New lab chasing kitten...HELP
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New lab chasing kitten...HELP

boxall22 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew lab chasing kitten...HELP

Hello, I have adopted a 1 year old female lab that loves to chase my 14 week old kitten. This dog lived in a house with 4 cats & ignored them all. However, she loves to chase mine. Any suggestions?

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

keep her on leash and correct the behaviour. work on bonding and training and a cue like look or touch. it will take time, you need to supervise 100% of the time, tether her to you when you need to get things done.

make sure she gets plenty of exercise both physical and mental.

it is possible the cats she lived with were older and wiser and had put her in her place so she learned not to chase. A kitten moves around more and is more playful so much more interesting to a dog, not at all the same as an adult cat (especially confident ones). plus kittens don't correct dogs.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the cats she lived with were adults & did put her in check! She is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation throughout the day. However, she loves to chase that kitten! If the kitten doesn't run, she pays no mind to it. We have only had Summer( our new dog) for 8 days. I'm hoping with time they adjust. Training is going well. I think the previous owners just let her do as she wished. I have now gotten her to come when she is called, look at me without being told, and to sit before she gets petted, treats, toys etc. I feel we are doing well training together & just taking one day at a time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on Summer! We had a seventeen year old and a three year old cat when our lab Piper came home. Dodger, the older cat, quickly showed Piper who was alpha and all was well with their relationship-they pretty much avoided one another. Weezy, the three year, didn't put Piper in her place and so Piper was a bit more annoying to her. We made sure that there was a baby gate dividing the upstairs and the downstairs from one another so Weezy could get away.

Fast forward six months, we have moved to a rambler. Dodger our oldster has passed on (dammit!) and Weezy became the old cat in the house. Piper still bothered her occasionally but Weezy doesn't really mind, she seems more resigned to it.

Then came Lucy. Cutest kitten EVER. Now Piper had someone to play chase with. Not a good thing and we couldn't block off the upstairs since we no longer had one. We took off the door to the laundry room, put up the baby gate there so Lucy had somewhere to go. Worked okay but not great. Turns out, Lucy would taunt Piper and the game was on. Fortunately Piper really didn't want to hurt anyone, she really just wanted a friend.

And now she has one. It took probably a good month to six weeks for them to work it out but now they play fight, they snuggle, they come find each other first thing in the morning. So my advice is be patient, supervise constantly in the beginning so they don't get bad blood between the them and I think Summer will figure out her place with the kitten. Good luck!

I hope we turn out as lucky as you. She runs so hard & fast, she sounds like an elephant. I am going to gate off both stairways so Summer can't go upstairs. I really hope they become friends. Thanks for sharing your experience.

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

So, how did the weekend go? Are your monsters being naughty or nice???

I gated both stairways and now we have "peace". The kitten still sneaks down, but at least she can get away. I just give Summer a firm "NO" as soon as I see her ears perk forward. So far so good...

+ Reply to Thread