9 week old puppy, is this food okay for her?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old puppy, is this food okay for her?

Tiffxny is offline Junior Member

Default9 week old puppy, is this food okay for her?

I've heard alot of different "opinions" on social media sites.
    Thought i'd ask here.

I'm feeding my male chocolate lab 1/4 cup - Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Chicken & Rice Formula 3 times a day.
    He looked a little chunky when we first got him, should i be feeding him more per serving? He devours it and constantly looks for more.

ZtngN0T.jpg
    TeVXFuL.jpg

If they are small here is direct links
    Imgur
    Imgur

CallieAndKing is offline Member

Our ten week old yellow girl is on the same food and we feed her about 2 cups a day…spread out to three meals plus a kong or two (I measure out the two cups and put it in a sandwich bag every day so that I don't overfeed her). The bag says to feed 1 2/3's cup per day but I feel that that is too little food having raised several labs over my lifetime.

There are visual gages you can use to determine if your puppy is her/his ideal weight…you should be able to see the ribs but not feel them and you should be able to "see" a waist….that waist will appear very skinny when the puppy is drinking water.

As for the weight, the rule of thumb is 2 lbs per week of life, so a 9 week old lab puppy would on average weigh about 18 lbs but this is different for each puppy. Our 6 month old chocolate girl was 19 lbs at 9 weeks and our yellow was 15.4 lbs at 9 weeks; our 22 month old black boy was 26 lbs at 10 weeks.

You could also check with your breeder to see what she recommends; many breeders have their puppies eating as much as 3 cups a day at 8 weeks old while others have them eating less.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I aim for 3/4 to 1 cup per meal, 3 times a day. At 1/4 cup a meal, my guess is you are severely underfeeding your pup.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Agree with Yellowbelly!!!! Mine are usually at 2.25-2.5 C per day total when they leave here at 8 wks and that quantity goes up quickly! Please feed your puppy more as you will compromise his immune system.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jertom is offline Senior Member

are you sure that's not; "
    should be able to feel ribs but not see them"? I agree with being able to see a waist.
    Quote Originally Posted by CallieAndKing View Post
    Our ten week old yellow girl is on the same food and we feed her about 2 cups a day…spread out to three meals plus a kong or two (I measure out the two cups and put it in a sandwich bag every day so that I don't overfeed her). The bag says to feed 1 2/3's cup per day but I feel that that is too little food having raised several labs over my lifetime.

There are visual gages you can use to determine if your puppy is her/his ideal weight…you should be able to see the ribs but not feel them and you should be able to "see" a waist….that waist will appear very skinny when the puppy is drinking water.

As for the weight, the rule of thumb is 2 lbs per week of life, so a 9 week old lab puppy would on average weigh about 18 lbs but this is different for each puppy. Our 6 month old chocolate girl was 19 lbs at 9 weeks and our yellow was 15.4 lbs at 9 weeks; our 22 month old black boy was 26 lbs at 10 weeks.

You could also check with your breeder to see what she recommends; many breeders have their puppies eating as much as 3 cups a day at 8 weeks old while others have them eating less.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Puppies are allowed to eat. You don't need to constantly watch their weight and measure the fat on their ribs or their waist. They grow like weeds and need plenty of food to grow properly. You don't want them overweight and prone to injuries and joint issues, but that doesn't mean monitoring every piece of kibble. Round the scoop up, round the scoop down when necessary. Let them be pudgy for a few days, and then when they shoot up, they aren't bone thin.

I agree with yellowbelly.
    here's what I read before Rocky came home: feed them 3 times a day all they'll eat in 15-20 minutes (they'll walk away from the bowl) then pick it up till next meal.
    Rocky is now 5 months old and down to 2 meals a day, this morning he didn't want breakfast, I'm not worried, he likes big dinners.
    aren't all puppies pudgy?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    Puppies are allowed to eat. You don't need to constantly watch their weight and measure the fat on their ribs or their waist. They grow like weeds and need plenty of food to grow properly. You don't want them overweight and prone to injuries and joint issues, but that doesn't mean monitoring every piece of kibble. Round the scoop up, round the scoop down when necessary. Let them be pudgy for a few days, and then when they shoot up, they aren't bone thin.

P.S. he's a cutie. looks a little bit like Rocky.

Yes…thanks for catching that…!

I've never had one of our Labs walk away from a bowl after the first week in the home which is one reason I am a measuring fool when it comes to each dog's daily rations. With five dogs, three cats and chickens, I have to watch every morsel that goes into a bowl to ensure that there is no overfeeding - once one has had an overweight lab and worked to get the extra weight off their bones, one learns to avoid that situation again. Our labs will steal cat food and chicken food immediately after finishing their rations if they can get to it; the majority of Labs EAT a lot more than they need…and will eat until they make themselves sick, it's that simple. It's why you can see so many overweight labs out there.

Kona is a food thief (7 months); she will scarf her food down and race to Callie's bowl to scarf hers down. Since I work with each one to avoid food protection issues as puppies, Callie and Angus just share their bowl with her and give her no correction. We have been working on Kona's thievery for months and only over the last two days has it finally clicked with her that she is to stay put at her bowl until every one else has finished theirs. I still have to stand right there as a reminder but will work on moving away from her over the next few days. 11 week old Dreama is still being fed in her ex-pen outside until Kona has this issue mastered.

Back to the original topic, I hope that you have found the right amount for your puppy - each puppy is different as is each household. You want to feed the amount that keeps your puppy from being constantly hungry, but not so much that they gain weight too fast for their growing bones. Dreama is now doing well on 2.5 cups per day and has put on just at 2 lbs per week since 8 weeks of age.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast