9 week old puppy, is this food okay for her? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old puppy, is this food okay for her?

Emsdad is offline Junior Member

I fed my girl Acana Large Breed Puppy until she was 1 and fed the amount it said on the bag. She had great proportions and didn't get overweight, as Labs are prone to. Good quality food too.

just exhibit love is offline Junior Member

HI Tiffnxy

my lab puppy is now 4 months old and she jumps in that food like there is no tomorrow..I feed her 3 times a day..and she is up to 2 cups of food at each meal..and I give her purina puppy chow complete the blue bag..that is what the breeder requested I feed her..and she loves it...and she is growing and seems happy..she tells me how much she needs to eat as she cries when she is hungry..and if I mention the word meal..she follows me til I feed her..she makes me smile..and she drinks so much water I cannot believe it..the vet said this is all normal..but this I know for sure food motivates her..

Namaste

Emsdad is offline Junior Member

I would never feed a lab as much as they want. Leave the bag of food within reach and you will have a vet visit on your hands. They are one of the most voracious feeders out there and will eat whatever is put out for them. Always use a measure to keep them at their best/healthiest.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jimp is offline Member

I fed my 5 month old yellow lab Canidae life stages. That is what the breeder always used so I stuck with it. Any one else use this food and is it good Quality dog food?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Jimp, I have fed Canidae ALS successfully to my adults (over 12 mos) for at least 15 yrs now, but did NOT like how my puppies grew on it the one time I tried it. It is far too high in calcium for my lines. I saw knuckling over (bones growing faster than the connective tissues could support) by 5.5 wks old, and had to switch back to my tried and true food (Eukanuba Lg Breed puppy). Funny thing, I have a litter right now at 5 wks who I started out on the weaning formula (Euk small breed puppy). I started mixing in the large breed today to get them transitioned to lower calcium within in the next few days. I've done this for years now w/ great success. My youngest pup (the one on the platform in my sig photo) will turn 12 mos on the 20th and I'll start transitioning her to Canidae after that. She, like my others, has grown so nice and uniformly. I do hope she continues to grow for a few months though as she's a bit of a shrimp still, but I sure like her!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jertom is offline Senior Member

gee-whiz, shouldn't some common sense rule? if your puppy will eat a whole bag of food and has a hard time walking because his belly hits the ground, then you should do something different. I referenced what I read and it has worked for me. Rocky is 5 months old now, 47 lbs., all the folks at the vet said he looks fine and I've noticed as he getting taller he's losing the belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Emsdad View Post
    I would never feed a lab as much as they want. Leave the bag of food within reach and you will have a vet visit on your hands. They are one of the most voracious feeders out there and will eat whatever is put out for them. Always use a measure to keep them at their best/healthiest.

jimp is offline Member

Thanks windycanyon for the input. Should I be concerned that this is all he has had since I have had him. When you talk about bone developent can this be recognized visually? Will the bone growth to their head be affected also or just joints?

jimp is offline Member

What is the sig photo and how do I veiw it. I would love to see your pup.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

jimp, it's that little photo that shows up under my post.

Typically what I have seen w/ my lines is knuckling over when they are growing too fast, out of sync. I always worry about joints since you really want slow/ uniform growth ideally. I had one girl back in the 90's who grew so fast, it was very obvious to me at 4mos that she was going to have issues and sure enough, her hips were not good when xrayed at ~2 yrs old.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jimp is offline Member

Thanks for the info good to know. Btw I also grew up on an apple farm in vermont. We had a black lab named Lucy. She was an awsome dog so loving and well behaved. That is how I fell in love with the breed. I can't tell you how many apples she picked of the trees. All you had to say is the word apple and she would run out into the orchard and jump to pick one off. The higher up the apple the better it was for her lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast