Anyone here raised a lab puppy while working full time
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here raised a lab puppy while working full time

nighthawk is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnyone here raised a lab puppy while working full time

I am seeking a lab puppy. My wife and I both work full time. I am concerned the long period while the puppy home alone. I thing hiring a day walker could help.
    Had anyone here done this before. Please share the experience,
    Thx!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I think it's difficult for everyone involved. I'd be inclined to look for an older dog, already trained, who doesn't mind being home alone for hours. A puppy is not going to be happy.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

I work part time and my husband works full time. We have two children still at home and two out of the home. Even with all of us on board (even the ones who don't live with us) it's hard.

We got Piper at six weeks. I took roughly a week off of work and then used my older children to help out. Piper turned one in September and I still get the working Mom guilt. I think it can be done but you need help and the ability to be creative with the hours in the day. The last year my family has pretty much devoted our free time to Piper. Even then I still get working Mom guilt. On my days off, she is pretty much with me all the time. I take her to the dog park in the morning and then she comes on errands with me.

If I had to manage the last year without the help of kids and a full time job I don't know if I could have done it. I also think an older dog might work better. It's just that puppies need so much that first year to make the other years good, ya know??

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

We both work full time, but I was able to leave later in the morning than hubby, and we also had someone come out and feed her lunch and play with her. So she basically was left about 9:30 when I left for work until noon, then from 1:00 until around 3:30 when hubby got home. I also took her to ride in the car when I dropped my kids off at school, puppy class, and other socializing (came with me when I visited my sister's house and things like that). We also didn't go out much in the evenings, so she had that time with us as well. In short, it's do-able but takes a bit of effort to make sure the pup's physical, social, and mental needs are being met.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Yep. But you ABSOLUTELY need a mid-day break plan for many months. a dog walker is a good option but it is expensive. If you can't wing it or find a trusteed friend and you can't get home then a puppy is NOT the way to go, but there are tons of slightly older dogs that could be a great fit.

nighthawk is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
    We both work full time, but I was able to leave later in the morning than hubby, and we also had someone come out and feed her lunch and play with her. So she basically was left about 9:30 when I left for work until noon, then from 1:00 until around 3:30 when hubby got home. I also took her to ride in the car when I dropped my kids off at school, puppy class, and other socializing (came with me when I visited my sister's house and things like that). We also didn't go out much in the evenings, so she had that time with us as well. In short, it's do-able but takes a bit of effort to make sure the pup's physical, social, and mental needs are being met.
    Thanks for sharing!
    When the puppy is home unsupervised, where is a good place the puppy should be? Kennel outside the house, crate inside, or other? How old a lab puppy can be loose in the backyard or indoor? Is it even possible to leave a lab indoor unsupervised?

arlinevg is offline Member

What did you decide to do? Did you get a puppy after all?

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    Thanks for sharing!
    When the puppy is home unsupervised, where is a good place the puppy should be? Kennel outside the house, crate inside, or other? How old a lab puppy can be loose in the backyard or indoor? Is it even possible to leave a lab indoor unsupervised?

in a crate indoors but not for the full day, they need a break. if you can't take them out midday or get a friend or dog walker, then a solid ex-pen with a potty area.

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

I think it would be hard to own a dog and being left most times alone. Perhaps you can have someone walk your dog on a midday as it needs a break from being inside a crate.

sally's mom is offline Junior Member

Defaultdog walkers

I would recommend a midday dog walker whether you have a puppy or an older dog. Dogs should not be left alone for more than a few hours. They need some companionship and exercise, especially a Labrador! You really should include the expense of a daily dogwalker with your dog budget. Most businesses will work with you offering a discounted rate for weekly walks or bi-weekly payment options. This will also give you the option should you need to call upon someone in an emergency to care for your pup or decide to go away for a few days. Best of Luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast