walking, not happening
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: walking, not happening

trigaron93 is offline Junior Member

Defaultwalking, not happening

No idea how to handle this. Our 8 week old puppy is awesome but we are having trouble getting him off the porch to walk, and then to keep him walking. Leash, collar, us? Thoughts.
    other issue, nipping/biting. No bite, redirect sort of works but he sometimes thinks our clothes are part of the toy.
    Thanks.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

puppies that age nip and bite. you can try a louder NO BITE and exchange your finger or toe for a toy.

also, don't know where you are walking this 8 week old, but he shouldn't be off your property, near where any other animals have been.
    leash, with treats, as bait, and nice "good puppy" when he does what he is supposed to.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

at 8 weeks they should just be puttering around the yard anyway. read up on safe socialization, puppies are VERY VERY vulnerable to catching all kinds of deadly illnesses until they have had all their shots. Socialization is very important but be smart about where you bring him.

let him get used to the collar and to dragging the leash. some people use a metal leash (not collar, just leash) as it's less fun to chew on. if you let puppy drag the leash supervise carefully so they don't get tangled.

I HIGHLY recommend puppy classes ASAP for safe tips and tricks for puppy and crucial socialization in safe environment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It is doubtful that most of our pups that age have any concept of what a "walk" is. Why is this collar on me? Why is this person dragging me around??

They need to be introduced to all that. They need to be *trained*. As above, let the pup drag the leash around a bit. I don't mind if they want to carry the end of their leash if that makes them happy early on (and I do competitive obed work-- it's not a big deal if they mouth their leash as babies-- make them HAPPY to be on the darned thing!). Use a treat and lure them at heel. Treat for correct position.

And Yes, get to a class! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

trigaron93 is offline Junior Member

Original Poster here. Thanks for the feedback. We are keeping him inside our yard and the walk way in front of. We have also started carrying him out the door and placing him on the lawn and that seems to help. There is no way to keep him completely away from other animals since we live in the woods and deer, foxes, raccoons, etc. are always wandering through but we are trying to be as vigilant as possible. We will definitely all go to obedience school, as soon as he is vaccinated. Thanks again.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

puppy classes are for puppies that don't have all their shots which is when CRUCIAL socialization window is open (it closes at 12-16 weeks). PLease see if there are any PUPPY CLASSES for puppies as young as 10 weeks in your area.

If you live rurally makes use to set up play dates with known dogs in safe areas (friends yard, have them over). ensure dogs are VERY FRIENDLY and fully vaccinated. don't wait until he is 4 months to socialize.

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

We don't put a collar and leash on our puppies. We simply let them run around our backyard and play with each other. With biting, it's normal for puppies. Do you have toys for them? I recommend buying them toys they can chew instead of letting them bite and chew on your clothes.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

I have had problems with Ruby biting her leash and holding it as we walk.
    As I was at my wits end I got a metal stainless steel leash. She doesn't bite that nor does she jump to grab it either.

We have other issues on our walks but this solved that little problem.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

+ Reply to Thread