Best treats to use with 8 week old puppy?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best treats to use with 8 week old puppy?

cubby is offline Member

DefaultBest treats to use with 8 week old puppy?

Any suggestions on what kind of treats to buy for a puppy. I am talking about training treats, something I can give the puppy as I am training it to learn its name, learn to sit, come, stay...Something small so its not a big deal if you give a bunch of them. Thanks!

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

use mostly their kibble. take out a portion of their meal and use that for taining. for added bonus treats look for small treats (or those who can cut up) and are made in canada or us. softer treats that are quick to chew are best.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

At 8 weeks, the most effective training that has worked for me is clicker training. Each pups meal is used for the training session. Every kibble. Sit, click, 1 piece of kibble. down, click, 1 piece of kibble. etc. I make them work for each kibble of their meal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I too use kibble thru about 4 mos at least. Not good to mess w/ their diet at this point.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

You mention teaching COME so here is my method and no treats needed at all. This method relies on puppy's natural need to be close to you and a wariness of her new world and being too far away from you. Once puppy gets more confident of venturing away from your side, say around 16 weeks old or so, it won't work.

Simple, puppy will get too far for her own comfort and run back to your side. While she is running to you tell her your name for the action. COME. This is exactly the same as potty training. Wait for the action you want, when it happens give it a name. Lots of praise and pets and hugs but the biggest reward for puppy on the COME is her relief at being safely back by your side where she feels secure. No need for treats at all.

You can increase the number of times you reinforce this by hiding behind bushes or corners. If you have safe off leash places as I do then new places are great to work on this. It must be just you and puppy, no other dogs or people. My puppies were solid on COME in two weeks. It's the first thing they learned.

This is popular in the U.K. and there's a discussion on it at the link below. Note the caveats on safe places.

Puppy off lead

Is puppy home yet? Wanna see.

cubby is offline Member

We are picking our puppy up on Saturday. So 2 more days...

+ Reply to Thread