New pup is here. Peeing questions!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pup is here. Peeing questions!

cubby is offline Member

DefaultNew pup is here. Peeing questions!

Our new pup is home. She is so beautiful! it's not my first foray into the labrador world. We previously had a male black lab. Now this new puppy is a female chocolate lab.

So, I've been trying to house train her and I started off giving lots of great praise when she pottied outside. Now i often give her a couple of pieces of kibble when she potties outside. I noticed that she pees a bunch of times each trip outdoors sometimes she pees and takes a few steps and pees again. So first I thought possible UTI? But she really seems fine besides this. She is probably at least 18 pounds, she was almost 17 last Monday. She is 9 weeks old. She's eating, playing, having a grand old time. A I don't think UTI since she would probably not feel great, right? Is it normal for puppies to not get all their pee out at once? Is she just easily distracted? She's been to the vet a week ago and they thought she was in good health then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

That's pretty normal but it sounds like maybe you are asking her to hold it a little long, so it's taking a 2nd to completely empty the bladder.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

cubby is offline Member

Ok. Well I don't think I am asking her to hold it too long. I take her out about every 45 minutes. Even if she has just gone she will go again and look at me. It's almost like she's doing it to get some praise or a treat! She holds it all night from 10pm-6am without waking. I think the longest she has gone during the day without going out is 2 hours. And that is very rare since I've been on vacation all week. I've been trading to leave her in her crate here and there for short periods since I will have to go to work this week.

She does the same thing with pooping too. She will poop, then take a few steps while still hunched in her poop crouch. It's comical. Sometimes she will poop more, but sometimes not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Considering you should count 1 hr for every month to "hold It" (pee wise) I'd say again, you are asking her to hold it too long. But hey, I"m just a breeder of 20 yrs or so. Keep up the the 8 hr holding of urine much longer and I can almost assure you'll have a UTI in no time.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I would run in a urine sample to the vet just to be sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Then you can rule it out. If she is holding it all night from 10 pm to 6 am, she most likely doesn't, but I would still want to be sure. My 8 week old litters sleep through the night as soon as they go home too, isn't it nice?

For the first month or so, I take mine out frequently, (30-45 minutes) so that I catch them before they need to go, to reduce the chance of a pee accident in the house. The more often they eliminate outside, the better. I use a small treat to reward when they go too, and don't worry about her trying to go just to earn a treat, she will, Labs are smart that way. You can wean her off treats later, when a verbal praise works just as well and she is mostly housebroken. Use a cue word or phrase too, "go potty" or "hurry up" etc... That will help give her the right idea too.

Oh, another thought, I don't ever restrict water access, I don't put any in their crates, but they have access all the time other wise. I find that if you restrict water, they will hoard it when they do have access.

cubby is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Considering you should count 1 hr for every month to "hold It" (pee wise) I'd say again, you are asking her to hold it too long. But hey, I"m just a breeder of 20 yrs or so. Keep up the the 8 hr holding of urine much longer and I can almost assure you'll have a UTI in no time.
    Vet said peeing like I described is totally normal. Dog doesn't have a UTI. Do most people set alarms at night and wake their dog up to go to the bathroom? Even with my last pup (12 years ago) I only woke up at night for a week or 2 before he was holding it all night. He never got a UTI in his lifetime. I can see holding it 8 hours during the day would be too much, but its never occurred to me to wake my dog up and make her go out to pee. When I bring her outside during the day when she is sleepy, she lays down on the grass and wants to go back to sleep. Shes certainly not squatting to take a pee. Maybe your dogs have smaller bladders?

hunters_mom is offline Junior Member

I never took my puppy outside to pee at night. He held it all night just fine. If he ever did need to go, he whined and let me know. I think waking up in the middle of the night to a routine to let your puppy out could cause a nasty habit (but this is all just my experience from raising one puppy so take it as you want it).

I'm a little late on this. But I was exactly on the same boat as you! I took my puppy out frequently and he would pee many times. He had problems peeing inside, as well. I knew he understood that he had to go outside because sometimes he would catch himself in the moment and stop to run to the door. I think he didn't quite understand the feeling of needing to pee or it snuck up on him. Sometimes he would have little pees while walking. Honestly, I think he was too caught up in something mentally or didn't feel himself peeing. I agree. They are easily distracted and not thinking about pee. Think about it, his/her whole life, they have peed without giving it a second thought. No thinking 'oh I need to pee' or 'did I empty all the way?' It just happened. I think it takes some time for them to realize how to deal with it. Think about human babies. How often are they in potty training and stop playing, look over and say, "I need to pee," and then it's running down their leg?

So, I was so worried my dog would never learn and pee in the house forever. Then...one day...it stopped. Seriously. Not lying. Overnight there were no more accidents. Not even tiny accidents. He goes outside when he has to pee and has one long pee. When he's lying down, he perks up quickly, then trots over to the door.

I think you're doing just fine and it's totally normal.

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

Our new puppy behaved that way too. We had to run a urine test for fear of her having UTI. The results were fine though. Still, we voiced our concern to our vet. According to her, it's normal behavior for puppies in a new environment. She's peeing normally now.

CallieAndKing is offline Member

We have a six month chocolate female and guess what? She did (and occasionally still does) the same double pee and double poop thing. Our 9 week old yellow does it too but only with the latter… The Chocolate couldn't seem to get the hang of house training and I was at my wits end with her when suddenly, I realized that hey, she hasn't had an accident in days, then weeks and now months…the little yellow? She got the hang of it really quickly and now corrects herself when she forgets and starts to go inside - she'll squat and then suddenly run to the door and yip. Each puppy is different….Angus was trained in three weeks and never had another accident…Kona took four months and I'm predicting that Dreama will have it down in another day or two….unless she decides to regress a bit which does sometimes happen….

After years of raising labs, I think some of them go merrily along their way until one day they realize that the world doesn't revolve around them and that it is a lot bigger and scarier than it used to be. Along with some clinginess, I will suddenly see them revert to accidents in the house. Back to crate training type rules and it usually can be nipped in the bud right quick…but again, there is always the exception to the rule.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

+ Reply to Thread