Three month old eating dry wall!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three month old eating dry wall!

erin1965 is offline Member

DefaultThree month old eating dry wall!

We have a 3 month old yellow girl who has decided she wants to teeth on the house. Favorite house part was the toe boards on the kitchen floor but now she has eaten drywall in the exact same space from the side and edge of a kitchen cabinet 3 times. She has loads of teething toys, including frozen wash cloths. We distract her, we spend time with her, we dote on her. My husband is planning to attach a metal extension to her current favorite location but she is smart and goal oriented - she will just move on to another location. Suggestions? She is excellent in all other imaginable ways, serving as new bff to our 3 year old yellow male who required in-house companionship after he got expelled from doggy day care. (We think he got territorial over "his place" when a new arrival entered one day. But Gumbo isn't giving up any information on that point.) The first time I have ever knowingly rewarded bad behavior, but she is already a dear addition to our family. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

mauricio is offline Senior Member

get a crate or tether her to you. she cant be left to her own, and must be supervised at all times.

erin1965 is offline Member

We do crate her. My husband left her alone for a few minutes or wasn't paying attention the other 2 times. I watch her carefully, but he thinks differently.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

they always think differently but if now has to fix the wall, he may remember to either crate or tether.
    i once had sibs, that ate the aluminum siding. 7 times. yes, it took that long for him to realize that they cant be out back alone. 7 times.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

well then your husband needs to grab a roll of newspapers or a magazine, roll it up, and slap himself with it. Sorry but it's human error not the puppy's fault. The training issue is with the husband not the dog.

Crate, tether, ensure the puppy has appropriate toys to play with and interact with them and the toy to ensure they know they can play with them. NEVER leave the puppy unsupervised, even 2 minutes is long enough to get in trouble.

Make sure she gets lots of play time (age appropriate exercise) and training to work her little brain.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

You wan't to know how to get her to stop? You grab her and show her how unacceptable ruining your home is. End of story. She won't ever do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by erin1965 View Post
    We have a 3 month old yellow girl who has decided she wants to teeth on the house. Favorite house part was the toe boards on the kitchen floor but now she has eaten drywall in the exact same space from the side and edge of a kitchen cabinet 3 times. She has loads of teething toys, including frozen wash cloths. We distract her, we spend time with her, we dote on her. My husband is planning to attach a metal extension to her current favorite location but she is smart and goal oriented - she will just move on to another location. Suggestions? She is excellent in all other imaginable ways, serving as new bff to our 3 year old yellow male who required in-house companionship after he got expelled from doggy day care. (We think he got territorial over "his place" when a new arrival entered one day. But Gumbo isn't giving up any information on that point.) The first time I have ever knowingly rewarded bad behavior, but she is already a dear addition to our family. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    I just want to comment on your three year old being kicked out of day care - any day care that can't control dogs isn't a place I'd want my dog to be. If a dog steps out of line or acts agressively to any other dog during day care they are immediately put in their place and corrected on the spot. No dog should ever be "expelled" from day care...that ridiculous. That just tells me no one at that day care knows how to deal with aggression or dominance so who knows whats going on there.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

xracer,
    Really not surprising to me. It is probably one of the many "kinder/gentler/purely positive" places that are taking over w/ vengeance.

Honestly, I think everyone w/ problem Labradors need to do one thing. Go to the nearest mirror and you'll see who the real problem in the equation is. Really, training a lab is not unlike raising a kid (well, the way we used to be "trained" back in the day...). It's a balance of respect, consistency and actual training/ education that works. It still works.

ANY time one of mine have done something even semi destructive (and that doesn't happen often despite all the dogs I have and breeding I do), it's always been my fault. Crates when you can't watch them, and if outside in a safe area, don't bitch if something is "stolen" and destroyed. lol. Been there, done that.

To Erin, please consider some obedience classes for both of your pups. It was a very bad idea to get a "friend" for your 3 yo. It just doesn't work well that way from this breeders perspective.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    xracer,
    Really not surprising to me. It is probably one of the many "kinder/gentler/purely positive" places that are taking over w/ vengeance.

Honestly, I think everyone w/ problem Labradors need to do one thing. Go to the nearest mirror and you'll see who the real problem in the equation is. Really, training a lab is not unlike raising a kid (well, the way we used to be "trained" back in the day...). It's a balance of respect, consistency and actual training/ education that works. It still works.

ANY time one of mine have done something even semi destructive (and that doesn't happen often despite all the dogs I have and breeding I do), it's always been my fault. Crates when you can't watch them, and if outside in a safe area, don't bitch if something is "stolen" and destroyed. lol. Been there, done that.

To Erin, please consider some obedience classes for both of your pups. It was a very bad idea to get a "friend" for your 3 yo. It just doesn't work well that way from this breeders perspective.
    Yeah I guess so windy...I wonder what happens when two dogs decide to posture and go at it? Think anyone knows how to break up a dog fight without getting themselves hurt or any other dogs hurt? Or worse...one of the dogs get hurt and other dogs join in? But I guess holding treats in the hand and calling them away from each other is worth a try...NOT

i think you usually know if your dog has some "issues" that would get him kicked out of daycare.

and i think, to think,that a daycare is going to keep accepting a dog, that "postures" and gets into fights, in naive.they are liable if something happens to one of the dogs on their watch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast