Three month old eating dry wall! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three month old eating dry wall!

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
    i think you usually know if your dog has some "issues" that would get him kicked out of daycare.

and i think, to think,that a daycare is going to keep accepting a dog, that "postures" and gets into fights, in naive.they are liable if something happens to one of the dogs on their watch.
    Which is exactly why a good daycare separates dogs into different groups based on play, aggression, size, etc. Dogs are monitored every minute of every day...thats what you pay for. If accidents happen it's not the dogs fault - its the employees fault.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

aggressive dogs don't belong in day care, in my humble opinion. it is the owner who needs to take responsibility and train or retrain their dogs, before putting someone else's dog in harms way.

i wouldn't want to think of my dog getting into a brawl, with a dog that is known to be aggressive or a trouble maker. and while the day care may be a good one, dogs will be dogs and stuff happens, even with regular non aggressive dogs. so , imagine a trouble maker and your dog.

and that's if the owners really fess up about their dog's behavior. you know, "not my dog".
    and i think a good daycare does keep dogs monitored, and apart based on personality. but an aggressive dog has no place there or at a dog park.

just my opinion.

reminds me of a few years ago, when my husband was walking our two labs (at the time). met a guy a couple of blocks from us, and he had a lab mix. dogs went to say hello and nick asked "is your boy friendly?"
    "yes". and then the dog lunged at rex, biting him below the eye.

off to the vet, handed the bill to the guy, and the vet said the dog was just adopted two days before and is a patient at the same office as us. so nick questions the guy and he admits he just got the dog.
    i mean , really?
    not the dog's fault -the foolish owner just had to say, "just adopted him so not really sure how he is with other dogs".

erin1965 is offline Member

I appreciate everyone's responses. We are in Puppy Kindergarten, so Tillie and her folks are in training. In general, Gumbo is not an aggressive dog. He has a very distinct alpha side that comes out at times, but I would say 98% of the time he is warm and friendly and wants to play. Certain males in the neighborhood raise his hackles and we just keep him away from those dogs. I should say that when he was a pup himself, a neighbor's pit bull went for him and latched onto him for no reason. I was walking him away from the pit bull but the other owner kept approaching. I knew the other dog had been rescued from a fighting environment as a puppy. Fortunately, we only had some surface wounds to deal with but the encounter scared me and Gumbo to death and I am sure he carries that memory with him. So I am just as invested in keeping him safe.

I of course discussed all of this with my vet before we got Tillie. His own lab was kicked out of the practice's doggy day care in his first 10 minutes. That day care is quite well supervised, and Gumbo went there until they insisted we neuter him at 5 months (we always wait until our males are 2 years old). But our vet routinely attends to dogs who get into scrapes even in that day care.

We have blocked off the problematic area pretty successfully and we supervise closely. I do absolutely agree that part of the problem is with the husband, sure, and the idea of smacking him with a rolled up newspaper is most appealing at times. He wants to wander off and leave the dogs to their own devices when it just is not the wise thing to do. Essentially he thinks his life should not change that much because we have a puppy and of course that's just not the way it is. We are making progress. Most importantly, Gumbo and Tillie are good friends.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

A little pepper sauce, brushed onto the suspect chewing areas will stop the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12