teenage puppy behavior
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: teenage puppy behavior

trigaron93 is offline Junior Member

Defaultteenage puppy behavior

Our now almost 18 week old puppy has entered the adolescent phase, and with it, some new challenges. He is suddenly reluctant to go into his crate, which he has always loved. Last night, he barked and barked after getting into the crate. I took him back outside where he proceeded to try to eat everything on the ground (normal behavior for him). I brought him back in and put him in his downstairs crate and never heard another sound from him so he spent his first night away from us.
    Any advice on getting a reluctant puppy into their crate? And how about calming down the barking? He has been doing that a lot more too. Anything else we should look for, besides the new (less sharp!) teeth?
    Thanks in advance.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Give him a cookie when he goes in and then close the door. You can put a sheet over the crate if the pup barks too much.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

as a heads up, 18 weeks is still very much PUPPPY and not teenager

Just keep making the crate a good place. He may just be predicting that crate = boring time alone. ALWAYS make the crate fun. Go back to some crate desensitization (feed him in the crate, randomly throw high valu treats in) and always give him something yummy in the crate. If you google crate games you will find some free online videos from susan garett (well not HER videos but some made by others with her info) that will show you how to add value to the crate and make it a fun place again.

Also and I am just barely remembering the details here, there is a learning thing. 5 weeks I think - where it goes from short term to long term memory and there can be a "gap" in the "knowing" at that phase.

Training is not a straight road. They will learn, then take a step back. you will go thru many many steps forward and steps back. Be patient and just take a step back in difficulty and start over (it will be faster the second and third time around!)

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

trigaron93 is offline Junior Member

LOL...you are definitely right. Not a teenager, more like a teething baby. Thanks for the recommendations and the insight into the long term/short term memory learning. This is definitely a long, winding road. Two steps foward, one step back but it is (I think) getting easier.

+ Reply to Thread