly. So here is what I need advice on: how do I RE-TRAIN a 3 yr old dog who obviously either wasnt trained properly or not efficiently enough? I am trying to be the main trainer as she is my dog. We walk both dogs everyday and it is a struggle and almost more hassle. Can I get a 3 yr old used to walking on a leash without pulling? How can I get her to settle down some? Honestly I have seen 6 month old pups not as hyper lol. And how can I get her to stop stealing food or begging every time we eat? Any and ALL advice would be appreciated and tried (unless its something that is going to cost us alot of money). One last thing... what is a clicker for exactly? Thanks in advance for any helpas I am a new dog owner and new to this site :-)

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

replied in your other post - there is really too much to adequately cover here. you really should get a trainer that can show you in person and help you. Either find a basic obedience class and sign up or try a few sessions with a trainer at home to get you started.

That I can not afford. That is why I need help or opinions from people that have been in my shoes. I am trying everything just about that I have read but still have plenty more researching and trial and errors to work out. Thanks for the advice tho. ;-) She is starting to get the hang of some things already pretty good. :-D

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Cesar Milan demonstrated a cinch leash that is of soft cloth rope and you slip it over your pup's head and cinch it up high just behind the ears for control.
    Then you hold the leash taught and VERY short so the dog has little choice but to heal.

This will at least get your dignity back when walking with a dog and over time your dog is supposed to get it.
    It takes a bit of muscle power to keep a spirited dog close to you this way but all the while walk confidently and be the calm assertive pack leader.

You get the leashes at major pet stores and I'm not certain it's actually called a cinch collar. It was like $12,00

I can walk Ruby around town this way now.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Thank you Ruby No! I will definitely check our local pet stores (I do not live in a large city with many pet stores, only 2 actually besides walmart) and if reasonably priced I will definitely pick one up and give it a try. Besides a regular collar or harness I have only heard of choke collars and the pronged ones and sorry I do not agree with either of them and she does about the same whether its the collar or harness but seems to prefer and can control slightly better on the collar. And I thought with the harness that it was supposed to be easier to control her but doesnt seem like it. But I for sure will try your idea which is more humane than the other alternative "collars". Thanks again for the advice and I will let you know how it works :-)
    Ashley LivinLife

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

As a first time dog owner, You'll probably have a lot of problems if you aren't willing to give other training ways a try. Prong collars work very well on labs. A slip lead isn't going to help a dog that needs to be trained. Open your mind and be winning to try what works. You might only need a prong collar for a few weeks. You never know how smart your dog is until you start training.

And training with food is not bribery. It's positive reinforcement and it works. You eventually wean off the treats, but to start they are perfectly fine to use.

Prong collars are not a bad thing for a lab. Yo can run them over with a truck and they won't hold it against you.
    Ruby was ok to pretty good on a prong collar. All labs are different, some I know are so docile and comatose. Mine is a high energy, free spirited, wild child.
    Has been since we brought her home at 8 weeks. She does nothing slowly and deliberately. The slip leash makes her pretty much shut down and walk.

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Well I thank both of you for the advice. I am going to check out a slip collar and prong collars that both of you have suggested and see how they work. Last night she jumped up on a complete stranger who got very upset and I do not want that to happen again cuz the next person may not be so understanding. I AM willing to try anything anyone with experience has to offer. I have one 14 yr old lab who is very mellow and docile and my 3 yr old who needs alot of work that I am more than willing to put into her :-) any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you again!!
    Ashley LivinLife

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Jumping up on a stranger means you weren't 100% aware of what was going on and didn't prevent the behavior soon enough.

Oooh you have a Ruby clone! Best of fortunes with that.

Ruby did that to a tourist jogger on a forest trail last year. I thought Ruby and I were done for.

I have no recall of her unless I have a pocket full of dog snacks. And yell "Scooby Snack!".
    She will come back from just about anything.

Thank God they are hard wired to eat eat eat or 1/2 the labs in this world would be long gone.

A guy told me at my shop last month, "Oh I've always had labs, they are the best dogs ever. They are the worst puppies though, but at age 2, a switch goes off in their brains and the become just the good dogs they are. If you can get to 2 years without killing them then you will have your shop dog you wanted."

Ruby Dooble is 1 year and 10 months....................

Diet:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast