Am I just getting lucky or is my dog messing with me?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I just getting lucky or is my dog messing with me?

beth101509 is offline Member

CoolAm I just getting lucky or is my dog messing with me?

I have read from several different websites and from these forums that labs are crazy insane until about 2 years old. I know each dog is an individual but I have a 10 week old yellow male lab and he is pretty calm (I have had him for almost 2 weeks now). I am just wondering if he is messing with me and when I least expect it, he will become a tornado of energy or did I just get lucky?

The breeder said his parents are both laidback and calm so I am sure he has it in him to be a chill dog. I take him to work with me most of the day and he will sleep while we are there. He does have his bursts of energy but they don't last more than 30 minutes at a time (he has about 3 a day). He isn't much of a talker (yay!). I have read that dogs in the show lines are more laidback and relaxed (which is what he is) but I just keep waiting for the insanity to begin.

Will it?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

If the parents and lines are laid back, chances are good that your well adjusted puppy will be too. My 8 mo old is the one who surprises me. Her mom is a real go getter... 1/2 field, 1/2 show/performance lines and her dad is a MH from CH/MH lineage. Kanzi is so easy relative to most other pups I've ever raised from similar breedings (and her littermates), but I knew she was the calmest and maybe not the most confident pup of her litter when I was raising them too. Oh, she has her moments, but she's truly an enjoyable pup. Sounds to me like you got lucky! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

beth101509 is offline Member

I will take luck. LOL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BirdMan is offline Member

My pup is a year and a half and he's been awesome since day one. I chalk it up to doing my research, having a superb breeder, and having some experience under my belt with my 4 year old. I certainly got very lucky finding my breeder but everything else is truly the results of a lot of hard work.

Don't be too quick to assume the worst. I bet you've just got a really great pup!

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Could be luck.

but I also totally agree with windy canyon. this is where picking a breeder and litter can make a HUGE difference. a lab is not a lab no matter what, it all depends on their lines and how the breeder is planning (or not) their litters.

You have had the puppy a week though right? maybe 2? The puppy may just be settling in and a bit unsure (even if they seem "comfortable"). Be happy with it and set them up for success as they are on the right path but be prepared that the puppy may change as they get older and more confident. The needs of a 10 week old puppy are different that 6-7 months.

I think the fact you bring him to work probably helps a great deal, he is engaged and busy all day with short breaks in the crate, that's really ideal.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

At the Place where we work is a thrift store within a tennis ball throw of our front door.
    Our Black who comes to work with us is naughty enough to warrant a username that I chose.
    The thrift store has a chocolate male that is just 4 or 6 months older than Ruby is docile like an 11 year old and has been since I can remember.
    When people come to the thrift store Abe will just thump his tail as customers pass by him to enter or leave. Toddlers too.
    Ruby has us on Red Alert all the time as she is of the mind that all people are playmates. She is approaching 70 lbs.

It's just not fair I tell ya! :-)

Maybe you have a dog like Abe.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Mine (now 12 months) is from show lines and also pretty mellow. Sure she has plenty of energy when the occasion arises (free play with another dog, playing fetch, swimming, etc.), but couch potato is her norm. Even at her most riled up, she has never mouthed on any human. She also is very quiet and has only let out a bark a couple of times, never growls in play, doesn't whine when breakfast is late, etc. I attribute this to genetics, a good early start in life (i.e. breeder did proper early socialization), and some training/socializing on my part (puppy class, basic obedience, the occasional show). Imo, this is what proper lab temperament should be and is the reason the breed is so capable of a variety of things, such as service, therapy, bomb and drug sniffing, companion, hunting, etc. (even in a hunting situation, it's a lot of waiting around)

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

I agree that the parents' traits are a huge contribution to the dog's overall traits. We had dogs (of different breeds) whose traits are mostly similar to that of their parent/s. I have 2 dogs and they are mostly calm. I must say that their parents are well-mannered and gentle too.

duftepuppe1 is offline Junior Member

Ours loves socks, any kind, has ingested many a paper towel, kleenex tissues, toilet paper, cat food is a specialty, he loves cheese, green beans, you name it, he eats it....typical Lab.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Ruby's "adult switches" in her brain are beginning to fire. In many ways. I won't bore you with the details but it's eye popping.
    We still have a long way to go but it's working! She just turned 1.5 years old yesterday.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast